• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking for irons similar to titleist 762's

tannerman200

Aug 10, 2006
Hey guys getting the golf itch again and wanting to try and pick up a newer iron set. I am looking for something similar to the 762's as that is my current set and I hit them well. I have been looking at the following:

Taylormade r7tp
Titleist 704.cb, 735.cm, 775.cb, ap1
Adams idea pro forged
callaway x-tour,x-forged

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Tanner

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Your 762's were/are great sticks!! They developed a pretty exhaustive cult following. Solid!! The 762 was cast, not forged. However, it was cast of 431SS instead of the more common 17-4SS. The 431 gave a more solid/soft feel, IMHO, than does the 17-4. The 762's were not known for their forgiveness. They were perimeter weighted, which helped. However, they were definitely not the shovels some of the other OEM's were selling at that point in time.

If you want to stay Titleist, and want to stay with current models, I'd go with the CB. It's forged, cavity back, and won't have much more offset than your 762's. The AP is a little more "busy" and wouldn't be the "vanilla workhorse" you were used to with the 762's. The CB's are beautiful and I always enjoyed the Titleist forging feel.
The new forged cavity back irons from Adams have stirred some interest in the industry. The CB-2 is a little more busy, but a really good looking stick. Depending on your game, I'd like a chance to play the Adams CB-1. Again, nothing there but a very playable, perimeter weighted, good looking iron set.
The Callaways mentioned are highly respected. Either would make a great set of irons. Callaway is noted for its excellent customer service. They own one of the two best customer service departments in the industry. The Callaway forgings will feel similar to the Titty CB and not too much different than your 431SS in the 762's.
The only other stick I would consider to replace a set of 762's would be the Ping S57 or, any day now, the new S56. The Ping "S" line sets up like a blade but has the forgiveness of a cavity back. Ping's heat treatment process has rendered their "S" line to have a feel frightenly similar to a forged iron. I think you would find those as solid as your 762's.

I don't know how quickly you want to make the move. Again, if it were I, I'd go to the Ping website and look for the closest Ping fitting cart. You can plug in your zip code and the certified Ping fitters in your area will come up. Go there and compare the "S" and "I" lines to your current Titleists. A certifed fitter will have some clubs for you to hit and get the feel of. The custom fitting options with Ping are endless.

Please... All the above includes a bushel basket full of my own opinions. But, in the golf industry, you'll get plenty of those. Do your research. Go find the clubs that interest you and try to hit them. It should become evident fairly quickly which ones you will narrow your search down to. Good luck!!!!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
How much newer do you want? If you want something in the last 2-3 yrs the CB's from titleist are about the most beautiful Iron set I have seen in several years. Those would be what I would buy if I had the $$. Mizuno MP line (60,62, 57 etc.). Or go back a few years for a set of Hogans, can't go wrong with Hogan's-pre callaway purchase since Cally shelved them. Apex FTX, beautiful set. Cally X forged from 07 look sweet but I have heard guys have ballooning issues with them!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Tannerman... Where's Boone, NC?? Are you anywhere near "Earl"?? Or, are you more inland than where that is supposed to hit?

OP
T

tannerman200

Aug 10, 2006
I am more inland than where it will hit. I live in the mountains in the northwest part of the state....beautiful country. As far as the irons go.......did a little more research and am not ruling out the AP2's. do you think they will have similar forgiveness to the 762? Also, really liking the look of the R7 TP irons.....not sure what to do.....titleist has done well for me over the years. Ordered a 6 iron 704.cb to see how i like the newer cavity backs. We will see.

OP
T

tannerman200

Aug 10, 2006
ordered a set of r7tp's and a couple 6 irons from different sets of titleist cb's . we will see what wins

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online