• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking for new irons

jreed

Oct 27, 2006
Im looking for a new set of game improvement irons to replace my clones. I want something that I can use as my game improves. I have been looking at a few different clubs: Taylor Made RAC HT, Nike NDS, Infiniti Assure, Cleveland Launcher LP, Cleveland TA6, and Cobra 3100/3400. Anyone have any suggestions/opinions. I am on a tight budget so that will definitely be a consideration.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
I just recently traded up from a very old set of Cobras to the 3400 I/XHs and found the difference in forgiveness and my ability to hit them was astounding, although it took some getting used to, and I very much doubt I could do anything even resembling (deliberate) shot-shaping with them for the forseeable future.

What amazed me most was that, with the old Cobras (which were 'game improvement' in their own right) I could only comfortably hit up to the 7i withy any confidence the 6i if I was doing well), and had to carry hybrids right down to 31*. With the 3400s I played a round a couple of weeks ago and was hitting the 5i better than I've ever hit any club, and was even smashing the 4i out there way better than I ever thought I would. I may keep the 4i out of the bag just because I can hit the equivalent hybrid so well, but I wouldn't ever fear taking that 4i out on a round with me.

I think the 3400s are dropping heavily in price with the newer Cobras now out in most retailers. I dropped the pitching wedge from the set, so carry the 5i to 9i and carry a Solus 47* at the moment just to close the gaps in my wedges, but that changes on a round to round basis! I have the 4i, PW and GW sitting next to my bag with a couple of spare wedges, so I can put in whatever takes me as I head out of the door.

(Note - this can lead to fun when you put in the clubs and don't check, and arrive at a the course with a 48*, 50*, 56* and 64* as I did the other week)

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
You also want to look at Mizuno MX-23's. They are going for a great price now, and are a nice soft forged game improvement club.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
TM rac OS2's...great irons, saw them on one of the websites for $299 brand new 3-PW...that's a great deal!!

OP
J

jreed

Oct 27, 2006
If you happen to come across the site, let me know!

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
You can get the OS 2's for 369 at Rockbottomgolf. The TM HT's are 299.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Check www.taylormadegolf.com for the differences...I believe the HT's are older clubs. They're both older than the R7's, but the OS2's are still being produced and listed on TM's site as new.

🔥 Latest posts