• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

looking for some super game improvement irons for lighter pockets?

ballhog

Jun 10, 2009
Hey yall, i'm about to purchase a set of irons in a couple weeks, and I have been trying to figure out what the best option for a price of under $250 for some super game improvement (when I say that I mean major cavity back) irons and would like to know if anybody had any input for me?

I have been looking into the '08 big berthas, i love those but they are kinda above my price bracket. I also looked at some Maxfli irons that come with hybrids and woods and even a driver from dicks for around $250, and also some Slazenger Raw Distance clubs, around $200,

any other options i'm missing here? any reccomendations for a good price would be appreciated, thanks

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
have you checked online at callaway pre-owned ?

eek, nevermind the 08's are still $$$ at $560 :wow:

OP
B

ballhog

Jun 10, 2009
have you checked online at callaway pre-owned ?

eek, nevermind the 08's are still $$$ at $560 :wow:

Yea, I checked those on that site pre-owned and they were still too far up there for me right now, although I did see a few used for ~$300 on Ebay, does anyone have experience with those cheaper sets such as the Maxfli or the Slazenger?

PingZing2

Can you HACK it?
Jun 6, 2005
Yea, I checked those on that site pre-owned and they were still too far up there for me right now, although I did see a few used for ~$300 on Ebay, does anyone have experience with those cheaper sets such as the Mizuno or the Slazenger?

Mizuno makes some very good irons.

xman1112

May 8, 2009
Wilson Staff. I got a brand new set of Di7's on Ebay last year for under $200. 4 thru Gap. Easy to hit, great reviews. Lofts are stronger and shafts are 3/4" longer; you can club down at least one club length on most shots. There are 3 lines : D (distance) C (control) and P (Pro?) Padraig Harrington uses them.

Check out the user reviews at : GolfReview.com - Golf Equipment Reviews

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
For under $250 you should be able to find a nice set of Mizuno MX-23s or 25s.

Or as Lyle says, the Acer and Dynacraft stuff Hireko sells is very good for the money, and they have a lot of stuff on sale right now, including used sets of clubs.

I have a nice set of Mizuno MX-11s with spined/floed Dynalite Gold regular shafts and new Lamkin grips that I will sell for $150.

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
Well, I just was reading all the reviews for the CI6 and DI7 models, and I'm convinced that the CI7's are probably one of the best irons out there for the price for a mid handicapper. The only thing I didn't like about the reviews was that the PW is only 44deg... I have a 51deg GW so that creates quite a large space there.

I'm currently playing a new set of TopFlite D2 irons and I really like them, but dont have much to compare them too. I'm honestly not sure of the lofts on them, but it has PW and SW, so I think my 51deg fits right between them.

The good part about the TopFlites, is that I paid $249 tax incl for the set at SportChek; Sold the Driver/3w/5w for $80 and the 4/5 hybrids for $60, and sold my old Adams irons for $60... So I ended up paying $50 for a 6-SW set... I dunno If I can beat that price, it definitly suits my current price range for golf clubs. :).

The D2's feel great to hit (much softer feeling then my adams tightlies) and make a nice slappy sound when you hit the ball. They go higher and a club further then my Adams did, and I have been having good results in straightning out my "hooky" Ball flight. I'm currently shooting in the mid/high 80's, however I've been having some bad luck and have had a very poor short game in the only couple rounds I've played so far with these irons.

xman1112

May 8, 2009
The loft on the PW for the Di7's is actually 43. But if you like them, it's worth looking for a wedge to fill that gap.

🔥 Latest posts