• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking to reshaft hybrid

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I'm looking to change out the shaft on my 23* Sonartec Md. They "why?" is not important for this thread, although the answer that seems most appropriate for this group is "because." ;)

One of the questions I have is whether the .370" AccufLEX Evolution iron shaft would work. The tip size is right, the torque rating is in the right neighborhood, and the bend point seems good. so, can an "iron" graphite shaft work for a hybrid?

I was also looking at the Graman UL580 (hybrid or iron model) but I can't find a distributor that carries those models. Any ideas here? (Lyle?)

My goal is to drop a slightly heavier shaft in the club and as well as increase the swingweight just a bit at the same time.

Okay, lay it on me guys...

winders

Sep 23, 2006
Why not use a True Temper Dynamic Gold 300 in R or S?

I love the TT DGS300 in my Baffler Pro....

Scott

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Why not use a True Temper Dynamic Gold 300 in R or S?

I love the TT DGS300 in my Baffler Pro....

Scott

Wouldn't that be a massive jump in weight? The stock iROD comes in at 78g and DGS300s are in the 120 range. What affect would that have?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
The Limey is what I want for my Adams A2. Also read good things about the Fuji Banzai.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Yes, a graphite iron shaft will work fine, but it will limit how long you can go. As long as you plan on staying at 40 inches or under you should be fine. Also be sure to tip trim based on the weight of your hybrid head. Match the weight of hybrid head to the weight of an iron. Then tip trim as is you were trimming for that iron. Most hybrids tend to weigh between a 2 and a 4 iron head in weight. Butt trim to your desired length.
The graman is a great hybrid shaft from I have heard. I personally have not hit it, but people I trust have and liked it a lot. It is a bit pricey at $38 however ;). The fuji banzai is also a good choice.
Try Pheonix golf works, they carry all of the shafts you mentioned and are great people to deal with.
http://phoenixgolfworks.com/graman.html

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Or, contact Graman directly. They have awesome customer service. :)

R35

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Wouldn't that be a massive jump in weight? The stock iROD comes in at 78g and DGS300s are in the 120 range. What affect would that have?
I was actually going to recommend the Steel: Nippon NS Pro 950 that you would find in the original or DWS Bafflers if you want to try one, it weighs in at 98g I believe. Not sure if it will fit your club or not, or if that is still too heavy.

Looking back, I likely believe I would have preferred Cobra's with that shaft when I went with the Halos I got when opting for a lighter graphite shaft.

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
It is a bit pricey at $38 however ;). The fuji banzai is also a good choice.
Try Pheonix golf works, they carry all of the shafts you mentioned and are great people to deal with.
http://phoenixgolfworks.com/graman.html

Shoot, $38 is nothing compared to the Banzai, V2, YS, or NVS; all those are in the $70 range. Also, this would be going in my 23* Md which currently plays at 39.25".

Thanks for the Phoenix GW link!

Or, contact Graman directly. They have awesome customer service. :)

R35

Good call. (I'm not sure yet if I intend the pun here or not ;) )

What changes wrt feel and ball flight could I expect going from a torque rating of 4.0 to <2.5?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I have my Aldila VS proto 95-X just waiting for a 21* MD head.
icon10.gif
Check around for the Banzai. I swear I saw them somewhere for under $30.

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I have my Aldila VS proto 95-X just waiting for a 21* MD head.
icon10.gif
Check around for the Banzai. I swear I saw them somewhere for under $30.

It's a shame I'm looking for something to throw in a 23*. :p Besides, that is too strong of a flex my wimpy as swing.

GS has the Banzai at 49.50 so if I look hard enough I should be able to find it in the 30s...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'll let you know if I come across any deals. Ebay has had some good shaft deals lately.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
chemboy2, I've got an Aldila Hybrid NV 85 S flex that would be a 1 pull from my Adams if you want to buy it...or, you know, trade it for an R flex Limey or Banzai.. :D

Really, I'm just trying to help...hehe.... ;)

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
chemboy2, I've got an Aldila Hybrid NV 85 S flex that would be a 1 pull from my Adams if you want to buy it...or, you know, trade it for an R flex Limey or Banzai.. :D

Really, I'm just trying to help...hehe.... ;)

I don't know, that Limey is looking better and better all the time.

Btw, I just found Banzai's for $35 from some place out of AZ.

The Banzai has the same torgque rating as my current iROD (4.0). I'm back to wondering what changes I would see and feel with torque in a hybrid. I mean, the Limey and Evolution are in the low twos so that is at least a 1.5 delta...

🔥 Latest posts