• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Losing Weight

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
So a new year beckons and new year's resolutions become the thing we often try to adhere to. For a while at least :laugh:

I am committed to having a good year in '08 and plan to put a few things in place to assist me having a good year and helping me become a better and happier person.

The main thing I am going to concentrate on is losing weight. I have been overweight for a good number of years now, and although few people tend to notice as my 6ft. 3" frame helps to disguise it somewhat, according to weight charts and so forth, I am deemed to be "obese." :shark:

I weighed myself this morning before having a shower and was 17st. 2lbs. That is 240lbs, right ? I am ashamed to say that I have been as much as more than a stone heavier than this before. Shocking. My aim is to lose 25lbs or more by mid March.
Now my eating is horrendous. That is the main and only factor to the state I am in as I do a hell of a lot of walking. I would walk at least 6 or 7 miles a day at a brisk pace. I also play golf, of course, although am only playing once every couple of weeks at the minute.

A typical day's eating for me would be a couple of glasses of water and a mouthful or two of fruit juice - orange or apple juice in the mornings, followed by a large bowl of cereal, or if I am in a hurry, a couple of Nuitrigrain bars. I have been known at times to have a fried breakfast which of course is a bad idea and is costly for putting weight on.

For lunch I would tend to walk to a Subway. I would always refrain from having any salad and just choose to have the meat and cheese fillings and some BBQ sauce. If I don't have the time to walk I will have a chicken fillet burger and mayo from the mobile catering van which parks outside my work. I am going to take my own lunch into work, however, when I return in the new year I plan to make my own sandwiches and bring them in with me. A yoghurt and a piece of fruit would also make up a good, healthy lunch. This will also mean that my excessive spending at lunch time will stop.

At work I don't finish until 8pm for the first 3 days of the work, therefore you can imagine that when I walk the 35 minutes it takes me to walk home I am starving and am tempted to buy a snack when I am going past the many shops on my way. I often buy a couple of bars of chocolate and a packet of crisps and will then also get a pizza or something a little later as it is late, I am tired and I cannot be bothering making anything myself. This equates to me spending even more money and of course, putting on weight at the worst time I could be eating it.

I will have to lose about 2.5lbs per week if I am to get to my desired weight. IF I could eat properly I reckon I can manage this, but the problem is that I really do have an addcition to junk food.
I was getting personal training sessions with a trainer at the gym and she said that I only think I am addicted to it, but I am not so sure. I have lived so long with it being a major factor in my life that this is going to be really tough; even tougher, in fact than giving up fruit machines, or smoking: two things that I have been addcited to for long periods in the past.

I just thought I would write and see if any of you guys had attempted to lose a substantial amount of weight like this before and what your outcomes were. I, myself, am going to drink lots of water, become more active in everything I do, continue to walk the few miles each day to and fro work, go to the gym a lot more, eat much less and eat better types of food. Try and replace chocolate and biscuits with fruit and yoghurts, and only have high fibre, wholewheat bread as opposed to white. I play golf with a dietician (sp?) and he said that eating white bread is a real killer in terms of putting weight on.
If I am sitting on the internet a habit of mine in the past would have been to sit in front of the computer and eat something like 4 packets of crisps/whole box of Pringles and a full packet of biscuits. Real heavy junk food eating.

I am going to make a concious effort from now (have been doing this relatively well in the past few days) until I have reached my goal in weight. I think it is important to not cut things out completely as I have attempted not to eat chocolate, for example for a few days before, and then eating a whole load of it after the cravings had become too strong.

Anyways, I am looking forward to this challenge. I am pretty obsessed my losing weight now and am determined to do this this time. here's hoping I am successful.

Andy :)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It all depends on your bodytype and how your body handles it. Sometimes you actually have to eat more to lose weight. Eating 5-6 smaller meals a day will actually speed up metabolism in a lot of cases. How much beer do you drink? That can be a killer, taking in all those carbs and water, most of the time before bed as well. Lots of guys do this and don't eat a lot, thinking it shouldn't matter as much as a guy who eats like a slob all day, then drinks. It can actually end up being the opposite since the body sort of "hangs on" to all the carbs and water "in fear" that it will not have sufficient supply on hand.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
No alcohol.

None.

Zero.

It metastasizes to sugar.

I need to lose 40lbs. I'll do it with you and we'll see who loses the most by March.

6'0" 230lbs

See you on the scales fatty. :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Here's an easy way to think about losing weight, no matter what your body type is:

You need to burn more calories everyday than what you put in. So, if you eat 4000 calories in a day, you need to exercise enough to exceed that amount. Otherwise, you're in a losing battle.

You can still eat crap, drink beer, etc. You just have to remember that those types of foods will increase your daily goal by alot.

Keep the mentality that if you're eating 2000 calories a day, you need to exercise enough to get to about 2400 (20% more) to make a dent in your daily routine. You'd be surprised how difficult this is to do.

240? Yikes. I'm 5'11" and weight 188lbs and I consider myself at least 15 lbs overweight.:laugh:

If it helps, I had a friend that was 245 and he came down to 205 in 6 months from using the "calories in vs calories out" diet.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
240? Yikes. I'm 5'11" and weight 188lbs and I consider myself at least 15 lbs overweight.:laugh:

R35

Larda$$
icon10.gif
Even after the Xmas meals, 6'1" 145.5 this morning. :laugh:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Which is why you have to buy your clothes in the ladies department. :biglol:

Ha, ha, ha. Very funny but I'm actually indebted to you guys. I can always count on the 31x34's being on the sale rack next to the L/T shirts.
icon10.gif

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Ha, ha, ha. Very funny but I'm actually indebted to you guys. I can always count on the 31x34's being on the sale rack next to the L/T shirts.
icon10.gif

Lol @ both you guys :D

Are you really a 34" leg, dude ? I am 32.5 to be exact. Have a long back, though.

Slingblade: You're on, dude :) That'll give me an extra bit of incentive

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Last April I weighed 265 lbs. (6'0"). This September I weighed 215 lbs. (still there). 50 lbs.!!! All I did was NO SUGAR and NO POTATOS, WHITE RICE, WHITE BREAD etc. That combination puts on blubber!! Whole wheat bread, pasta and it just melts off. And I didn't exercise any more then normal. Get an exercise routine and cut back your portions and just imagine what you can lose!! :)

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Post picture Andy (leave your clothes on) and I'll do the same so we have something to go by.

Me and the Mrs. on 12/24
fatty2.jpg
fatty.jpg

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
Larda$$
icon10.gif
Even after the Xmas meals, 6'1" 145.5 this
morning. :laugh:

Jesus man. Hit the gym and pump up the quads. I'm 5'10 182 lbs and have little if any excess fat. I've been at the gym a lot for the last 3 months, so I've put on a lot of weight, especially in the lower body. I'm quite fortunate to have very good genetics, since my family on both sides is very athletic.

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
Yeah, that's my New Year's resolution, too.

Lose weight. Again.

6'4'' and like 290lbs. :real angry: I'm trying to lose 50 - I'd be pretty respectable if it weren't for the roll hanging over, yeah know?

🔥 Latest posts