• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Losing your spot at the turn.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Okay WG, I'm getting AARP after you!!! :D

AARP police:ugly25:
4 more years & I get my card, get any golfing discounts with it?

CRAZY day ! Perhaps a full Moon that night ?

As good an excuse as anything else. Whats weird is I figured 11:00 am on a friday & this course is 4 miles out of town & is never all that busy. Figured I would have the place to myself. I have been to courses on saturday afternoons that had less business then they had going on. The guy in front of me in the clubhouse was paying for the members of his outing, they were teeing off at 1:00. 20 people total & this guy handed over $600+ for fees. It's not a real pricey course as before 3:00 it's $30 for 18 with a cart.

loftgolf

noob no more!
Jun 13, 2008
I was going to make a cruel statement such as "relax, they'll be dead soon and will no longer hold you up", but the more I thought about how cruel that is I decided against it. And all you people thought I was heartless:biglol:

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
was just a freak day but the course also happens to be on the far west side of Madison in Middleton. The people who live there like to look down on others & overall have a snobby attitude.

Aint that the truth...great place, and a beautifull city..but damn most of the people are about as rude as it gets.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
And it doesn't make any sense, it's not like they are movie stars or anything. Sure they don't have the ghetto areas that the east side has but it's hilarious when you go into a Home Depot or similar store & they act as if they are shopping on Rodeo drive in Hollywood.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I have never been to the home depot on the west side...but i know what you mean.

The GF loves to shop in middleton...:rolleyes:

I was on the west side again today, they have the only Nevada Bobs around. Took the R1 to save some gas, needed to pick up a headcover for my wifes TM hybrid that I had forgotten to get when we bought the club.
Shopping in Middleton is going to get even worse when that Costco opens up.

My wife prefers shopping on State Street for some reason. Personally I can't stand it.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Man...i HATE state street with a passion...sorry...that was very RIGHT of me...if ya know what i am sayin...

Greenway station is a favorite of my g/f's...

Stooonne

Jul 17, 2008
Got out of work at 10:00 today so I hit Tumbledon Trails for 18. Don't people work anymore?? There was a decent sized amount of people playing but I will save the worst for a different topic.

Anyways, there was nobody in front of me for the 1st 5 holes, on the 6th I caught up to an older husband & wife, they were probably early 70's. The man was slicing everything horribly & had maybe 150yd drives, his wife was outdriving him, yet the 4some in front of him would be 250+ yds out & he wouldn't hit. Fine I took the extra time to screw off in the middle of the long par 5 & just worked on my Burner Hybrid since nobody was behind me. They finish up the 9th & I am right on their heels. They head off & go into the clubhouse while I proceed to the 10th tee. There is a 4some teeing off & just as they are far enough out where I can proceed, the old couple come pulling up & he is eating a hotdog.

The guy tells me "you are supposed to be behind us". I tell him that he lost his place in line when he went into the clubhouse for food, he starts to argue & his wife starts bitching about it too. They would not accept the facts as presented & he was getting riled up, never mind that I could play 4 holes in the time they play 1. Now I am getting a bit pissed off about this but I don't want it to affect my game so I tell him to step up & hit another 100 yarder into the woods. Just as he starts to walk up to the tee, I decide there is no way I can have these coots in front of me because now it's a matter of ettiquette & principal. So I make the easy decision & simply drive straight down the fairway & skip the damn hole. The rd was going bogey/par/bogey/par, etc. Very easy hole so I just mark down a par & go to the 11th.

Why do some folks need to get all pissy about stupid shit like this? Do they like me playing right up their ass???? Should I have told him to just sit down & wait his turn?

Were they keeping up with the 4some ahead of them? Unless there was a huge gap between the old couple and the 4some, I may have to agree with them on the issue. If there was a 4some ahead of them, you weren't going to play any faster anyway. It really does sound as if they were keeping the gap minimal between themselves and the group ahead of them.

I hit drives of about 250 I'd say, and if a group is 325 yards out hitting their balls, I generally don't hit. It's not like my hitting will speed up play, because I'll have to way for them on the green for my next shot anyway. I don't want to catch one and hit it 275 to be close enough where they can hear the ball land behind them.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
If by keeping up you mean waiting until the 4some had cleared the green on a 340 yd hole so the old man could slice one 100yds into the woods...then yep I suppose they were keeping up.

But this isn't even what it's about, it's the fact they left the course & went into the club house. How in the hell does anyone know if they are coming back out & when??? Is everyone simply supposed to sit back & wait for them to return eventually if at all? Fact is got done with the 18th & they were still on the 14th, so no they weren't keeping pace of play anyways.

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
But this isn't even what it's about, it's the fact they left the course & went into the club house. How in the hell does anyone know if they are coming back out & when??? Is everyone simply supposed to sit back & wait for them to return eventually if at all?

Exactly. Your tee was in the ground and the fairway was clear. It was your play even if the guy still didn't have a hot dog in his face.

You could have teed off and cleared the fairway in the amount of time the guy wasted arguing with you, finishing his dog, getting ready, and teeing off.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I say, if you do not procede directly to hole 10 you loose your spot...shouldn't be any different than any other hole. If i ran back to the clubhouse after number 1 to grab a soda, should i be able to come back to two and get in front of the next group, even if i was fast enough(or the course was slow enough) to get back before the group ahead of me cleared the fairway? No...

Leave the course(for the parking lot, bathroom, hotdog, line of coke, itch yourself, etc) lose your position, plain and simple, end of story.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I say, if you do not procede directly to hole 10 you loose your spot...shouldn't be any different than any other hole. If i ran back to the clubhouse after number 1 to grab a soda, should i be able to come back to two and get in front of the next group, even if i was fast enough(or the course was slow enough) to get back before the group ahead of me cleared the fairway? No...

Leave the course(for the parking lot, bathroom, hotdog, line of coke, itch yourself, etc) lose your position, plain and simple, end of story.

Bingo, we have a winner!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005

Depends on the course. Some courses have signs that say "5 minute time limit at the turn."

The course should make it's policy known, golfers shoould understand and abide by that policy. And people should learn to be aware of what's going on around them, and learn to be less selfish (I'm talking about the old guy hitting his 100-yard slices AFTER the group cleares the green 300 yards ahead - GOD I HATE THAT...)

Stooonne

Jul 17, 2008

That's not how it works around here at all.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
That's not how it works around here at all.

So tell us exactly what policy it is around your area? How long should someone have to wait before they go on & play? Are you supposed to ask everyone going into the clubhouse at the turn if they are coming back?

I have yet to find a course around here where the policy is anything other than...leave the course & you lose your spot.

I suppose if you go grocery shopping & while you are in line remember you need to grab something else. So you take your cart & head down an isle, grab what you need & come back. Do you expect "your spot" in line to still be there?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.