• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Losing your spot at the turn.

RustyL

Sep 20, 2007
Wi, you were in the right on this one. i play by myself most times and is no telling how many times I skip a hole in front of 2 and 4 somes. Not worth the confrontation on my part. I know myself too well, i'll say something that I will regret only to ruin my round. I've been trying hard to bust into the low 80's and just can't do it. Dayum golf.

I travel about 65 miles to play a round last week, by myself, it took me 5 hours to play 18 holes, simply because of waiting on people.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Wi, you were in the right on this one. i play by myself most times and is no telling how many times I skip a hole in front of 2 and 4 somes. Not worth the confrontation on my part. I know myself too well, i'll say something that I will regret only to ruin my round. I've been trying hard to bust into the low 80's and just can't do it. Dayum golf.

I travel about 65 miles to play a round last week, by myself, it took me 5 hours to play 18 holes, simply because of waiting on people.

At my 2 local courses which I play all the time, if a hole is backed up with a couple of 4somes I will skip it in a heartbeat. Have played the courses so many times that I really don't care.

Stooonne

Jul 17, 2008
So tell us exactly what policy it is around your area? How long should someone have to wait before they go on & play? Are you supposed to ask everyone going into the clubhouse at the turn if they are coming back?

People get ready to play as if nobody is in front of them. Once the group in the fairway ahead clears and you have room to hit, then tee off. If the other group fails to come back before you tee off, they lose their spot. If they come back before you tee off, they keep playing in their turn. Simple as that.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
If everyone played ready golf and was cognizant of those on the course, it really shouldn't matter if you did or did not pass them at the turn.

Personally, I think if you stop, you have the right to be passed. I will pass at the turn if the group is slow, but not if the group is a victim of a slow group ahead of them. I personally feel it isn't right to pass if the group ahead is the one with the problem, because they are in the same boat as you.

Jun 24, 2006
Well, since they got back after it would have been clear for them to hit you should have told him to sit his ass down, and have another hot dog.

jmac07

Jul 12, 2006

I've come across this problem far too often... I tend to play much faster than everyone else on the course. What I would have done... or what has worked for me in the past is to simply tell them that you need to be done by a certain time and ask if you can join them. Play the 10 WITH them and then scoot ahead and tell them your gonna play the rest of the back by yourself.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
wi-golfer

I am on your side 100% on this one. There is nothing that gets my blood pressure up like people waiting when the group in front is so out of range it isnt even funny. The worst is on a par 5 when a clown who hasnt hit a driver over 200 yards all day is waiting for the green to clear from 320 out with a bad lie in the rough and a 3 wood in his hand. I feel like killing these people. Maybe I will buy them a bus ticket.

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
Wi
I think you should have invited the old couple to join you as they might have a hot divorcee daughter looking for a meaningful overnight relationship.

But thats just me.:D

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
wi-golfer

I am on your side 100% on this one. There is nothing that gets my blood pressure up like people waiting when the group in front is so out of range it isnt even funny. The worst is on a par 5 when a clown who hasnt hit a driver over 200 yards all day is waiting for the green to clear from 320 out with a bad lie in the rough and a 3 wood in his hand. I feel like killing these people. Maybe I will buy them a bus ticket.

I see that exact scenario so often & it's repeated over & over. Why do they think magically they are going to crank one out there? hell I know my best drives are only in the 250 range, have had a few freaks that ended up at 270 but not worth mentioning. So if someone is at least 270 yds away I will fire at will. And lord help you if you actually mention to them they haven't hit a straight shot yet or anything over 175yds much less 200.

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
I see that exact scenario so often & it's repeated over & over. Why do they think magically they are going to crank one out there? hell I know my best drives are only in the 250 range, have had a few freaks that ended up at 270 but not worth mentioning. So if someone is at least 270 yds away I will fire at will. And lord help you if you actually mention to them they haven't hit a straight shot yet or anything over 175yds much less 200.

yea, my dad does the same thing. 500 yard par 5, they are at the 200 yard marker. I tell him he can hit now, and hes not going to hit the slow group in front, they are 250 yards out, and He'll drive 220.

We waited until they were 300 yards out for a nice 150 yard slice. Luckily it bounced back out after hitting a tree.

and as far as playing 10 with them, I would have teed off with them, and then ditched them.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
and as far as playing 10 with them, I would have teed off with them, and then ditched them.

I felt like going Ezra on the old guy & shove the damn hotdog down his throat then punch him in the face:killersmiley:

Seriously though, his attitude pissed me off & I wasn't going to allow him to ruin my rd.

BTW, I contacted the owner of the course & he apologized. He wasn't there friday but did manage to get the names of the drunk guys who put the cart into the fence as well as the drunks playing as an 8some. The 4some is on his "not allowed to play" list for now. Plus he offered me as he put it "compensation", when I play again.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
People get ready to play as if nobody is in front of them. Once the group in the fairway ahead clears and you have room to hit, then tee off. If the other group fails to come back before you tee off, they lose their spot. If they come back before you tee off, they keep playing in their turn. Simple as that.
Simple. Unless the course policy is different. If there was signage that allowed 5 minutes at the turn, and you jumped ahead of me (open space or not) within my allotted 5 minutes, I'd have a problem with that.

loftgolf

noob no more!
Jun 13, 2008

I don't know why it is, but if the group in front of me are 250 yards out, and I hit, I'll hit the ball about 250 yards. If I wait for them to clear, I'll hit the ball 40 yards! I'd rather yell 'fore' and apologize than post another sweet snowman on the card!:thumbs up:

goodearth58

Feb 6, 2014
Little River Sc.
Country
Played as a 2some yesterday at Aberdeen ( www.http://playaberdeen.com ) behind a 4some that couldn't hit their second more than 75 yards. It was a slow day at the course so we just dropped our pace and enjoyed the morning. At the turn we asked to play though and they were a nice group of guys so we teed off and and picked it up to our normal speed. Today it is a 12:30 tee time at river hills in Little river Sc. ( Welcome to River Hills Golf and Country Club - Little River, SC - Myrtle Beach Golf - River Hills Golf near Myrtle Beach ) and I'm just hoping not to put too many balls in the water!

🔥 Latest posts