• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lost the will to play... Someone call the nursing home!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Played 9 last Saturday and only 7 last Sunday. Back was giving me fits. Monday, did something to my right knee. (It's the "good one". The left was replaced with a titanium one in '09.) By Monday night the knee had a lump on the ligaments/muscles just above it the size of a small grapefruit. Couldn't hardly even put weight on it. That seemed to heal to where I mowed yesterday and went for a couple mile walk today. Could have played yesterday. Just didn't have the "want to". Mowed, cleaned out the garage, napped, watched a movie. Tourney at the course today. In the past, we'd have played another course. Again... couldn't get motivated. Went for a walk. Went grocery shopping. Met with our financial planner. A "ho hum" day.
Scheduled to play early tomorrow. Rain predicted. If there's a clap of thunder or I count more than 7 raindrops... I'll take tomorrow off also. Just don't have that mindset that I used to. I'm hoping I just suffered a little burnout. My last few rounds were the best of the season. Was playing lights out, for an old man.
Folks say, "Retire so you can play golf every day!" Right now, being relegated to being obligated to play golf every day isn't that inviting. Am I that close to being ready to check in to the local nursing home and hang it up????
Hopefully, by mid-week I'll be stoked to play next weekend. Hopefully, the fire will rekindle. Hopefully.......

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Played 9 last Saturday and only 7 last Sunday. Back was giving me fits. Monday, did something to my right knee. (It's the "good one". The left was replaced with a titanium one in '09.) By Monday night the knee had a lump on the ligaments/muscles just above it the size of a small grapefruit. Couldn't hardly even put weight on it. That seemed to heal to where I mowed yesterday and went for a couple mile walk today. Could have played yesterday. Just didn't have the "want to". Mowed, cleaned out the garage, napped, watched a movie. Tourney at the course today. In the past, we'd have played another course. Again... couldn't get motivated. Went for a walk. Went grocery shopping. Met with our financial planner. A "ho hum" day.
Scheduled to play early tomorrow. Rain predicted. If there's a clap of thunder or I count more than 7 raindrops... I'll take tomorrow off also. Just don't have that mindset that I used to. I'm hoping I just suffered a little burnout. My last few rounds were the best of the season. Was playing lights out, for an old man.
Folks say, "Retire so you can play golf every day!" Right now, being relegated to being obligated to play golf every day isn't that inviting. Am I that close to being ready to check in to the local nursing home and hang it up????
Hopefully, by mid-week I'll be stoked to play next weekend. Hopefully, the fire will rekindle. Hopefully.......

Kiss my ass with your complaining. You get to tee it forward and with all that experience havent turned in the lowest round you can.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Kiss my ass with your complaining. You get to tee it forward and with all that experience havent turned in the lowest round you can.

Why you ungrateful, young whippersnapper. If'n I thought I could drive to 'Bama goin' more than 50 miles at a time between pee stops... and, I thought I could find my way back home... I'd drive right on down there and kick your young flat-belly butt!!! :D:D
Tee it forward?? One time... ONE time this year and that was one of the rules set forth in the Members Only Tourney. Have shot as low as 77 this year from the regular (white) tees. Ain't no "playin' it forward" for me. As long as I can hit every drive past the ladies tee box and don't have to drop my drawers, I'll play from here, thank you!!!!;)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I played from the senior tees today to accommodate two old guys (older then me) I was playing with and I actually got into more trouble with the tee shot doing it. Distance gain is not all it's cracked up to be. And if I were close to you limp, I'd drag you out to the golf course for the whole day!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Personally, I think limp has finally realized that he will never, ever shoot par (again, if you have)...never. He simply doesn't have the game anymore.

So yeah, I think you should sell the clubs and take up shuffleboard, you old fart.

Man, just imagine how it would've felt if you'd had the balls to hang in there and shoot par...especially at your age...guess you'll never know now...

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
That happens to me once a year or so. I give it a week or two without even thinking of golf. After that I get the itch to play really bad
That's happening to me as I type. I played 9 this morning and it was a horror show. I drove the ball really well (had 2 drives of 300ish in the fairway), after that it was like I had never played the game before. Skulling wedges from 110ish and just off the green. Hitting the ball instead of the sand before it in bunkers. Hitting irons like crap. And then putt like average. It pissed me off enough to toss a club back towards my bag and curse myself for wasting the $ to be out there. Couldn't wait to be done.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I've never lost the will to play. I have lost the money to play, but not the will.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Sorry!!!! I did NOT mean to drag everyone down. Shoot! I woke up this morning! The Good Lord has blessed me with yet another day on this Earth. That's GREAT!!

Had quite an interesting talk with our financial advisor, yesterday. He can't understand why I don't retire. Well, in today's uncertainty, how long will what you have put back last? I enjoy what I do. So, why not keep on plugging away? Like we talked... We don't have much, but there are so many who have less. My knee hurts, but there are those who can't walk. Our three kids all talk to each other... probably more than they talk to us. Having three kids spread all over the Country, each having their own responsibilities... and have them all on speaking terms???!!!!????

If I weren't to play one more round of golf, I've still way ahead of millions who have never had that opportunity. But... I WILL play more golf and much more! It was still raining this morning so I went out to the clubhouse for coffee. A half-dozen of us sat around telling jokes we'd all heard before. We talked about long drives and shanked wedges. We cussed and discussed Tiger. The love of my life worked to cook up a great Sunday dinner. She cooked enough for 12, instead of 2. Together we ate what would have fed 6.

So... Limp's just fine!! Don't let this old coot and his depressing talk of aging get you down. It really ain't all that bad!!!!!!:)

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
That happens to me once a year or so. I give it a week or two without even thinking of golf. After that I get the itch to play really bad
Im scared to death if I take a few days off I'll forget how to swing the club and have to start from scratch.. :D

🔥 Latest posts