• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Low Compression Balls

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
So I want to try an experiment. I love the Srixon Z-Stars, great off the tee and plenty of spin around the greens. They make a Z-Star SL, low compression (80). I have a 105 mph or so swing speed. I want to try the low compression balls and see what happens. Has anyone here ever tried anything like this? Results? Thoughts?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I've used the Wilson 50, it feels really good (to me)!coming off all clubs-almost mushy. Results weren't bad. I generally like a softer feeling ball.

Honestly, at out level I haven't found a ton of performance difference between $20 balls and $45 balls so I usually go with what feels good around the green.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Yesterday the pro gave me two sleeves of zstar and qstar demo balls. The little 2 ball sleeves, with a white and yellow ball marked "try me". I did almost as well with the Qstars as I do with my E5s, but the zstar reminds me of ProV, that harder heavier feel.

beeno374

Mar 31, 2013
Cape Town
Country
South Africa South Africa
I used to start my 18 playing the Q-star because of its low spin rate and the fact that it goes straight. I would then switch to a Z-star XV because it performs so much better around the greens. We don't always hit balls to warm up like the pros so the first few holes is your warm-up.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I try and warm up before every round but youre right we don't always have the time.

I've played and liked both the Q and Z Stars but what I'm looking for is someone like Jim that has tried a lower compression ball and their thoughts. I suspect he is right though, probably doesn't make much of a difference for us hackers.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
If you found some SL's and like em you better grB a bunch. They discontinued them last year. I bought a dozen and they're really good. Swing speed is bout the same as yours.

OP
Fairwaysplitter3320

Fairwaysplitter3320

Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
If you found some SL's and like em you better grB a bunch. They discontinued them last year. I bought a dozen and they're really good. Swing speed is bout the same as yours.
Cool, I'm gonna check it out and report back.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I've had some of those low compression (Wilson 50's are one) come off like knuckleballs. I like the Q-Star but the supposed advantage of hitting a soft ball on cold days theory doesn't hold for me. I've been hitting TopRocks in 55º weather and they seem to work just fine.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.