• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Low Compression Golf Ball Suggestions?

gregfletch

Aug 20, 2006
I have a pretty slow swing speed and don't hit the driver very far (200 on a good shot). 7W is 150 yards, 7 iron is 120 yards, 9 iron is about 100 yards. I've got a strong short game and I'm a very good chipper and putter.

I could really use a few more yards with the Driver and longer clubs. I've got a natural fade that I usually can keep under control - I hit about 60% of my drives in the fairway. I was wondering if anyone out there has a game similar to mine and has tried any of the lower compression balls that are supposedly better for slower swing speeds.

Currently I'm playing the Nike Power Soft, but I've heard that the new Nike Karma and a new Wilson ball are something like a 50 compression which sounds like a good idea for someone like me. Any thoughts or suggestions?

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I have similar swing speeds & distances, and am a fan of Titleist So-Lo's. I'll second the Nikes and If you can find them, Titleist Gran-Z's (Japanese), are very good also.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I think you will make the most gains if you find a way to eliminate the fade... that shot type is a distance killer. Shaft flex is also a consideration.

Barring that, there are a number of good balls for slow swings... if ego isn't a problem, many of the balls designed for women would probably be suitable.

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007
I'm a fan of the DT So/Lo as a decent ball, even though I swing at it pretty hard. I'd have to advise against the Wilson Fifty - it's about as dead as a dead ball can be. (Except for that one time I dropped a really dead ball on the concrete and didn't even bounce an inch... :laugh:)

solarbear88

Jan 3, 2007
Vision golf balls. They are new. Designed by an Australian. Distributed by SMT in the States. I rate them.

While not officially a low-compression ball, I believe the yellow ball plays alot like a low compression golf ball from the 4 rounds I used them. It felt alot like one. The dimple pattern is awesome and helps send the ball straighter as well. Just a great product I think people should try.

Best thing is you can see it from outerspace. Yeah, its that bright which makes the ball easy to find. It absorbs and reflects the sunlight. You have to see how bright it is to believe it.

Vision Golf Ball - Home

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
The new Wilson Staff Zip ball, it has a zero compression core, not sure how that's possible, but it is supposed to be even lower compression than the Wilson Staff Fifty.
Wilson Staff : Zip Ball

OP
gregfletch

gregfletch

Aug 20, 2006
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. There are several here I did not know about so I guess I'll try to get a bunch of different 3 ball packs and try them out on the course...

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Noodle, LoCo, SoLo, Top Flite D2 Feel.

All soft. All uber-cheap at Wal Mart.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
My dad saw a big difference with the DT Solo. Of course I had to do some explaining to him as he wants that "old school" driver flight that starts low and climbs at 150. He hit the Solo higher but longer. Not to mention it's pretty good around the greens as well. They can also be found on Ebay in good used condition for really cheap.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Your distance numbers sound similar to mine with the irons, but will a lower compression ball ACTUALLY give you a noticeable distain gain?

🔥 Latest posts