• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Low Price Golf ball review

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
captglover said:
I'm recently back to the sport, and brought some old Titleist DTs from 25 years ago. they were fine, but I wasn't getting the advantages of the new ball technology. I've hit Maxfly A10 Blues - OK. And Maxfly A10 Black - better. Both were very good price (as they are discontinued). But I am anxious to try something that will give me more spin around the greens without getting too much spin off the tee. All for a good price. :)

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Pro V1x
Was created especially for people looking for exactly the same as you.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
captglover said:
I'm recently back to the sport, and brought some old Titleist DTs from 25 years ago. they were fine, but I wasn't getting the advantages of the new ball technology. I've hit Maxfly A10 Blues - OK. And Maxfly A10 Black - better. Both were very good price (as they are discontinued). But I am anxious to try something that will give me more spin around the greens without getting too much spin off the tee. All for a good price. :)

I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Per the title of the thread, on a budget the Maxfli Rev Tour is longer and has more spin than the A-10 Black. It too is discontinued and can be found at a reasonable rate. I play the A-10 or Rev Tour primarily depending on what I can find for around $12 a dozen. The Rev Tour is a much better 3 piece ball but is not as easy to find as the A-10. Still waiting for the Black Max to stoop to that level.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
In an effort to duplicate my longest drive ever, which was with a discontinued Nike Super Far, I went ball shopping to the local golf store.

Nike now has 4 Power Distance balls, listed in increasing order of recommended club head speed: Power Lady, Super Soft, Super Flight, Super Distance. All were only about $14/dozen.

I bought the Super Soft, since they have gotten good reviews. I hit it OK, but I never got a really long drive with it, even tough I hit some good ones. I didn't like it for putting, either, as it was hard to get the right speed with it.

This is NOT the same ball as the Super Far, IMHO. I'll have to try one of the others, or buy some used Super Fars on Ebay.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
SiberianDVM,

EXACTLY my view of the Nike distance soft. If felt like a doughball and wouldn't go anywhere.

I haven't found a lower priced Nike ball I like. I haven't tried the ONE either.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
So far the Super Soft is the only Nike ball I have hit and really liked at all. I played a dozen I got in an outing. I would not likely buy it over Maxfli A-10 or Rev Tour, as there is less spin, and did not appear to be any longer, but again, it may be the only low dollar Nike ball I have used that I could see playing with any bit of regularity. Although I would likely even play the old Smart Core Pro Distance at almost 1/2 the cost prior to it. It had alot of the same characteristics, maybe a little longer, a little less spin, but a softer feel in my opinion.

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
Has anyone tried the Precept Laddie Xtreme?

I've heard it's pretty good for a mid/low priced ball...

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
As I continue to lose more balls than I like, I have started trying the less expensive balls also. So far I have tried:

1. Pinnacle Exception - last year's model go for $12.50/dozen at Dicks. Good distance, nice feel, but I still lose them more than I would like.
2. Precept Laddie - I would love to get more of these but I can no longer find them. At $10/dozen (for the ones I have), I love the distance and feel I get with them.
3. Slazenger Raw Distance - I just got two dozen for $20 at Dick's. I have played one round of nine with them. Did not lose one (a plus). I liked the distance I got on them, I was able to chip and putt them well also. I am playing tomorrow so I will take them out for another spin then.

I am going to look at Dick's today. They had a few more balls at $20/two dozen (Maxfli A10 I believe was one of them).

Evesdad

Jun 18, 2006
Damn It

I just bought a dozen nike distance super soft in a sale for £9.99 about $7 now you tell me they are pants. Damn you warbirdlover.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Evesdad said:
I just bought a dozen nike distance super soft in a sale for £9.99 about $7 now you tell me they are pants. Damn you warbirdlover.

Hey, for $7 how bad can they be?

I managed to put 2 of them in the woods today, so only 9 more to lose. :D

I just bought a dozen new old stock Nike Super Far on Ebay for $10. When they get here I will find out if that one super drive I hit was a fluke. I know what Rock would say. :biglol:

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Now that I am really into ball ho'in; I've taken to buying experimental balls by the sleeve instead of the box. Today I bought a sleeve each of Callaway HX Hot and Nike Ignite.

I think the HX Hot is a winner. Straight, high and long. I hit a 260 yard drive this evening, after I put my first one in the woods. :D

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
When I'm afraid to hit a HX Tour (losing it) the HX Hot is my "economy" ball of choice. It is LONG.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I played a round yesterday with a Pinnacle Gold Velocity. I was very suprised how well the ball performed. It was long as hell and actually stuck greens very well, I even spun one back on a full wedge. It looks identical to the ProV1x, logos facing down, they are impossable to tell apart. In play I didnt see a hell of a lot of differance either.

Novice Mike

Jun 21, 2006
I havent been playing that long, but i've been using Callaway WarBirds more than anything, also Noodles (long 'n' soft).

mike.

Sportsman5

Aug 17, 2006
Does what ball you play off the tee really make that much of a difference? I mean the main thing you want to do is hit the ball staight, right? Does it really make a huge difference whether the ball goes 200 yards or 204 yards, as long as it's staight?

I realize around the green is a different story because of the spin factor.

🔥 Latest posts