• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Low Price Golf ball review

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Sportsman5 said:
Does what ball you play off the tee really make that much of a difference? I mean the main thing you want to do is hit the ball staight, right? Does it really make a huge difference whether the ball goes 200 yards or 204 yards, as long as it's staight?

I realize around the green is a different story because of the spin factor.

200 vs. 204, no.
240 vs. 260, yes, especially on a par 5.

Sportsman5

Aug 17, 2006
So say i'm playing a cheap top flite and hitting my driver a solid 250. If I spend some money and start playing pro v1x then I could probably increase my drives 15-20 yards?

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Sportsman5 said:
So say i'm playing a cheap top flite and hitting my driver a solid 250. If I spend some money and start playing pro v1x then I could probably increase my drives 15-20 yards?

Thats maybe a little ambitious. I'd say 15 yards would be the maximum unless you increase your swing speed.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
If you only hit a driver 250 yards and play a Pro V1x, you may likely not only throw away money but distance. Unless you increase your swing speed around 20 mph.

Although I would believe you may be able to gain 20 yards by switch from Top Flites just in confidence alone. :)

Sorry I have never liked Top Flites, and throw them further into the woods when I find them. There is a reason I find so many in the woods.

FYI, back on topic, they had Maxfli Rev EXT's at Golf Galaxy for $14.99, not a bad price for a 3 piece ball. I will see next week how they compare to the Rev Tours that they had at Sports Authority a few months ago for $12.99

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
In the last couple of weeks I have tried the following balls:

Slazenger Raw Distance
Slazenger Money
Maxfli A10 Titanium
Precept PowerDrive
Nike Distance SFT

I have found that I hit the Slazengers really well (both the RD and the Mpney balls). I didn't like the Maxfli, and I lost the Precepts before I had a chance to really play with them (next time out). The Nike was used for the best round of 9 I have shot yet (39).

For $10/dozen, I'm may stick with the Slazengers for a while...

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Sportsman5 said:
I didn't realize the ball could add on 20 yards.

Unfortunately, most of us will never know for sure. Most recreational golfers probably can have that much variance (or more) from shot to shot with the same ball. The pros (and probably a few members of this forum) are consistent enough shotmakers to reliably evaluate the difference in balls. However, I don't (and probably never will) shoot with enough consistency to make such an evaluation.

Since I live on a course, I am lucky enough to be in a position to try almost any ball on the market. Once a week, I walk the woods near on 4-5 holes near my house and usually find 80-100 balls each time I go out. I have buckets of balls in my garage that run the gamut from cheap Walmart specials to Pro-V1s. In all honesty, I cannot say, for a fact, that one is better than the other. I recognize that the laws of physics would dictate that some must be different than the others; but my swing speed and accuracy simply doesn't allow me to scientifically determine that "one" magic bullet. The single longest drive I can recall having was with a Precept Lady; but that certainly doesn't mean that the Ladies are the longest ball in my buckets.

I have a neighbor that always shoots in the 70's and just crushes his drives. I once asked him what ball he shoots and his reply was, "Whatever I find the most of". :)

Sportsman5

Aug 17, 2006
FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
If you only hit a driver 250 yards and play a Pro V1x, you may likely not only throw away money but distance. Unless you increase your swing speed around 20 mph.

What other balls do you have to be able to swing over 100 mph to hit effectively?

And what balls would increase my distance from 240 to 260 or 250 to 270?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Sportsman5 said:
What other balls do you have to be able to swing over 100 mph to hit effectively?

And what balls would increase my distance from 240 to 260 or 250 to 270?
Not sure of the others, but the Pro V1x is for more of a Tour calibur swing, Where as the Pro V1 would likely work for you, It could possibly even add close to 20 yards compared to a Top Flite, although there are alot of cheaper balls on the market that may be comparable distance wise to a Pro V1. Expecting to gain 20 yards on a better ball is probably not as likely as gaining 20 yards on a ball that suits your swing characteristis and speed over one that is designed to compress at a lower or higher speed or has to much or too little spin for your swing characteristics.

I am guessing if you hit the ball 250 yards, your speed is probably around 100 mph, as on the average each mph translates to about 2.5 yards. Hence the comment about increasing your speed 20mph. I think hitting a Pro V1x with a 100 mph speed is not going to compress the ball enough, and may even likely cost you yards.

If I played a Pro V1x, I would likely have the same impression of them as I do Top Flites. That being Rock hard and don't suit my swing. Although I do love the Pro V1, the idea of putting a $3 ball into the woods on a normal basis is of no interest to me. If I played in my old area, or even a different home course, I would likely play them.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Go to the driving range and hit some of their mush balls and get the average yardage with your driver or any club. I'm betting they make them so they don't go far to be easier to pick up. Now play a good ball on the course and see how far they go. (Hole length - distance left to pin = pretty accurate drive length). If you go to a driving range and it looks like your 5 iron goes 160 try using that on the course when you're 160 away. Bet you go over. I've dinked around on driving ranges and course for 40 years and I truly believe this. It's not one expensive ball over a regular priced ball we're talking about. We're talking about crappy "RANGE" balls compared to good balls. And one more comment. A good pro (or amateur) will hit those range balls almost as far as a good ball. The average golfer can't. (And I hit a HX Tour or Pro V1 farther then "most" of the cheaper balls with my 100 mph swing).

Bottom line... certain balls work better with certain swings and you just have to find the best for you.

aceillini

Long live "THE CHIEF"
Aug 23, 2006
i used to use the warbirds and noodles then a freind gave me some titlelist NXT's they are very good and softer feeling than the others

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Lot's of people like the NXT's. My Ping pro told me they were longer then the Pro V1 (he plays). I tried them and they just weren't the right ball for me and also didn't go as far for me as the Pro V1. The HX Hot is the longest ball I've found and I've tried them all (almost). See my survey on cheap balls somewhere in here. I hit the HX Tour the best of any (all clubs). The Long and Soft Noodles are really good balls. The new Longest Noodles are not. I put a new "Longest Noodle" on the tee. Hit a decent straight drive 260. Hit a nice 3-wood 220. Wedge on the green and two putted on a par 5. The whole side of the ball cover was "smeared" with a big gouge in the middle. I didn't hit a bad shot!! That ball lasted ONE HOLE!! Not a good ball.

🔥 Latest posts