• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

lowest 9 hole score to date.

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
United States United States
I went out after picking up the wife today for 9 holes.
+2, +1,+1,+1,-1,+0,+0,+1,+2 = 7 over if my math is right.
Those doubles are killing me, but I was teeing off with a 2 hybrid on the long holes. Left the driver and 3 wood at home today just to see what would happen.
Its got to be saying something that I can score better with a 2H off the tee than with a driver or even a 3 wood. Definitely seem to be more in control with hybrid.

Also gave up the mechanics thinking and just used a really basic no brainer swing.
Im definitely still thinking way too much and talking myself right out of good shots....or right into trouble.

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
that is good scoring! my best on 9 was 39 in Dec 2012 with my brother. was shocked after we added the scores at the end of the round. pitty the front 9 was not as good. played a 43 there.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
My opinion. The vast majority of amateurs would score better if they didn't carry a driver.

The only time i hit driver(for the most part) are par 5s or fairly open long par 4s. Give me my 4i anywhere else.

Nice score though!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
During the off season, I used to always try to play a couple of 2 or 3 club rounds. Go out with a 5-iron, PW, and putter only. I bet you would be amazed how well you could score.
My best golf buddy plays with 7 to 9 clubs in his bag... every time out. I've never known him to have more than 9 for any of the hundreds of rounds we've played together. He'll shoot mid-80's to low 90's every time.
Sometimes we over analyze our ability with each club and end up doing more damage to the final score than if we had simply relaxed and gone with the first club our hand fell on.

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
My opinion. The vast majority of amateurs would score better if they didn't carry a driver.
I seriously have to agree and Ive seen well written articles that say exactly that. I just wish I could get guys I play with to leave me the hell alone about it.

Last year I bought a set of Eye2 clones used and was teeing off with the 3 iron from the set and was parring a good number of 4's and 5's.
Then I get a driver and suddenly Im in trouble so much a that the pars and even bogies got fewer and hellishly further between.

Seems to me that its better to be short and in the short grass than long off the tee and struggling on most of ones second shots.

The other thing is my 2 hybrid isnt quite capable of crossing over the next fairway the way I can with a driver, so even when I find trouble with the 2H its far less of a problem than even with the 3 wood (which is out of the bag too now).

Some days I can kill the ball with the driver every time. But those are maybe 1 round in 4 or 5. Just playing the percentages it would say get rid of the driver.

Actually there is some advice in the Nicklaus book I recently got where he says to start dropping clubs until you get to the one you know you can trust most. Take the ones you cant out of the bag. Best advice Ive read, I think.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I like the idea of starting out golf with a 7i, pw, and putter.

Once your comfortable playing that, add a 5i, then a 3i, then fill in the gaps slowly with what you feel you need. The driver should be the last club added, and honestly should be after your around pretty steadily in the 80s.

I wish i would have started like this. I would probably be far better than i am now.

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Eclark, there is a guy I used to work with who I guess used to play his whole round of golf with his 7 iron and a putter. I only saw him playing one time but he could crush a ball with that 7.

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Didnt score as well today, but was more consistent.
Got one par, one double bogey and 16 bogeys.
Guess thats better than a bunch of triples.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.