• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

LPGA Commish: British Win Equals Grand Slam for Park

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
I WROTE MORE THAN THREE WEEKS AGO that "FOUR Is Right Number for Grand Slam." I was referring, of course, to Inbee Park, who has won the first three majors championships on the LPGA circuit this calendar season. Park goes for her fourth, the Ricoh Women's British Open, this week at St. Andrews.

Interviewed on Golf Channel's Morning Drive last Thursday, LPGA Tour Commissioner Mike Whan is apparently in agreement.

"I'll call her a 'Grand Slam' winner if she wins four," Whan told Gary Williams.

Good call. And smart.

That's Whan, a savvy spokesperson and marketer who is no doubt extremely pleased that women's golf is getting much more attention inside and outside the sport because of Park's historic season. You could even say that labeling the Evian Masters as a fifth major has stirred up extra media attention because of the controversy surrounding what constitutes a grand slam.

I would guess that Whan is not at all displeased about it. It's been a media and grand slam boon.

And if Park or someone else happens to win all five LPGA majors in one season, what shall we call that new thing?

"I think we've created the 'Super Slam' for five," Whan said.

A super slam, right. If Denny's Restaurants can have multiple slams, why not the LPGA?

(Visor tip: Geoff Shackelford)
afeeds_feedburner_com__ff_ArmchairGolfBlog_90875f527880786621fd034e7fa2f873._.gif

Source: LPGA Commish: British Win Equals Grand Slam for Park

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
Here's how many people give a shit.

ataller3dedos.wiki_site.com_images_b_b3_Xhina10.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Members online