• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

LPGA gets rid of commish

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
So I jus watched some interviews and such on the golf channel. I agree that the LPGA is hurting and probably needs a change. What got me is when they interviewed the Chairman lady. They asked her something to the effect of "if Americans like Pressel, Wei, Creamer, Gulbis were winning the bulk of the tourneys would it make a difference?" She said no and went out to tout how diverse the tour is. I'm sorry but that's complete and total BS. I watched the 3rd round of the US Women's Open this week... first round of LPGA golf I've watched all year. Know why???? Yep.. Creamer and Kerr got lots of tv time. I have NO interest in watching 20 year old Korean girls that can't speak a lick of english play golf... regardless of how good they are. None, zero, zip, zilch, nada, nein! I just have no way of relating to them.. at all!

The LPGA's problem is lack of fans. Fill the stands, galeries, and get people in front of the TV, and the money will come. The ONLY way that's going to happen is if these young american girls start winning. OR... these international players start speaking english and figuring out a way to relate to fans. I know Bivens got ALL kinds of grief for the english speaking policy. I personally was in favor of that. Yes it's golf, but it's also entertainment, selling a product. If I'm selling a product, I need someone who can communicate with those buying. It's all about the fans... or should be!

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
The LPGA's first problem is with the coverage period. They have the same issues that the NHL and IRL racing have. You can't be on tape delayed at 6 on sunday afternoon or something like that. At that point I already know who won and don't care to watch it. I watched all four rounds this weekend and didn't watch one shot of the PGA John Deere. I like watching the womens game and don't really care who is in contention for the win. It will definately help if the American contigent would win some tournaments but I don't mind the diveristy they have. The last few years have been dominated by Lorena and her english sucks too. They just need to get someone in that can work with businesses and it is pretty obvious that the chick they had couldn't get it done.

Jason

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I actually think Lorena's english is quite good. She has an accent and you can definitely tell it's not her first language, but I've never had a problem understanding her.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
It never bothered me even I never really got the good vibe from Lorena or watching her play. I thought the english thing was kinda silly. How many people watch the interviews afterwards?? I understand that most people will tend to pull for an american and my not watch if they are not in contention but I enjoy the womens game because the shots relate more to my game. They tend to have shots into greens that I will have on the course. Not like watching the men on sundays hit driver....lob wedge on a 500 yard par 4.

Jason

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
they need a commisioner with some "weight", someone who has connections,knows the right people.

i'm not even sure that it's a woman's job.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I nominate Claire for commish of the LPGA. Speaking of Claire, where is she? I haven't seen a post by her in a while now.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
Bivens believed that the LPGA should be a world tour. This year 12 of 29 tournaments were held outside the US. I've also heard her brag about the tour's diversity. What she didn't seem to understand is that American sponsors and media don't give a rat's tookis about diversity. They want an American star that will draw an audience.

Part of the language issue is the inability of non english speakers to schmooze with corporate guys during pro ams.

The real problem with the tour is that American golfers are not competitive. American's have won only 4 of the 16 tournaments held this year. The last time I looked there was only one American player in the top 10. Kerr and Pressel both choked in the last tournament.

Unless the new commissioner has the sac to limit foreign player participation the tour will continue to go downhill.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
...I have NO interest in watching 20 year old Korean girls that can't speak a lick of english play golf... regardless of how good they are. None, zero, zip, zilch, nada, nein! I just have no way of relating to them.. at all!

The LPGA's problem is lack of fans. Fill the stands, galeries, and get people in front of the TV, and the money will come. The ONLY way that's going to happen is if these young american girls start winning. OR... these international players start speaking english and figuring out a way to relate to fans. I know Bivens got ALL kinds of grief for the english speaking policy. I personally was in favor of that. Yes it's golf, but it's also entertainment, selling a product. If I'm selling a product, I need someone who can communicate with those buying. It's all about the fans... or should be!

Part of the language issue is the inability of non english speakers to schmooze with corporate guys during pro ams.

The real problem with the tour is that American golfers are not competitive. American's have won only 4 of the 16 tournaments held this year. The last time I looked there was only one American player in the top 10. Kerr and Pressel both choked in the last tournament.

Unless the new commissioner has the sac to limit foreign player participation the tour will continue to go downhill.

Kudos to slickpitt and WMitch6 for having the bravery to bring up the "elephant in the living room". It may not be politically correct to some but it's the truth. Leaderboards full of non-English speaking Koreans will not attract the U.S. fans or sponsors. No, its not a racist comment, it's the truth. I hate using the 'r' word because it usually brings the lunatics out of the woodwork. The elephant in the LPGA's living room has been obvious for sometime now & it's an exceptionally difficult issue for the LPGA to manage.

Again, Kudos to slickpitt and WMitch6.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I hated Bivens from the beginning. One of the first things she did was eliminate the Shoprite LPGA Championchip. My company was a sponsor of that event. The event started at my home course and was later moved to a larger facility when it outgrew the original course. Every year this event got bigger and bigger and had a huge local following. Bivens disregarded the contract made by her predicessor with the Shoprite organisation. She placed Annika's tournament the Ginn Tribute the same week in effect killing the Shoprite LPGA. Within two years the Ginn Tribute folded anyway. Bivens killed a long standing and very successful and growing tournament in favor of a tournament that folded in two years. Bivens created alot of enemies with that boneheaded move.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online