• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

LPGA observations

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I watched a little of the LPGA coverage last night. It was my first time to watch the ladies play and I noticed a few things.

* They hit the ball further than I would have thought. Maybe it's just that it made me feel a little inferior watching 16 old girls hit the ball further than me.

* It looks like nobody shows up to watch them. They would sink a birdie putt or make a great drive and it sounded like there were maybe 10 people cheering for them. I could've been watching a fishing show, it was that quiet. Annika was finished playing so maybe everybody had already left.

* (I'm gonna hear it from Rockford for this one) I just didn't feel like I was watching the best women pros in the world going at it. I don't know if it was the lack of cheering or what but it seemed more like an amateur event. Maybe it's just that the guys are that much better and that's what I always watch.

I'm gonna try to catch some of the coverage this weekend to see if more people show up. If not, it's gotta suck a little to make it to the top of your field and have it seem like nobody cares.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I'll be honest...I'll bet I have seen less than two hours of women's golf on TV in my entire life.

The networks just don't show it.

Annika is facinating to me because she is so precise. I am going to try to watch some of it this weekend.

It is too bad that the attendance is so low. No wonder the purses are tiny...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I think i've said my piece on this in the past.

The fact that the two of you combined have watched less than an afternoon of LPGA in your lifetimes speaks volumes. And, as Bravo pointed out, it's because it's never on TV. And there are no sponsors. And men think women are inferior.

Get some sponsors, get some advertising, give away tickets, you'd have more people coming out to watch.

I like the LPGA. Not only because it's full of lovely ladies (not all of them), but because they are talented with the sticks. They could kick our asses three times from Sunday.

But it will never happen (sponsors). Unfortunate. :(

R35

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
That's because the thing is chock full of lesbians.

Get some hotties on and the thing will take off!

You figure it out, Natalie Gulbis or Laura Davies?

Isn't there a Hooters tour? ;)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I guy I know played in a charity pro-am event last year. He was supposed to be playing with Mike Weir but Weir withdrew at the last minute. He got to play with Gulbis instead... lucky bastard.

longiron

May 2, 2005
Ok i have to ask. Does Laura Davies have to go through doors sideways? She has the widest shoulders i have ever seen. And as far as people being there i watched today and Wei seemed to have alot with her.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i have to agree with rock.they just dont promote the womens tour like they do the mens.
there are a few hotties out there.ive watched about 5 hrs. so far this week.

i think another problem with the lpga is there seems to be alot of asians and forigeners and not many players from the US.i think this is part of the reason atleast over here that you dont see it as much on tv.

also i was told to watch the womens tour yrs ago by a club pro.because our game will more resemble theres.because there aren`t many of us who are going to hit it 340 down the center.although the women are starting to also hit bombs out there..

also i dont mind watching the hotties bend over to pick up there balls.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
goatster said:
i think another problem with the lpga is there seems to be alot of asians and forigeners and not many players from the US.i think this is part of the reason atleast over here that you dont see it as much on tv.

What's wrong with asians and foreigners? (me being an asian ;) ).
Besides, the americans only have to step up. Koreans girls practice like crazy. No wonder there are so many of them.
And we'd see more fijians on the Tour also :)

BTW, I've been watching LPGA since I've got the golf channel (that's around 5 years or so). My favorite event is the Evian at Lac Leman. Just splendid.
Favorite cutie (although married): Leta Lindley

KB1982

Jun 10, 2005
I just finished watching the 3rd round that I Tivo'd from earlier and I have to say that sometimes I enjoy watching the LPGA more then I watch the PGA. It's amazing the kind of torque and distance these ladies get from their small frames. I'm sure the average LPGA golfer is what.. 5'5", 5'6"? Just watching Creamer dip down on her driver, Gulbis do the same, and the amount of follow through Wie gets is amazing. I think it was the 13th or 14th hole today when Wie teed off with a driver, the amount of rotation that she got with her shoulders after her follow through made her look like she was made out of elastic.

And I'll agree with the poster above, as bad as it sounds, the LPGA seems to be more within our realm of ability. While I'm sure that some of you can bomb it out there and hit with the precision of the tour, the ladies on the LPGA seem to hit about the same distances and with similiar result as I do personally. Towards the end of the telecast on NBC today, Miller was commenting on how very few LPGA golfers can hit it with a high fade. And if you notice on the PGA tour with most of their shorter layups you'll see a lot of backspin action. Hell if one day I can hit the sticks as good as Wie or Annika I'll die a happy man.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Watching them swing well within themselves and still hit the ball 270 is a great thing to watch,many egotistical men shold take note................if we swung like Annika,ie well within our physical capabilities and focused on rythym and timing we would hit the ball 280 everytime

But we don't we are men,we are predestined to rip the shit out of every drive and screw our rounds up.The End.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
No channels seems to show the Women's US Open final round today :(
Only the guys.

BTW...
PGA Tour: These guys are good
LPGA Tour: These girls rock

I suspect foul play here. :eek:

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Wie is +8 for today, +9 for the tourney.

T17th.....better luck next time kid. ;)

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
sorry loop i think i sorta of misstated myself or it was misread.i have nothin against asian or foriegners.but was simply stating that there arent many us players taht they can promote therefore it dosent get the exposer it should over here.

if we had some players from the us that could hang with the asians.then it might get a little more attention over here.

also unfortunately there are so many kims on the tour that the poor girl that won the open today changed her name so she would stand out alittle more.

congrats to her and the amazing shot she hit to win it.

🔥 Latest posts