• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

LPGA to require players to speak English...

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
I disagree, without getting off-topic...

Why did most people hate the Patriots throughout the season if they were the ones who always won?

First, just because there's a counter-example doesn't mean the phenomenon doesn't exist. Second, there are other factors involved with the Patriots, specifically, the fact that they've repeatedly been caught cheating and the League has gone out of their way to destroy the evidence while barely slapping them on the wrist.

And you think that nearly any member on the PGA wasn't born and bred to golf?

That has nothing to do with your average golf fan being able to identify with Woods; it just means, that say, Sean O'hair can identify with him ( to some degree, anyway ). I'd be interested to see an "average age started golfing" stat on current Tour members, but I'm willing to bet it's higher than 18 months ( or whatever it was for Woods ).

Anyway, I somewhat agree, since the LPGA is a strongly US Institution.

It's pretty straight-forward. Part of the 'job' of being a golfer is marketing, both yourself and your Tour. In order to do that, you really need to speak English. I would not have been hired for my job if I couldn't speak English, because it's part of the job. We've had applicants that we passed on because they couldn't speak English well enough to communicate. We have an overseas office where the local langauge is required. Same deal.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I agree the LPGA has the right to do anything they want, but that would be like prohibiting asians to play or denying participation o any golfer shorter than 5'9, or something like that.

I don't want to get involved in an issue, but some people from English speaking countries (I said SOME, no everyone) tend to think its an obligation to learn English. As an English as a foreign language speaker, I know it has helped me a lot (got me to UNI, got me to med school), but still I think not everyone has such opportunity, and you might have a lot of talent for golf, but not many for speaking languages.

At the end, I watch golf to see golf, not to hear them speaking. I prefer a beautiful 25yd putt rather than a perfect British accent on n interview.

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
I agree the LPGA has the right to do anything they want, but that would be like prohibiting asians to play or denying participation o any golfer shorter than 5'9, or something like that.
I think it boils down to the LPGA wants to see American golfers win more, so they are doing what they can to throw a roadblock in the way of certain international golfers (namely, the Koreans).
Id love to see the American ladies (especially Paula and Natalie) winning more, but I still dont think its right to turn away anyone who has the talent to play on tour just because they dont speak a certain language.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
The LPGA is a private organization that has the right to run itself any way it sees fit.

The English language requirement is probably good business but not necessarily good for golf.

Consider the winner now of an LPGA championship as opposed to the winner of the US women’s open. One is the best English speaking golfer and the other is the best golfer period.

Language and communication mean every thing to business but mean nothing to golf itself.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I think people are really trying to look for discrimination.

Playing on the LPGA tour is a JOB. Take it in the regards to an employer. If you work for an American company, who deals with China as a means of buisness, it's expected on the premise that you KNOW HOW TO SPEAK CHINESE.

Correct? Do people have the right to NOT take the job, or learn Chinese and apply?

You don't simply toss out a law suit and scream prejudice because you don't qualify for the position.

It's not about wanting Americans to win, or people to learn to speak English because it's expected. It's not discrimination by any means. If they don't want to learn it, go play elsewhere. It's and easy decision. If you don't have the skills to complete the job, that is asked of you, or required.. you don't need to be doing that job.

Try and apply that to other things, rather than just thinking the LPGA is trying to nix all the non-american players. It's their job, and they work for an American 'company' with 'american customers'..

Imagine your footing the bill for some foreign golfer. Your company is spending tons of money on them. You do ads, commercials, VIP booths, tickets.. the whole nine.

Your tour player never gets interviewed, never gets to do meet and greets, and never gets on tv other than walking around the green and to the tee box..

It's simply not good buisness to essentially sponser a mute. Who wants to watch someone just smile and nod when asked a simple question?

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
I think it boils down to the LPGA wants to see American golfers win more, so they are doing what they can to throw a roadblock in the way of certain international golfers (namely, the Koreans).
Id love to see the American ladies (especially Paula and Natalie) winning more, but I still dont think its right to turn away anyone who has the talent to play on tour just because they dont speak a certain language.

Actually, I think it's an alternative to blocking them. If the Korean ladies keep winning and the viewers don't ever get to "know" them, the LPGA will lose it's appeal to Western fans. The LPGA must do something to market the Korean players to the North American fan base. And that means making them more endearing and easier to relate to.

Without Googling, who won the women's majors in 2008? Now, who won them in 2007? I know, without even thinking, I can get 3 out of 4 for 2007, but only 1 for 2008 (I actually do know 1 more, but only because I looked it up earlier today). And I'm an avid viewer - someone who watches the LPGA on my DVR before the PGA.

But that doesn't mean that I don't have issues with the policy - I do. Big ones. But Bivens' job is to protect the health of the LPGA. And from that standpoint, I can understand what she is doing.

From the foreign players' view, I think they are probably a little annoyed and worried - but I also think they know where their paycheck is coming from. And I think that is why they aren't complaining. They know, from a business perspective, that it benefits them as much as the LPGA.

I, for one, want to get to know the Korean and Japanese players better. From everything I have seen, they are (on the whole) more kind, polite, caring, and appreciative than many of their Western counterparts. (Can you think of any American players who donated their entire winnings check to the relief effort for a city they had never visited, didn't know anyone, and wasn't even in their own home country?) I think they recognize the opportunity that the LPGA has given them - one they (i.e., women) would not have in their home countries.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
It's simply not good buisness to essentially sponser a mute. Who wants to watch someone just smile and nod when asked a simple question?

I'd look at Natalie Gulbis for hours without expecting her to even nod for a question...

The LPGA is having problems with sponsorship spectators, etc, and now they might take out some of the best female golfers. That's going to work SO GOOD...

Its curious when you think the best golfers in LPGA history are Mexican and Swedish I think...

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
I'd look at Natalie Gulbis for hours without expecting her to even nod for a question...

Now, be honest xamilo. Natalie could be giving a lecture on Einstein's theory of relativity while juggling flaming golf balls using only her earlobes and, as long as the camera angle showed her from head to toe, you wouldn't even notice she was talking. . . :D

The LPGA is having problems with sponsorship spectators, etc, and now they might take out some of the best female golfers. That's going to work SO GOOD...

First, the reason the LPGA is having some (but not all) of the problems is because of leaderboards filled with names of players the viewers either don't know, or can't identify with.

Second, they won't "take out" anyone. The policy is flexible enough to work with any player. I think JJ is correct when she says that the players can speak English, they are just afraid to do so on national TV (I would be too! And I speak English as my first language!) or to strangers in a pro-am. This should be just a nudge to get them going.

Its curious when you think the best golfers in LPGA history are Mexican and Swedish I think...

I wouldn't put Lorena Ochoa in the category of "best golfers in LPGA history" just yet. She's had a couple of very good years, but nothing like Annika, Babe Zaharias, Kathy Whitworth, Mickey Wright, Nancy Lopez, Betsy King, Patty Berg, JoAnn Carner, etc.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Now, be honest xamilo. Natalie could be giving a lecture on Einstein's theory of relativity while juggling flaming golf balls using only her earlobes and, as long as the camera angle showed her from head to toe, you wouldn't even notice she was talking. . . :D

Hey! I like Quantum Physics!:laugh:

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
a lot of the posts here seem to be focused on players needing to do interviews in English to help market the LPGA to the American television audience to further the game and the LPGA. Step back for a second.... who cares about the American television audience? The golf market here is saturated. The industry is seeing the # of rounds drop at courses all over the US (especially the further you get from metro areas).

If you're looking at it from a $ perspective (I'm an accountant) there's much more potential to grow the game and the LPGA outside of the US. If a Japanese player does an interview in Japanese - I'm sure someone in Japan will buy something (not sure what, but that's not important) and maybe a young Japanese girl watching will take an interest and pick up a club for the first time. If you get her hooked, she'll be buying new clubs, bags, matching shoes, etc in a few years. There's plenty of money for golf overseas.

In the US, many of our courses are being foreclosed on right now. In other parts of the world, it's just taking off. If you look at the current LPGA schedule, they already play tournaments in Mexico, Canada, France, China, Korea, Singapore, South Africa, and the UK. - Looking at the list, I think they'd get around just fine without speaking English in some of those places.

Another thing about capitalism here in the US - if a Korean player goes out and wins tournaments she can use her winnings to hire an interpretor - it's good for the economy, and, she might as well spend her dollars here because they aren't worth much anywhere else in the world anymore. We don't have issues with Tiger hiring a pilot or a captain for his boat, why should we care if an asian player can't speak english.

This country wasn't great because we forced people to play by our rules - it was great because people were hard working and innovative. If the LPGA makes it too much of a hassle for the great players to play, they'll go somewhere else. In a few years, when you see Tiger sized purses at ladies golf events throughout Asia that the LPGA has no affiliation with, don't be surprised if you see some of the great American players over there, with interpretors, following the money.

OP
T

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Last time I checked, English wasnt the, "official" language of the United States of America. In some ways, this new rule is discriminatory towards the international players.
Does this also mean that in LPGA events that are in other countries, that the American players are expected to learn the native language of that country? If not, I think its pretty unfair to expect the international players to learn how to speak English.

COSIGN 100%

I doubt they will require US born players to speak anything but English... jerks

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
ok my first post was directed more towards what this looks like legally. Obviously they are a private organization that can do whatever they want. As far is the guys that say this will send the best players elsewhere. Not gonna happen...some of the best young players.....yani tseng, in-bee park have been in the US playing as amateurs for years. You would think they would have picked up enough english to survive. I still am not exactly sure what the LPGA is getting at. I don't remember the last time I saw an interview where the lady could not at all speak some english. Most of the good Korean or any other player for that matter have been in the US long enough they can do an interview after winning. I can understand what some guys said about the pro-ams and marketing stuff. But for gods sake even if I played in one...what do I have in common with an 18 year old girl from Korea that can outdrive me by 20 yards?? She wouldn't have to talk.

Jason

🔥 Latest posts

Members online