• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

LPGA to require players to speak English...

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Whats with all the bleeding hearts on here. They have the right to exclude anyone they want. Its their dime.
That's one side of the argument, and I happen to agree with you. But that doesn't mean everyone who disagrees with us on this point is a "bleeding heart," whatever that means.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Whats with all the bleeding hearts on here. They have the right to exclude anyone they want. Its their dime.

Isn't that a phenomenal 1st post!!

Welcome to Shot Talk!

I'm guessing you're not a liberal. :laugh:

That's one side of the argument, and I happen to agree with you. But that doesn't mean everyone who disagrees with us on this point is a "bleeding heart," whatever that means.

+1, E-man!

slank & slope

Aug 29, 2008

Your right, but it sure as hell doesn't mean they're right!

BTW, "bleeding heart" is slang for an uber liberal

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've got a little motivation from this. Since my good friend and golf partner is of Korean descent, I've decided to attempt to learn some basic spoken Korean. So far I know how to say the equivilent of "hello, how are you?".

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I've got a little motivation from this. Since my good friend and golf partner is of Korean descent, I've decided to attempt to learn some basic spoken Korean. So far I know how to say the equivilent of "hello, how are you?".

Ah, that reminds me, something I think is more than fair to note...

Citizens of the U.S. really need to try to be bilangual, as it is more sensible and respectful to our neighboring countries. Especially if we see rules like this and support them.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007

Citizens of the U.S. really need to try to be bilangual, as it is more sensible and respectful to our neighboring countries. Especially if we see rules like this and support them.

That's a very considerate post. As well, knowing a second language does open a lot of doors, at work and culturally. Its amazing how another language can help you see thing from the eyes of someone else...

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
That's a very considerate post. As well, knowing a second language does open a lot of doors, at work and culturally. Its amazing how another language can help you see thing from the eyes of someone else...

Without a doubt. I'm not "fluent" persay, but pretty decent with Spanish and French, which helps soooooo much.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008

I speak Canadian just fine.

As an aside, what exactly is "bilangual"? I'm not just being a spelling-flame jerk, though, I have a point. Most citizens ( and, ahem, other residents ) of the US need to work on their English. Once that is accomplished, then yes, learning other languages is great. I don't think "respect for our neighbors" is much of a reason, though. If you came home, and found someone had broken into your house, and was eating the food in your kitchen, would you worry about speaking their language out of respect?

I work in an office of a couple dozen people, where there are, at last count, eight native languages spoken. Should we all learn them all, or should we agree on a common language, and use that?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I speak Canadian just fine.

As an aside, what exactly is "bilangual"? I'm not just being a spelling-flame jerk, though, I have a point. Most citizens ( and, ahem, other residents ) of the US need to work on their English. Once that is accomplished, then yes, learning other languages is great. I don't think "respect for our neighbors" is much of a reason, though. If you came home, and found someone had broken into your house, and was eating the food in your kitchen, would you worry about speaking their language out of respect?

I work in an office of a couple dozen people, where there are, at last count, eight native languages spoken. Should we all learn them all, or should we agree on a common language, and use that?

Let me rephrase David...more clearly; Were I to grow up in a world where there is undeniably a world market, and knowing that we are only 3% of the population, I would like to think that out of respect of other countries I would at least show an attempt to learn their language.

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Let me rephrase David...more clearly; Were I to grow up in a world where there is undeniably a world market, and knowing that we are only 3% of the population, I would like to think that out of respect of other countries I would at least show an attempt to learn their language.

Exactly. We've gotten so used to being isolated. Most Euros speak 2 or more languages.

There's nothing wrong with a "common language" (and in the U.S. that would obviously be English), but there is a problem with refusing to even attempt to communicate with the rest of the world.

I don't understand why they don't start kids in 1st grade with languages. Their minds are like sponges at that age when it comes to things like learning languages.

And don't get me started on our ridiculous refusal to adopt the metric system.

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Strangely, I agree with the rule for the near term. If the LPGA is going to make it, it will need players who can communicate to the American public. Players who can communicate with each other. As an organization, the LPGA has an obligation to build support and a following, not necessarily be a playgroung for foreign golf machines who are trained from birth to swing a club. Once the LPGA can build its brand, its pool of sponsorship, fan base and stars to showcase, it can then go back to pure competition. In the mean time there are a number of Pacific Rim tours that the Asian players can compete on. It may sound bias, but from a business perspective I can see the LPGA's point.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Exactly. We've gotten so used to being isolated. Most Euros speak 2 or more languages.

There's nothing wrong with a "common language" (and in the U.S. that would obviously be English), but there is a problem with refusing to even attempt to communicate with the rest of the world.

I don't understand why they don't start kids in 1st grade with languages. Their minds are like sponges at that age when it comes to things like learning languages.

And don't get me started on our ridiculous refusal to adopt the metric system.
Especially since we could go up to a pump and see $1.05/l instead of $4.00/gal. That would make many Americans very happy.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Most Europeans don't have to travel too far to cross a border and run into a different language. We're just too darn big. The schools here start Spanish in kindergarten, but I'm not impressed by the absorbtion rate among the kids (other than those growing up in Spanish speaking households).

From the LPGA's perspective, it's all about money. Which really means it's all about the pro-ams and keeping the sponsors happy. I really would have preferred a more targeted approach: you need to be able to entertain the big money, and here's what you need to do: not just talking to them, but interacting, not treating it like a practice round, etc. etc. That covers a lot more than just speaking English.

And I could go on, but I won't. You're welcome.:)

Members online