• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mac O Grady - Oh Dear

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
These arguements are just bloody pointless.Everyone knows Hogan would whup Tigers ass

OP
charnockpro

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
I agree the arguments are really a non argument as there is no way of comparing people from different era's

It is like comparing Mansell to Hamilton, Navratilova to Sharapova, Beckham to Charlton.

In every sport there has been advances in both equipment and technique and physical fitness and mental strength, this doesnt diminish either the acheivements of past or present players, they are just using what advances are available to them at the particular era.

Mr O'Grady/McGleno has sparked discussion like he knew he would, as far as the grooves quote goes, i am sure the ruling bodies will determine the fairness of such claims and deal with it just like they did with the C.O.R rulings.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I agree the arguments are really a non argument as there is no way of comparing people from different era's

It is like comparing Mansell to Hamilton, Navratilova to Sharapova, Beckham to Charlton.

In every sport there has been advances in both equipment and technique and physical fitness and mental strength, this doesnt diminish either the acheivements of past or present players, they are just using what advances are available to them at the particular era.

Mr O'Grady/McGleno has sparked discussion like he knew he would, as far as the grooves quote goes, i am sure the ruling bodies will determine the fairness of such claims and deal with it just like they did with the C.O.R rulings.

Well said .

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Paul???????

021785_24.jpg

"You call that a driver? This is a driver..."

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
I have always thought that it was two things

that did the most to make Tiger as great as he has become. First is his great skill and disire to win. Second, the media and its response to having such a talented golfer in this age. Tigermania is too much of a cult-type thing that borders on worship rather than normal admiration.

Of course, this is opinion on my part, and being an older geyser I am going to most likely be biased in favor of the older golfing greats like Hogan through Nicklaus. I probably did not show enough respect for Jones and Sarazen as I should have when I was younger, but I do now. Sarazen's double eagle has to be the greatest shot ever in competition, and I bet his next nine greatest shots would make a great video like the one made on Tiger's greatest shots.

O Grady is probably feeling some of the same vibrations that I get from Tigermania. I have nothing against reporting the great shots Tiger pulls off and the many tournaments he wins just so long as the reporting includes the great things others are doing and do not minimize the great things others have done in the past. The talk invariably gets to Tiger going back in a Time Machine and whipping Jones, Hogan, Snead, Byron, Arnie, Jack and others when those greats were in their prime. And Tiger would be able to do so using the older equipment. I agree with O Grady that that just would not happen. Tiger can dominate today with this equipment, but there is reason to believe that such domination would be pretty difficult when confronting the greatest players of previous ages, though I am also confident that he would win his share. Hogan would win his share, Jack his share, and so on, and there would be no one dominating all the rest.

Tiger's equipment today is light years ahead of the equipment Arnie and Jack used, and we do not even have to get into the equipment Jones used. If Tiger played with the old equipment, all those shots that he hits into the rough would be even farther off line than now. He would be deeper in the rough and have fewer shots at all those greens that hits in regulation from the rough. You have to wonder how someone (and others less accurate than Funk) can hit so many greens in regulation from out of the rough. It is hard to imagine that bomb and gouge could win out over accurate, well-positioned, but shorter drives. That some shorter hitters, even Funk, can win fairly often gives us hope that ball striking will still be with us, especially on courses like Oakmont. (It might be that the grooves of today do make bomb and gouge work.)

Tiger actually plays a game that is somewhat like traditional shot-making styles. He is really into shot shaping. He leaves the driver in the bag often when choosing the club for many tee shots. If he were purely a bomb and gouge player, he would probably be just another Bubba. Tiger is certainly a great putter and has a great short game. So, for all the hype about his power, it is his being a complete golfer that has led to his dominating this age.

Jack, especially early on when he was Big Jack, was actually a power player. With the older equipment he was booming 300 yard drives and hitting a pretty high percentage of fairways as well as greens. Let us get that Time Machine and go back and get Jack in his long ball prime and bring him to this age. Let that Jack use the equipment of today, and I think Tiger and the gang would be in for a shock. While we are at it, lets pick up Hogan and Snead and Byron. Lets get Arnie in his prime. Bring all these into today's field with today's equipment, and I think there would be no domination the likes of which is currently going on. Of course, we will never know until we have such a Time Machine. The best we have today is our imagination and most of our imaginations have some bias in there.

If I were picking an all-star basketball team, the first man I would want on my team would not be Michael Jordan. I would choose Wilt Chamberlain, and then start thinking about number two. Like I said before, I refuse to let the current stars to dominate the old greats who are old or gone. Can you imagine what Ruth could do with a metal bat and a ProV1x?
icon10.gif

Sincerely, Cypressperch

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
I have always thought that it was two things

that did the most to make Tiger as great as he has become. First is his great skill and disire to win. Second, the media and its response to having such a talented golfer in this age. Tigermania is too much of a cult-type thing that borders on worship rather than normal admiration.

Of course, this is opinion on my part, and being an older geyser I am going to most likely be biased in favor of the older golfing greats like Hogan through Nicklaus. I probably did not show enough respect for Jones and Sarazen as I should have when I was younger, but I do now. Sarazen's double eagle has to be the greatest shot ever in competition, and I bet his next nine greatest shots would make a great video like the one made on Tiger's greatest shots.

O Grady is probably feeling some of the same vibrations that I get from Tigermania. I have nothing against reporting the great shots Tiger pulls off and the many tournaments he wins just so long as the reporting includes the great things others are doing and do not minimize the great things others have done in the past. The talk invariably gets to Tiger going back in a Time Machine and whipping Jones, Hogan, Snead, Byron, Arnie, Jack and others when those greats were in their prime. And Tiger would be able to do so using the older equipment. I agree with O Grady that that just would not happen. Tiger can dominate today with this equipment, but there is reason to believe that such domination would be pretty difficult when confronting the greatest players of previous ages, though I am also confident that he would win his share. Hogan would win his share, Jack his share, and so on, and there would be no one dominating all the rest.

Tiger's equipment today is light years ahead of the equipment Arnie and Jack used, and we do not even have to get into the equipment Jones used. If Tiger played with the old equipment, all those shots that he hits into the rough would be even farther off line than now. He would be deeper in the rough and have fewer shots at all those greens that hits in regulation from the rough. You have to wonder how someone (and others less accurate than Funk) can hit so many greens in regulation from out of the rough. It is hard to imagine that bomb and gouge could win out over accurate, well-positioned, but shorter drives. That some shorter hitters, even Funk, can win fairly often gives us hope that ball striking will still be with us, especially on courses like Oakmont. (It might be that the grooves of today do make bomb and gouge work.)

Tiger actually plays a game that is somewhat like traditional shot-making styles. He is really into shot shaping. He leaves the driver in the bag often when choosing the club for many tee shots. If he were purely a bomb and gouge player, he would probably be just another Bubba. Tiger is certainly a great putter and has a great short game. So, for all the hype about his power, it is his being a complete golfer that has led to his dominating this age.

Jack, especially early on when he was Big Jack, was actually a power player. With the older equipment he was booming 300 yard drives and hitting a pretty high percentage of fairways as well as greens. Let us get that Time Machine and go back and get Jack in his long ball prime and bring him to this age. Let that Jack use the equipment of today, and I think Tiger and the gang would be in for a shock. While we are at it, lets pick up Hogan and Snead and Byron. Lets get Arnie in his prime. Bring all these into today's field with today's equipment, and I think there would be no domination the likes of which is currently going on. Of course, we will never know until we have such a Time Machine. The best we have today is our imagination and most of our imaginations have some bias in there.

If I were picking an all-star basketball team, the first man I would want on my team would not be Michael Jordan. I would choose Wilt Chamberlain, and then start thinking about number two. Like I said before, I refuse to let the current stars to dominate the old greats who are old or gone. Can you imagine what Ruth could do with a metal bat and a ProV1x?
icon10.gif

Sincerely, Cypressperch

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
Quick threadjack, What regulations are there on grips? How could you gain an advantage from your grips?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.