• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

MacGregor M675s

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I just keep getting haunted by these babies. I only hit them once back in April, but man they felt and looked so good.

I now have the opportunity of buying a mint 2nd hand set for $500 for 3-pw, plus a 52,56 and 60 degree combo, all with Tour flighted Rifle shafts. That's 11 clubs. I don't really need the 56 and 60, come to think of it I don't really need any more clubs.

Is it worth it? Do I need them? Do I tell the wife? Am I a ho?

At times like this I should turn to role models for answers, but I can't help but think, "What would Homer do?"

What would you do?

Golf Monkey

Jun 9, 2005
IrishGolfer said:
I just keep getting haunted by these babies. I only hit them once back in April, but man they felt and looked so good.

I now have the opportunity of buying a mint 2nd hand set for $500 for 3-pw, plus a 52,56 and 60 degree combo, all with Tour flighted Rifle shafts. That's 11 clubs. I don't really need the 56 and 60, come to think of it I don't really need any more clubs.

At times like this I should turn to role models for answers, but I can't help but think, "What would Homer do?"

What would you do?

Is it worth it? Yes
Do I need them? You can never have too many clubs.
Do I tell the wife? Just tell her you won them!
Am I a ho? Aye

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
all with Tour flighted Rifle shafts

Just found out that these are 6.0, so aside from my moral quandary, how do these shafts perform?

I have a set of 5.5 in Mizunos that I like. Is 6.0 too stiff? I normally hit my 6 iron 165-170. I looked up the Royal Precision web-site and they recommend 5.5. What could I expect if I went for these babies in a 6.0. In other words if I buy them will I end up hitting them sideways, or swinging like a bastard just to compensate.

And no prizes for those who suggest demo'ing. That's not going to be possible as these clubs are currently 3,000+ miles away from me at the moment. I am going to have to take advice and then "wing it".

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The 6.0's that I hit played no different than my S300 DG's. At least to me, they didn't.

Not sure if that helps, but if it gets you to post more pictures of the 675's, then i'll do anything I can to make that happen.

Don't tell the wife.

Just swap them out silently.

Post pics.

Never speak of them again. :p

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
IrishGolfer said:

What would you do?

This is why I'm glad my wife doesn't have any interest in golf. New irons in the bag go unnoticed because she doesn't know the difference between a SW and a driver.

If you can get away with don't tell, but have a gift in mind if you get busted.

And yes, you're a ho. :p

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
IrishGolfer said:
Just found out that these are 6.0, so aside from my moral quandary, how do these shafts perform?

I have a set of 5.5 in Mizunos that I like. Is 6.0 too stiff? I normally hit my 6 iron 165-170. I looked up the Royal Precision web-site and they recommend 5.5. What could I expect if I went for these babies in a 6.0. In other words if I buy them will I end up hitting them sideways, or swinging like a bastard just to compensate.

The 6.0's will be a little bit stiffer and launch a little lower than the 5.5's. May lose a little distance if anything, but should be close you your 5.5's. If you find your 5.5's feeling a bit stiff, the 6.0 will not likely have good feel. If you find your 5.5's a bit whippy, the 6.0 could be the answer you have been looking for.

Hope this helps.

NorCal707

Its a glass didgeridoo.
Apr 14, 2005
I moved from the x-18's to the M675 and I really like the M675 better. I didn't get any added distance, just some more spin and more control. The faces have U-groove scoring lines which look pretty groovy and seems to put more spin on my short irons. A classic look in the 7-PW. Its almost like a morph set of blades. The 3-6 are pretty forgiving, not too much though, with a big muscle back. I guess what makes them better then the x-18's is the diversity of shots i can pull off with them. Low or high, left or right. I forgot quite what you wanted explained about them so if i left anything out you should probably ask or something.

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
I did a review on those babies for another site. They are sweet. The details of the review are somewhat sticky so I'd rather not discuss that online. Did you buy them yet?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
They are sweet. The details of the review are somewhat sticky so I'd rather not discuss that online

How interesting.

You did the review for the sand trap or some one else?
You must show us the way! :)

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Rockford35 said:
The 6.0's that I hit played no different than my S300 DG's. At least to me, they didn't.

R35

I have to agree with rockford. I was playing s300 dg's and they were no different to my current 6.0's. The rifles were heavier, which could make them play a little more stiffer, but that is it, nice solid shaft.

I would go for them, they are a sweet club, and for 11 clubs $500 isn't that much money for irons these days.

And just don't tell the wife full stop she probably wont even realise you got new ones.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Guys, the hunt is still on. I let those ones go. I wasn't comfortable on the shaft issue. Seems that most of these sets are going for $350-$380 for a mint condition set. It's amazing how many sets have been played "for nine holes" or hit "only a few times".

Just a matter of being patient.....

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
Slingblade61 said:
How interesting.

You did the review for the sand trap or some one else?
You must show us the way! :)

Something like that... They are great irons though.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Scored!!

$380 for a 9.5 condition set of 2i-pw!!

I consider myself happy. Now just gotta wait 6 weeks to get 'em. Come to daddy!

"Billy, Billy, Billy.....aaaarrrhhhhhhhhh"

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Rockford35 said:
You mean your Nike Clones weren't cutting it? :biglol:

R35

Ha!
Actually I had swapped these out to my Zunos back in May and been a happy camper. Aside from the fact that I am a Ho, I notice little difference in irons. As long at they have a decent grip and shaft then I'm happy. I can play equally as badly with anything.

Those Clones are sweet, but I've a feeling that they will be making their way over to my Bro-in-Law. He's a Kiwi, so deserves the best. I need to clear some cupboard space in case SWMBO gets suspicious. ;)

🔥 Latest posts