• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Major swing Problems....911

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
An out-to-in swing doesn't produce pushes. If you were coming out to in, or even coming through square, with an open clubface, your ball would start left or straight. It wouldn't ever start to the right.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
you got there before i did Dave!!, i am not getting at our colleague but a bad description of what is going wrong can cause confusion, as i said leading to a mis-diagnosis.

Ball flight is the master as TJ Tomasi says in all of his teachings, the ball doesnt lie as it reacts to the way it is struck, and reading your ball flight tells you many things.

Please get some video up so we can help, the only thing about using a more lofted club is that the problem will be less obvious as there is less movement in the air, but the description you gave of an out to in path must cause a divot pointing left unless the ball is outside your back foot??!! and there is no way this could have caused a push from what you originally described.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
and there is no way this could have caused a push from what you originally described.
Doing the math.

Having a ball with no visible spin, a 75* push, hit on the clubface, with an outside to in swing. This would not only defy logic in golf physics, if it were even physically possible and did not generate spin to 75*, it would mean the clubface would have to be somewhere in the range of 80-90* open to compensate for the outside to in swing. Just to put this into perspective from a logical standpoint, this would be the scientific equivalent of hitting a baseball on the bottom 1/5th (circumference) of a bat and consistently hitting 400 feet home runs. Or hitting a ball with the bat aimed at the 3rd base coach and having it strike the guy in the on deck circle of the first base line, when hit dead solid on the face of the bat.

Glad to hear it is working out, hope it continues to do so.

OP
T

toddy101

May 4, 2008
My feet were kinda off aim. My front foot was back a little bit farther, and off the line of aim. Then, when i swung the club, i went out-in, causing me to swing away from me. I also had my hands infront of the ball, with an out-in swing, i couldnt get the full wrist rotation in, which added to my open club face. (Hands infront of ball with my hands pointing backwards). I also didnt have a wrist break on my back swing, which also made my hands unable, or harder to close.

I simply had to adjust my feet, bring my swing more inside on the back swing, add some wrist break, and follow through high.

I cant really quite explain everything that was going one, but i hope you guys get the point. But, doesnt matter, i now have it fixed and am hitting it great.

NOTE- Anyone who has swing problems, heres a secret to fix ANY problem...Go to the range and HIT, HIT, HIT, until its fixed. Best way to fix it. And dont buy into "quick" fixes, they will end up making it worse, or give you bad habits.

My new Famous quote.."Short cuts make a round longer."
-toddy101

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
My feet were kinda off aim. My front foot was back a little bit farther (meaning as i first thought that your stance had to be open) and off the line of aim. Then, when i swung the club, i went out-in, causing me to swing away from me (if i understand you correctly you are swinging outside the ball to target line to inside the ball to target line which would mean your arms actually coming in closer to your body through impact). I also had my hands infront of the ball, with an out-in swing, i couldnt get the full wrist rotation in, which added to my open club face.Hands infront of ball with my hands pointing backwards (maybe i misunderstand your terminology but having your hands ahead at impact but hands pointing backwards, is that possible?) , I also didnt have a wrist break on my back swing, which also made my hands unable, or harder to close.

I simply had to adjust my feet, bring my swing more inside on the back swing, add some wrist break, and follow through high.

I cant really quite explain everything that was going one, but i hope you guys get the point. But, doesnt matter, i now have it fixed and am hitting it great.

NOTE- Anyone who has swing problems, heres a secret to fix ANY problem...Go to the range and HIT, HIT, HIT, until its fixed. Best way to fix it. And dont buy into "quick" fixes, they will end up making it worse, or give you bad habits.

My new Famous quote.."Short cuts make a round longer."
-toddy101

Stephen Covey talks of quick fix in his 7 Habits books and i agree that to work through problems is the best way and hard work will pay off, all i would say is dont ingrain a bad habit, get some good quality advice from a qualified professional to go in tandem with a good work rate.

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
None of this thread makes sense...an out to in swing with a straight divot that creates a block is impossible. Maybe you are swinging a left handed club the wrong way.

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007

When you say you're swinging out to in...are you talking about the back swing and impact?

I think you're confusing the term "outside to inside" which really implies where you're coming from when you hit the ball, and where the club goes when you finish.

The fact that you're saying you needed to bring the club more inside on the take away is making me believe you are indeed swinging inside to outside causing the push, you just haven't been wording it correctly.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I hate to chime in as "Negative Nancy", but it seems to me that none of the (correct) advice you guys are giving Toddy is making any impression on him. He keeps repeating the same nonsense statements, and doesn't seem to be trying to understand what you guys are telling him.

🔥 Latest posts