• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

making chips/pitches bite

Richards279

May 14, 2008
I played with a guy a month or so ago and he spun back a 30 yard pitch. How can I do that? I put alot of spin on my full wedge shots, but I have trouble with chipping and pitching because of the roll. Do I just swing more down on it to generate more back spin?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
There is actually a little more to it, you actually need to trap or pinch the back of the ball between the club and the ground in order to generate a lot more spin. Although in order to do so, you do need to hit more down on the ball.

OP
R

Richards279

May 14, 2008
I use prov1's and I have Solus wedges. They usually put alot of juice on it. I'll try to work on it. Thanks

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I've spent the last 20 years trying to avoid spin. Its off the back foot, descending blow nipping into the ball with the grooves. I practice like mad to get the ball to release never mind spin, its a pain in the arse.

OP
R

Richards279

May 14, 2008
I just want to have another shot in my bag. Like when you first learned how to hit the flop shot. Don't use it that much, but it's good the have incase you need it.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Just exaggerate, ie you might think you are off the back foot, but move it farther back. You might think you are coming down, but you probably aren't, and keep the hands well in front of the ball. I hit flops from the back, just rotate the face more open going back to get it up higher and maintain the loft in the backswing (left palm looking at my cheek).

Now, I spend all my time practicing how to release the ball. Spin is inconsistent and irritating, watching a ball grab and pull up is the most annoying shot on the course. It might look good, but a ball rolling upto the hole is infinately better! But yes, its good to have spin in the armoury, just exaggerate it until you get the right balance

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Just exaggerate, ie you might think you are off the back foot, but move it farther back. You might think you are coming down, but you probably aren't, and keep the hands well in front of the ball. I hit flops from the back, just rotate the face more open going back to get it up higher and maintain the loft in the backswing (left palm looking at my cheek).

Now, I spend all my time practicing how to release the ball. Spin is inconsistent and irritating, watching a ball grab and pull up is the most annoying shot on the course. It might look good, but a ball rolling upto the hole is infinately better! But yes, its good to have spin in the armoury, just exaggerate it until you get the right balance

You'll need Spin to hold our Greens next week, so you better get practicing (I've booked Thursday off can you make it)? Hope you like fast greens because they are getting rapid with this fine weather. :)

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yep, I will be there:). I have finished the irons and am now testing each one. The Geek will be back in the bag but I'm still short of all wedges, 3 wood and hybrid, so the set is made up of spares

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I've spent the last 20 years trying to avoid spin. Its off the back foot, descending blow nipping into the ball with the grooves. I practice like mad to get the ball to release never mind spin, its a pain in the arse.
I usually try and avoid spin on my short game as much as possible, to me it is the quickest way to ruin any predictability and get a feel of control based on my level of play. Although this also has always fit into my all to common argument for why I want a LW in my bag. Where most feel you can accomplish the same with say a SW. In order to do so you will need spin.

While I can easily hit a ball and put enough spin on it to do a one hop and stop, trying to regulate the distance to within maybe 5-10 feet is another story. Much easier to get a predictable distance when simply relying on the loft of the club to do the work, and not having to worry about how much the ball is going to decide to grab on any given shot. Just had too many shots that went the desired distance and because it either didn't check up just right or did catch it just right and release, it didn't even finish on the green. I figure I am willing to take the rare occasion where I cannot get a more lofted shot to settle to within a makable putt, over the more common where it just didn't react as expected with the spin. The main reason I have argued that while you need to know when not to use a more lofted wedge, it requires much less practice than trying to do the same with a less lofted club.

edit 1 - Yeah, I know, this is kind of a challenge in a sense. But I just can't wait to see all the same people that argued to ditch a LW coming back on this one and saying, "Why would you want to use spin when it requires alot of practice to do effectively?" Call it payback I guess. :D

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I totally agree, the lob wedge has its place but the vast majority of chips are betetr off played when you can predict the ball will release and roll, hence why I use a nine iron a lot from the middle if the stance, hands in front, played a 1/3 carry 2/3 roll, 50/50 if its wet

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online