• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Making the switch

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
So, I've been playing Wilson Staff Pi5's all year, and have been playing some really good golf. However, recently, I haven't been hitting them at all well, and it's getting to the point that when I look down at them, it's like looking at a stranger. I have no idea where the ball is going to go, and the weight just feels unfamiliar. So, in light of this, I've decided to go back to my old set of irons.

I got these from my uncle several years ago when I started taking up golf. They're essentially the same design as the Ping Eye2. But, it seems like whenever I have problems with a newer, more modern set (like the Pi5's, or the Hogan Edge CFT's I played the last couple of years), I just keep coming back to these.
12-3-2006 004.jpg
12-3-2006 013.jpg

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Are they just similar or are they exactly the same?

To me they seem more attractive than the Eye2, which I always found gaudy. Those seem smoother and less bulky. Never heard the name, though.

OP
Fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
I'd say they're similar. They have a smaller head, narrower sole, and softer feel (to me; though I've only hit an actual set of Eye2 twice). Otherwise, they have the same general shape.

I know that my uncle had them custom made for him. However, the only info I have about the maker is this: Hubby Habjan

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
My sticks are ancient... and my driver costs less than $100. I LOVE to bomb it past guys with drivers costing more than my entire bag.... and that includes my 20 year old Ping putter...

Go with what works man.... even though I am a Wilson Staff guy.

OP
Fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
[snip] even though I am a Wilson Staff guy.[/snip]

Well, it's not that I think the Wilson's are bad. Just that at the moment these feel more comfortable to my eye.

Re: your other point, I got virtually all my clubs on clearance or in trade. I paid $175 for the Pi5's, ~$150 for my driver, and $80 for my Dh6. The only clubs I paid in full were the wedges.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
they look exactly the same as my old Karsten I's:D

As you mentioned got ur Pi5's for 175. Wilsons have a terrible resale value. Too bad. I'd love to play some tour Wilson stuff, they must be great. As per retail..... not quite.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Hey, whatever works. Some of us, myself at least, are particular about what clubs we use. I can tell the difference in cheaper drivers, and I lose distance.

However, putters, give me anything.

🔥 Latest posts