• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Man, what a day

Lamma

May 23, 2005
They say that in golf the breaks even out. If that's the case then my course owes me big time in the good break category. Not that I was hitting stellar shots to begin with. It was a rough day all the way around on the course.

I had a ball bounce into a water hazard on the left when it was drawing right. I saw it land heading right and then it bounced left into the water. I looked for where it hit and there was some nobby clumps there... Maybe I should have taken a sample of these grasses that seem to be able to defy the laws of physics.

I hit some good shots into the greens but most of them rolled off or far away from the pin. The greens weren't putting particularly fast so I don't know why this was happening.

Trees, trees, and more trees. More like thin branches knocking my ball to wherever was the worst possible point. Dead behind the tree, off against a chain link fence, and one that I think the tree simply swallowed.

I also lost two balls in light rough. I saw exactly where they went, but when I got up to where I thought they were, they vanished.

I finally surrendered when on one hole, an uphill par 4, I hit low but long drive that veered to the right, hit a tree dead center, bounced back directly on to the cart path and rolled a good 120+ yards into a stream.

It just wasn't my day. But that's cool. I have tee time at 9:27 tomorrow so I'll be back at again. I just need to stop by the store to buy some more balls.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I know what you mean about the trees.. last game I played, it was fatal attraction. If there was a tree, that's where my ball was. I was punching a lot of 5 irons pretty skillfully though. It stinks having to eat a stroke just to make your ball playable..

By the way, what's the ruling on unplayable lie? Does that mean if it's sitting on pavement or if you can't swing or what?

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
If it's on pavement, say a cart path, you get FREE relief. Immovable obstruction. i.e., man made device that interferes with your stance or area of intented swing.

In case it's a cart path, you find the NEAREST point of complete relief. i.e. where it doesn't interfere with your lie or your stance. Then you get a clublength from that spot to drop. No nearer the hole as with everything in golf.

An unplayable lie is a lie that is IN PLAY, i.e. NOT in a hazard or OB, that you CHOOSE not to play. A good example that we like to use around here is the ball sitting on a tree root. You COULD play it, but probably hurt yourself, others, or snap your club.

In this case, under penalty of ONE STROKE, you could drop at a spot within TWO club lengths of your current lie, no nearer the hole. Another option in unplayable lie is to rehit from the previous spot. The last option is to take the point where the ball lies now, and LINE IT UP with the flagstick, then drop BEHIND the spot it is now, going back along that line as far as you'd like staying in bounds and out of a hazard.

What taking an unplayable lie does is basically turns your lie into a lateral hazard. Red stakes are your friends.

In conclusion, if you are taking relief from a man-made immovable obstruction, it is free relief. Just escaping from a bad lie costs you one penalty stroke under unplayable lie.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Well... I don't know if those trees were fake.. they tasted real, but I've been tricked before.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
re the immovable obstruction...how does that apply to being at the edge of a fence on the in-bounds side but it affects your stance?

as in, I hook a ball off the tee and it comes to rest right near a fence off the left hand side of the fairway, but still in bounds...being right-handed, I have no stance, do I get relief from the immovable obstruction?