• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

March Madness

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Big 10 teams really sucked. Wisconsin shot bricks all night. And their D looked like crap. 6' 11" white guys that can't run, jump, or shoot. There's a real winning combination. Clang! Clatter! Doink! They couldn't even make 2 free throws...........Clank! How humiliating was that performance? :(
Pathetic, revolting, disgusting. Kind of like your pictures!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Memphis is looking great right now, they even made their free throws last night. :wow:

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I have Memphis winning it all in my bracket. But I had them playing the Tn Vols so I'm half dead already.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Don't remind me. I need them to lose.
Right now, should Kansas win it all, it is between me and one other guy. Right now we both have KU and NC, I have UCLA and he had Duke. I picked Texas to Play KU in the Championship, he has Memphis playing KU. I would have been happy with both Texas and Memphis losing yesterday. Before yesterday we were tied, only he got points for both Texas and Memphis, where I had Pitt knocking off Memphis. I really like my Texas pick now, more than in the beginning. They are looking real good in the tournament.

So now should KU win it all, I need Memphis to lose in the worst way. :) Whether I can win the pool will be decided for me tomorrow. There is money for the top 3, so even worse, if Memphis wins my wife will actually then have a chance surpassing me for 2nd as she has Memphis as well.

Of course this all not looking past the point that KU needs to get past Davidson and Probably NC in the process. :D While Davidson looks pretty impressive right now, I think KU matches up pretty well against them in that they have 3 very, very good defensive guards to match up against Curry. Possibly the best defensive minded backcourts in the nation. Which if they manage to shut Curry down, it could be a tough day for Davidson.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
I don't know if anyone can shut down Curry. Flowers is a great defensive player, and he's shut down every "star" he's faced, until Curry. That guy is phenominal.:wow:

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
An interesting little caveat, on this years tournament, that I realized today while looking at the final 8. Something that will show the caliber of play in NCAA Basketball this year. I have always followed this as KU has been on the brink of doing so a couple times. That and the fact that I have always been accused by wife of being a stat and trivia nut when it comes to sports.

If Any of the #1 seeds win the championship they will either tie or break the record for NCAA wins in one season. The record is 37 set by a few schools. Memphis can tie this with a win over Texas in their next game. NC can also break the record by winning the championship.

You also have a scenario where 3 teams could actually tie the record in the same year if by some stroke of luck UCLA beat Memphis, then beat NC in the Championship game. Where all 3 would finish with 37 wins.

The Kansas fan that I am, I would simple pray that does not happen. :D .... and in order for me to win my pool, I would simply hope that KU is the only team to tie or break the record, as that is the only scenario for which I can win my pool.

Just food for thought for fellow March Madness fans. :)

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Davidson doesn't just have Curry. They've got a hell of a defense. They looked like the top defensive team last night, not the Badgers. And Kansas better bring their A-game or they'll be wondering what happened just like the Badgers.... :)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I agree, however I think if a team like Kansas can shut Curry down, it is game over. Kansas will get their points regardless. In the same sense, had Wisconsin been able to shut him down Kansas would be playing Wisconsin. I would simply say I don't see anyone else on the Davidson team putting up 30+ points against Kansas. If he puts up 33 points like he did against Wisconsin it'll be a close game. If they hold him to under 20 I don't see Davidson having a chance in the game.

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
Wow, UNC has yet to have a challenge. If Louisville can't get something going in the second half that'll be the fourth straight easy win for carolina.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Davidson doesn't just have Curry. They've got a hell of a defense. They looked like the top defensive team last night, not the Badgers. And Kansas better bring their A-game or they'll be wondering what happened just like the Badgers.... :)
I was going to post the same thing yesterday, but had to run to the store to pick up some corn and some cream cheese. Davidson is much more than just Curry. They move the ball around and create opportunities for Curry. they play great defense, and they have a little depth. How did they only get a #10 seed? I mean, they won 25 straight games going into the tournament. Three of their six losses were away games, and the other three were against powerhouse teams:

vs. NC
at Western Michigan
vs. Duke
at Charlotte
vs. UCLA
at NC State

This is a good team.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I am in no way saying Davidson is a one dimensional team, and am very aware of their talent and even their toughness in schedule. Actually the fact that the majority of their losses came to top caliber teams was a big reason that it was a no-brainer for me to pick them in he first round.

What I am pretty much saying is this, they have a good defense, but is it better than Kansas defense which is considered tops in the country? Wisconsin was the only ranked team to not put 70 points on the board against Davidson. They have other good players, but are they as good as the 6-7 different players on the Kansas team that can light you up for 20-30 points on any given night?

I guess the point is simple, they can try and trade baskets with Kansas and trade defense with Kansas all they want, but will likely lose 9 out of 10 if Curry does not put up good numbers.

Put it into more perspective, in their 3 loses to Ranked teams Curry put up 15 to 24 points. In their last 3 wins against ranked teams, he has put up between 30-40 points, for which the difference also proved to be the difference in the games. Again, I am in no way insinuating they are a one dimensional team, however I am saying that in order for them to beat a top ranked team they are going to need a good game from Curry, as they have proved in the last three games and stats on the season support. While they have talent, and not that I am simply biased toward Kansas, after Curry they have one other person averaging in double figures, Kansas has 4 and a 5th at 9.3. The third on the list for Davidson averages less than 6 players on Kansas roster. Their forth is equal the the 7th player for KU. (Well, yeah, I am kinda biased towards Kansas, however I would still use stats or fact in supporting my statement)

So without Curry, if they want to try and trade players, baskets, or defenses with Kansas they would likely lose 9 out of 10 times. Although to reiterate what I said before, if Curry puts up 30+ points this will be a close game. However as I mentioned KU has 3 good defensive minded guards so they will likely be able to pressure him for all 36-40 minutes of his playing time, and if they can hold Curry to less than 20 points, this will likely be a long day for Davidson. Actually that was my initial comment for why I liked this matchup for Kansas.

edit 1 - also consider, Curry averages about 26 points a game, so it's not like this is trash talk in saying he will need 30+ points, that's only 4 points over his average.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I am in no way saying Davidson is a one dimensional team...
I think Kansas is a superior team in all aspects of the game. I never thought Wisconsin was a great team, and after seeing Davidson beat Gonzaga, I knew they would give the Badgers a tough time. I think KU is for real. That's why I have them winning it all in one of my brackets.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.