• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Maria Sharapova

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
So using something now, that's not banned, but will be banned at some point is just as bad as using it when it is bad?

So how do you feel about the guys that used the long putters up until they were banned?

I just don't care that much about PED use in professional sports...it could be a permanent ban for all I care.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
So using something now, that's not banned, but will be banned at some point is just as bad as using it when it is bad?

So how do you feel about the guys that used the long putters up until they were banned?

I just don't care that much about PED use in professional sports...it could be a permanent ban for all I care.

Did the putters gave a physiological enhancing advantage over the others? If not, then it's just mechanical and can't be compared. I know it's a whole different discussion, but if a long putter would have given an advantage, everyone would have been using one, and the best putters in the game would obviously use one. If lower than 9 degree drivers where to be banned next year, simply you can stop whenever you like it and it's over. Your body won't have "residual long putter traits" after suspending its use.

Here we are talking about drugs which increase mitochondrial ATP generation for example, which would be a clear advantage over the rest of the group, while increasing the risk or a heart problem or endocrinological imbalance.

I've never heard any golfer with thyroid problems or gynecomastia for using a long putter or changing wedge grooves, have you?

If a drug is known is going to be banned on next years tests (even if the reason is absurd) why would you risk taking it if its metabolites can stick around on you long enough for the test to be positive when it is officially banned? I find it an absurd risk and she was most probably aware of such. She took the chance it was going to be gone when the new rules started and lost. So yes, I agree she is to be banned for trying to take an unfair advantage and being objectively caught at it

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Did the putters gave a physiological enhancing advantage over the others? If not, then it's just mechanical and can't be compared. I know it's a whole different discussion, but if a long putter would have given an advantage, everyone would have been using one, and the best putters in the game would obviously use one. If lower than 9 degree drivers where to be banned next year, simply you can stop whenever you like it and it's over. Your body won't have "residual long putter traits" after suspending its use.

Here we are talking about drugs which increase mitochondrial ATP generation for example, which would be a clear advantage over the rest of the group, while increasing the risk or a heart problem or endocrinological imbalance.

I've never heard any golfer with thyroid problems or gynecomastia for using a long putter or changing wedge grooves, have you?

If a drug is known is going to be banned on next years tests (even if the reason is absurd) why would you risk taking it if its metabolites can stick around on you long enough for the test to be positive when it is officially banned? I find it an absurd risk and she was most probably aware of such. She took the chance it was going to be gone when the new rules started and lost. So yes, I agree she is to be banned for trying to take an unfair advantage and being objectively caught at it

If PED's were giving an advantage, everyone would be taking them, the best (insert sport here) players would be using them. This is demonstrably false(even before they will 'illegal'). So...yeah...not a solid argument there IMO.

I could argue that a long putter does have a physiological enhancement. Muscle memory. With that muscle memory comes confidence, with confidence comes better putting. So pretty much a performance enhancing drug. You take it away, and performance decreases.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
If PED's were giving an advantage, everyone would be taking them, the best (insert sport here) players would be using them. This is demonstrably false(even before they will 'illegal'). So...yeah...not a solid argument there IMO.

I could argue that a long putter does have a physiological enhancement. Muscle memory. With that muscle memory comes confidence, with confidence comes better putting. So pretty much a performance enhancing drug. You take it away, and performance decreases.

How is that false? There is enough literature for example to show an increased DO2 and oxygen uptake with the use of ephedra and androstenedione combined as Ben Johnson used in the Olympics when breaking the world 100m record. Not everyone used it because it does come with some serious adverse effects and because it's illegal. As well, not every performance enhance drug works the same for everybody because genetics play a big part. For example, Asians tend to have fast cycling livers so DHEA for example only works with vey very high doses on decreased interval times. So there is not use on them using such.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
eclark53520 said:

How is that false?
Not everyone used it because it does come with some serious adverse effects and because it's illegal. As well, not every performance enhance drug works the same for everybody because genetics play a big part. For example, Asians tend to have fast cycling livers so DHEA for example only works with vey very high doses on decreased interval times. So there is not use on them using such.

You said it yourself.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I'm not arguing that PED's have a physiological affect on the body. That's plainly obvious.

I'm arguing that putters do as well, thus, you should feel the same way about both.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
maria-sharapova-02.jpg

Hot-ass-of-Maria-Sharapova-37.jpg
Has she got pimples on her butt?

🔥 Latest posts