• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Martin Kaymer switch to TM.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I noticed a few weeks back that Martin Kaymer is now using TaylorMade clubs (or at least wearing there hat and using there staff bag). I knew he was a Titleist staffer last seaon and though it was strange that I'd not noticed the switch before. Today I have been watching the Race to Dubai final and they had a feature on Kaymer as he is one of 4 players who have a chance of winning the order of merit. It showed him winning the French & Scotish Open and he was indeed wearing a Titleist Cap. He then had a 8 week layoff through injury and it seems that when he came back he had made the switch to TM. I find it very strange that he'd switch mid season especially after the best two weeks of his Pro career? Maybe the Titleist contract was up for renewal and they were negotiating all season and TM jumped in after his wins had taken him to the top of the Race to Dubia standing?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Suppose it depends on his contract with Titliest. He may have just been playing wedges and putter. Might have had TM stuff in the bag for a while.

All comes down to $s. But memories fade fast. Remember Phil Mick switching to Callway from Titliest? Big Hullabulla at the time, but now Phil is Mr. Callaway with his Mack daddy grooves and all that!

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Maybe it was different 20 years ago, but today every company makes same great quality products. I'm sure Phil will have the same short game with Callaway's Xs, Vokey SMs, or TM Z-grooves if match to his specifications. One might have its prefered brands, but they would perform mostly the same anyway.

So it is down to who pays more for using their products. I'm sure TW wouldn't mind changing back to TItleist for example if they matched Nike's offer for example... I'm sure he is not that loyal to his current sponsor...

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I disagre, I think Tiger is very loyal and will never leave Nike as long as they don't pis him off

no way will he leave for money, not a chance

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I agree with Dave. Nike and Tiger are one in the same this far into the game.

Kaymer probably realized that TM is one of the few big sponsers who's willing to toss out the money and clubs right now. Acushnet is cutting back on the Cobra funding, and being picky on the Tour payouts. He's not a house name, so it's harder for him I'd assume.

I think they all could play anything and do just as well though, so it's just marketing and finances at this point in the game.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I agree with Dave. Nike and Tiger are one in the same this far into the game.

Kaymer probably realized that TM is one of the few big sponsers who's willing to toss out the money and clubs right now. Acushnet is cutting back on the Cobra funding, and being picky on the Tour payouts. He's not a house name, so it's harder for him I'd assume.

I think they all could play anything and do just as well though, so it's just marketing and finances at this point in the game.

He IS a house name on this side of the pond. He Won the French and the Scottish Opens on the bounce & was leading the Race to Dubai standings at that point but then suffered an injury which kept him out for weeks. He will very soon be making waves in the WGC events and will have a big season in 2010. He will be part of the European Ryder Cup team. This is an esablished kid on the European Tour who is very much on the up, the next Bernard Langer. I think TM have made a very good signing but I'm suprised it happened mid season during his injury layoff especially as he had won his 2 previous events with his Titty gear. I just hope the switch doesn't cost him, like some players who switched companies after Majors and there game went backwards.

DerMagier

Jul 14, 2008
He announced the switch to TM during the season.

It was visible because he was then using a TM bag and hat and Adidas shoes as well.

The only club by that time that came from the TM lineup was a 3w. He was supposed to switch to his new clubs at the end of the season.
I think he opted for using his old putter and even driver, but I'm not really sure if really both clubs are excluded from the deal because TM has interest in providing all clubs.

If he switched to the TM clubs already during the injury break I don't know but I would rule that out.

He has a Lacoste clothing deal which will end next year so will most likely switch to TM/Adidas there, too.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.