• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Match Play preparation

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Any thoughts on this? Club match play coming up this weekend. The name of the game will be PAR. I'm thinking I really need to focus on ptching/chipping, and lag putting(Greens at my home course are HUGE).

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
The name of the game will be PAR.
I set no scoring goals for match play. Nor do I usually set a strategy. The name of the game is winning, and sometime a Bogie or even Double Boagie may be enough. During Matchplay I probably spend much more time analyzing my opponents game than my own and playing to his weakness if I see any and try and relate them to my strengths. I spend a great deal of time analyzing how good of a short game he has to determine how aggressive I need to play on approaches. For the first few holes, I just play my own game unless my opponent finds trouble, then start to develop a strategy after seeing his game. It may turn out that I just play my game the entire time, but I have no expectation of doing such going into the match.

While I will many times change my normal round strategy for the sake of playing conservative and winning a hole, I will rarely change my strategy to be more aggressive with a Tee shot for the sake of keeping up with my opponent. I may do so on approaches either way, depending own how I perceive his short game to be during the round. He may drive a short narrow par 4, although I know my best chance for birdie is still laying up and trusting my wedges and short game. Much more intimidating to my opponent IMO if he outdrives me by 50 yards on a hole, only to halve it or lose it later.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
I like to smack myself in the face a few times, put on some eye black and then ram my head into the locker the guy I'm playing uses...especially if he's in the room. After that, GIR's and making putts is the name of the game baby!

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Well I won my first match this Saturday without even showing up! First round bye lol ;)

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Get up and down all day, frustrates the hell out of an opponent. Good Chipping should never be under estimated.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
The work you do 60 yards and in, is where you'll start making them sweat.

Lag 'em closer than them, and chip them off the pins and you'll quickly have them trying too hard to get them close on the approaches.

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Dammit I lost! lol same guy that beat me last year got me again! Lost 3 and 1. I shot a 79 and he shot a 75. I played really well... he just played better!

Lefty_SnowBird

Jul 6, 2009
At least you lost playing some of your better golf... not much you can do from there but work on shaving a couple more shots off your game for next year :)

Good job on the 79! Can't wait to break 80 again...my swing changes are taking longer than I thought to settle in, but I can feel it coming! :)

🔥 Latest posts