• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Match Play strategy

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
So every year on my high school golf team, we do a tournament agaisnt oursleves in match play and see who comes out on top. I made it through the first round no problem, (I was ranked number 3 and i played the number 14), but the #1 kid was in my bracket so i have to play him next. its going to be a tight match so i was just wondering what kind of strategy some of you guys use while playing match play.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I treat it like I would a motorcycle race. Pace him until you know a strong hole for yourself, and pass. Even when you are in the lead, take it easy, same goes for behind. Everybody has a hole that doesn't go too hot, etc. Also, since it's match play, it doesn't matter if you make par and he makes bogey, or if you make eagle and he makes bogey.

Same goes for you, if it's a gone hole you won't win, relax, and collect yourself for the next one.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Don't overthink this game.
Hit the ball, hit it long, hit it straight. Then put it on the green & drop it in the jar. No problem, can't get beat.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Just have an average of 3 on every hole, you may win!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
... and if he wins a hole, make him tee first per the rules. If he is in his pocket, in the woods, in the water, etc.. Play it safe and win the hole. If you walk to the tee box together, and he is hitting first, pull driver every hole. After he hits, go back to your bag for the safe play.

sidvicious

Jul 8, 2005
i think there are few strategies in golf.

basically one couples golf skill with course management.

mentally, play against yourself. forget the opponent.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.