• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Matrix Ozik HD-6 & R9 Outing...

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
So, being the club ho that I am, I picked up a Matrix Ozik HD-6.

It's got the same technology that they are putting out in their TPHD line. Suppose to have much better energy transfer and a smoother kick point. The kick point is around mid for me.

Suppose to have a stiffer tip section for the high MOI heads out there, but offer ultra low spin, with a mid/low trajectory..

I have it playing around 44.75*, gripped with a white sticky Iomic grip. I put it in 2 heads today. CPM'd to 252 in Stiff flex, compared to the 267 of my X Flex Fubuki.

9.5* R9 420cc, set to neutral, neutral weight

9.5* R9 460, set to TP(around 1* open)

The 460 is suppose to be a lower CG than the 420 version, and launch higher with a bit more spin. I'm a pretty high spin player as it stands, and tend to launch the ball high because of it.

I also hit my normal set of, R9 420cc 73X Fubuki against this to see the difference.

In the 420cc head, this shaft is THE BOMB. When I caught one center face, and released, it kicked like a friggin mule! Smooth, smooth shaft, and felt like it hung on to the ball for a few seconds longer than normal. What it gave me was a very MID trajectory ball.. Kinda piercing that looked to climb slightly as it carried. Some looked to kinda knuckle ball the first 50 yards, but perhaps it was my eyes and hacker swing.

What I liked, was even with clumps of fresh WET grass in the fairways and even the short rough, I was STILL getting more roll out than normal. I'd guess I felt that I was getting anywhere from 5-10 yards more roll at as average over the Fubuki. I attribute that to the lower trajectory, as the Fubuki is a higher launching shaft, but ultra low spin.

The R460 was close to the same. Nice sound from the head, and I gouged a few out there that made me and my partner chuckle. Definately a lower ball flight in the 460 over the Fubuki..

With that said.. I think this shaft is damn near close to those who like the Fubuki, but want something that offers the same feeling of the 73g shaft, but in something a bit lighter weight. If you like the low spin, and want to drop the ball flight, but keep the smooth feeling, this is your shaft.

I liked that even when I went after it, or just swung easy, the shaft responded closely.

I think I'm gonna take it out and try it more.. I don't feel like I got any more carry than the Fubuki, perhaps into the wind the Matrix would be better, but I go get more roll out.

Matrix makes some nice shafts, as I've gotten hooked on the Ozik Altus Hybrid shafts..

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Nice write up. I'm still loving the Oban, hopefully when I get finished with school I'll grab a few shafts to try out.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Good review. The HD6 is on my radar as a replacement for the F6M2, as they will be phased out eventually.

I'm also glad that you found it less spin (more roll) than the Fubuki. I found the Fubuki spun way more than my Matrix did. It's a great shaft, but there are better options out there, IMO.

R35

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'd like to give the Oban a run, I hear ALOT of good stuff about it.

I've put a bunch of shafts through the ringer in the last month or two..

Diamana Whiteboard
Fujikura Motore(TM Graphic)
Fujikura Motore F1 2.0
GD Pershing
Mitsubishi Fubuki
Matrix Ozik HD-6
Matrix Ozik Altus

I've narrowed it down, that for MOST of todays heads are going to be lower-ish spin. The R9 I don't think is as low spin, as say the Tour Burner was.. Thats my take, and might be off base to the literature and testing.

With the R9, especially the R9460, I needed to kick a bunch of spin down, but keep enough that at my swing speed, I'm not falling out of the air.

My main goal, is mid trajectory, since I tend to hit it high, and I want some ROLL! :)

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Good review. The HD6 is on my radar as a replacement for the F6M2, as they will be phased out eventually.

I'm also glad that you found it less spin (more roll) than the Fubuki. I found the Fubuki spun way more than my Matrix did. It's a great shaft, but there are better options out there, IMO.

R35

It's without a doubt lower spin than the Fubuki.. Probably not MUCH more, maybe 500-700rpms less than the Fubuki. I haven't hit them in the LM, and don't have data, I might do that one weekend when I'm bored and head to the golf store.

But to me, numbers are just points of interest. On the course is where I care, and I got more roll out, on wet dew laden fairways than the Fubuki. I got more roll with the 420cc R9, than I did with the R9 460. However, I felt like I got a more eye appealing launch condition with the 460..

So it's hit or miss, I'm gonna play with it more, and I'm impressed. I got it in S-flex, and I feel that it profiles just a bit better for me than the Fubuki.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
The HD line from Matrix is very impressive to me. I tried the HD6, TP6HD, HD7, TP7HD, TPHD Blue, and now the HD8 in drivers. All produced very nice trajectories and low spin rates, with the Blue being the highest launching of the batch. I really like the weight of the HD8, it provides an added level of stability through impact that allows me to really let the head go at impact without worrying whether or not it will stay with me.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Forget all these new fan-dangle Matrix shafts!!!

I can't wait to try out my new Code 8!!! :drools:

Just have to wait for my FT-I LCG head to put it in... :thumbs up:

P.S. Good write-up Fat! Thanks.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
It is a nice shaft for sure. I haven't played with a ton of the Matrix shafts, mainly due the cost involved in them.

They are pretty smooth shafts, and I know feel is different among players, but I haven't yet heard anyone to report it being a lifeless stick.. and for a stiff tip section, doesn't have the harsh feel like the Motore F1.

shane0mac1234

Jul 21, 2009
I just made the wise investment into a R9, got it brand new off ebay for 250. I hit it at golfsmith with the stock TM Fuji Motore and I was very pleased with it as a stock shaft, I am looking to possibly upgrade after I get it out to the range and see what is up with it and the HD6 is on the radar, not as much as the Fubuki, I would love to try the HD6, Whiteboard, and Motore F1 in my R9 when it arrives. What is the difference between the shafts I want to try? Namely the stock motore and the real Motore F1?

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
The stock Motore isnt as tip stiff and stout as the F1. The F1 has a lower ball flight than the stock shaft as well. I didn't really care for the stock shaft but it wasn't garbage. The real F1 is a boardy feeling shaft to me. The tip was SUPER stiff feeling, and I didn't feel like I could get much from it. Kicked hard, I felt like I lost the head sometimes, and just didn't impress me. It's a stout hard shaft that wasn't that friendly to me.

The HD-6 is going to give you a mid-trajectory ball flight, some report a mid/high with some insanely low spin. I think those that get the higher shot, have a swing that is prone to it, and they also are probably insanely spinny players. If you are already low spin, this shaft will bring it so far down that you might loose distance. The ball will just struggle to get up in the air, and you'll be short. If you can get it up and airborne, the ball will just roll out wonderfully. The shaft has a distinct "kick" to it on the downswing and is so smooth it's just sick.

The Fubuki is a high launch, low spin shaft. It's as smooth as silk, but from what I hear it's very weight/flex picky.. I've head the higher weight like the 73g is the way to go, and I'm playing my Fubuki a flex over what I normally play. I have one that CPM'd somewhere around 267 or something if I'm correct. My HD-6 is 252 CPM. One X flex, the other Stiff. The Fubuki gives me a little higher ball flight that I'd like but it's not that high in comparison to the stock Motore.

The Whiteboard was comparable to the HD-6, but not as smooth in my opinion, which I think is a trait to the matrix shafts. The ball flight is a bit lower with the Whiteboard, but I feel the spin is higher. I don't get near the roll out with the WB than I do with the HD.

Go try out as many as you can, thats the fun part of the R9.. I've got 2 heads, and plenty of shafts, so it's alot of fun to try it out.

shane0mac1234

Jul 21, 2009
Thanks for the insight, I will def be trying out some different shafts in it and seeing what works best. I am just glad that I can at least play with the stock shaft for now and not have it be a total piece of junk. I have heard a lot of great things about Ozik shafts, tested the r7 limited and not sure if it was the head or the x-con 5.5 but the thing felt horrible to me and was launching extremely high. I plan on def testing out the motore F1 and the HD-6 as they will be easier to get my hands on for testing. Not really looking for high launch so the Fubuki is probably not gonna get a look. Id try the whiteboard but i doubt ill get a shot to use one. I have high hopes for the HD-6 as there has been much hype over these shafts, id love to also try a voodoo, and maybe they will have an TM R9 version of the RIP when it is released, and a Project X, although from what I hear that thing is the spin killer to end all spin killers and you basically need insanely high spin numbers to need that shaft

🔥 Latest posts