• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Matrix Ozik TP-7x

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
First and foremost all the credit from this post needs to go to R35. He heard my complaints, found this, and worked the deal. The Matrix Ozik Tp-7x - lime green in color no less - came this weekend. I have always been curious about the higher priced aftermarket shafts. Are they really worth it? I have been complaining about not being able to feel where the club is during my swing. Up until yesterday I have been playing the Diamana Blue S+ 62g shaft in my 913 D2 driver. It took a mere 3 swings with the Ozik for me to know I had a great combo in my hands that fits my swing. I can't say it was ridiculously longer on every swing. I'm simply not that good. But I played on a course that is my home course and know where my old drives generally end up sitting, and I surpassed most of them. I'm not the longest driver, but I hold my own, so distance was not my main concern anyway. This is where the Ozik shined, accuracy and predictability. I could actually feel the club through my swing, which allowed me to come through from the inside, which is honestly where I probably picked up distance. It also brought down some of my ballooned drives and eliminated a few of those hard hooks.

I have always been afraid to play heavier or x-stiff shafts, and I think in the past they were different. However, I think todays x-flex shafts are different than yesteryears. I now play KBS x-stiff in my irons as well and have not lost any distance whatsoever, only gained accuracy and consistency. The point of this is to encourage those of you who have been teetering on the fence, go give it a shot. You might be surprised at the advantages you find.

To answer my own question...are the high end aftermarket shafts worth the dough? Obviously I cannot speak for many of them, but I can say I've always had good results with the Matrix lines. And for a true review I should pick up a 75 g x-flex in another brand, and I'm sure I will for science sake. I can say, go get the right shaft in your driver! It matters. And 55-60g shafts are not for everyone, despite what the marketing heads tell you.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Well, there goes my shot at trying it.

By the way, price just went up.

R35

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Well, there goes my shot at trying it.

By the way, price just went up.

R35

You can still try it, as long as you stick to your promise to clean it after. Honestly it's up for grabs and you know it. If it doesn't kick your Matrix out of the bag it will be paid back with interest (which may come in the form of wings or steak, but paid nonetheless).

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
This is why I play steel in some of my drivers. I like the feel and performance of a heavier shaft (85+ grams) and I'm unwilling to pay the hundreds of dollars required to get that weight in other materials.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
This is why I play steel in some of my drivers. I like the feel and performance of a heavier shaft (85+ grams) and I'm unwilling to pay the hundreds of dollars required to get that weight in other materials.

I caddied for a guy who played a steel shafted driver forever. So straight, he really didn't lose out. I just found myself being sucked into the distance, distance, distance - lighter, lighter, lighter marketing over the past few years. I do feel that for many, many golfers lighter shafts do fit their swings and have helped them. And it has nothing to do with strength, it may just be your swing, but I hope others give a heavier, stiffer shaft a try before assuming 55g is good for them because TM said so.

🔥 Latest posts