• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

MaxFli Fire Tour

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Well, played nine holes with this ball today along with hitting a second shot on each hole with the TP Red to compare. Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the way that this ball performed, good distance and adequate spin, a fairly soft feel around the green.

The first hole is only an easy 19* hybrid off the tee, so distance was not a premium here, both balls landed at around the 95 yard mark. I hit an easy sand wedge and found that the TP Red launched a bit flatter and held it's flight a bit better. The Fire Tour (FT) came off the face a little higher, but still had a decent trajectory. The TP took one hop and stopped while the FT took one slightly larger bounce and then backed up about a foot, so the total distance was about the same. Putting, both balls came off the putter with a slight click, and rolled pretty well, a bit softer feel with the TP than the FT, but both were good.

The second is a par 5, so I could really see how they reacted off the driver. The ideal shot is to aim at a fescue mound on the left and cut the ball back to the fairway. I hit both tee shots solidly, the TP seemed to jump off the face a bit more, and launched a tad lower. The FT did come off well, nice flight and easy to control. The TP was about two yards past the FT. I hit five iron with both balls into the green and was actually able to control the ball flight a bit better with the FT, getting the ball to come in with a high fade to stop about twenty feet from the hole. The TP didn't quite get the same height and stopped about thirty five feet left of the hole.

The rest of the round was pretty much the same, the TP was a touch longer, but the higher ball flight off the irons of the FT made it easier to get the ball to stop. The TP spun a little less, but landed with a one bounce and check pattern while the FT took a larger bounce but came back a bit to even it out. I hit 7 GIR with the TP and 7 with the FT, so I did get to hit a few chips with each ball. The TP reacted a bit better out of the longer rough, I was able to hit the low skipping shot that stopped quickly with more consistency than with the FT. I was still able to generate enough spin with the FT to get the ball to stop, but could not be quite as aggressive with it.

All in all, the Fire Tour is a good ball, I like it more than the Bridgestone e5 and e6 or Titleist NXT/NXT Tour which would be the balls that I would most compare it to. The Fire Tour is in a price range where there are not too many other models ($30 US per dozen).

OP
BStone

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
Threw the US Dollars in there for our friends from North of the Border and other places. ;)

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Thanks for the review, tmag. As I have said, I think the Tour Fire is a great ball. I only hope Maxfli keeps it around long enough for more people to try it.

I have $40 in gift certificates to one of the local golf stores (my tourney winnings). I've been trying to figure out something to buy with them as they expire in 90 days from issue, so I guess the TF is going to the top of the list.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
is it a 2 piece? sound very similar to the Srixon Ad333.TP Red is the harder ball though isn't it? Wouldn't it have been a better comparison with the black?

OP
BStone

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
As was mentioned the Fire Tour is a 3 piece ball. The TP Red and is the "distance ball" of the two TP balls and seeing as the Tour Fire is really a distance ball, that seemed like the best comparison. That and I really hate the TP Black ball.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
No,same with Pro Vs,red is firmer for higher swing speed players

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Real close. The Tour Fire seemed to go a tiny bit farther for me.

Plus the logo on the Tour Fire is much cooler. :D

Cool. I like the Black Max so much, it's good to know there's a direct replacement.

Plus, I can eat, drink and trash hotels as well as JD. Maybe having the cool fire logo will help me play like him...NOT!

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Ok, then why does TM's website say Red has the softer sound/feel and black has the firmer sound/feel? Not arguing with you, dave, just confused...

TaylorMade Golf - Golf Balls Compare All

oh,must be the other way round then,so I am now confused as to why Tmag thinks they are hard

I've always refererred to Titleist balls as Reds and Blacks,never the 'modern' way of X or normal,or whatever.

🔥 Latest posts