• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Maybe ditching the cobras for blades.

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Well, I dug out my old set of Wilson staff tour blades "fluid feel", and wow, they still are nice. The shaft is an old regular flex shaft, the grips are worn, and im really debating selling either my 905T or some videogame/guitar stuff to reshaft and regrip these badboys. Plus, if i dont like them, as a set there still going for close to $100 even being 20 years old. Any ideas on iron shafts, or grips? I was looking at the Black Golds, or DG and for grips i was looking at lamkin crossline cord or GP durometers, thanks yall :)

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I would just do some DG's for now, but dont those Staff Blades have them in it? I have some old staff blades from the mid 70's and they have DG's in them.

OP
Crossfire

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
They might, mine are from the 80's but i have little to no clue about them, the shafts are retardedly long, they were for my cousin who is 6'4. Im 5'11. Plus he was very easy and fluid swinger, im more of a grip and rip kinda guy, I hit 5iron from 205. I need them reshafted and regripped, some of ferrules are broken and the flex is very light.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Most of the Fluid Feel's came OEM with Dynamic shafts. The Dynamic shaft was virtually the same shaft as the Dynamic Gold, just not weight sorted. The Dynamic Gold would be an excellent fit. Were it me, I'd probably use this as an excellent spot for Dynamic Gold Sensicores. The Fluid Feel's are a great blade, but a shot thinned a tad on a cold winter morning can rattle the fillings in your teeth. The Sensicore would give you just a little added filtering of some of the unwanted vibrations.
Good luck and keep us informed how the experiment goes!!!!!!

OP
Crossfire

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Yeah, i set up the net outside, (in 2 inches of snow) and man these things feel good, but holy cow you werent lying, hit a thin shot and dropped the club. I may just get cheaper shafts, How much does a clubfitter charge or reshaft, or is it something it would be worth me learning? I have a ton of tools and workbenches, and im crafty, im the son of a truck driver :)

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Good Lord!!! Son of a gear jammer, a bunch of greasy wrenches and he thinks he's a clubbuilder. Heaven help us!!!! LOL

Most anyone with some mechanical aptitude can reshaft a set of irons. The number is fewer who can do it correctly!! However, there is no better place to start than with a set that you don't have a huge investment in... like the Fluid Feel's. The leading component suppliers Golfsmith and Golfworks offer excellent "how to" manuals. Purchase one and do your homework before you ever touch one of the clubs.

The biggest mistake beginners make is haste. "Okay, Wednesday evening between 7 and 9 I'm going to reshaft a set of irons." The quality of the end product will reflect the time you spend in preparation much more than the time actually spent performing the task. Study each step in the process and plan it out.

How are you going to remove the existing shafts? How will you keep from overheating the hosels and ruining the chrome? Once the heads are removed, what preparation is required before they are ready to have new shafts installed? Do I need unitized tip shafts or parallel tip shafts? What size ferrules do I need? What design ferrules do I want? How do I prep the shafts? Do the shafts get tip trimmed or butt trimmed?

The questions will go on and on. But, once you have reshafted this set... and done it well... you will look forward to the next set you can work on. Lyle, on thie DB, has a shop that is superbly equipped. Lyle has lots of experience and, I believe, probably does a commendable job with his work. Talk to him through PM's and he will be able to steer you in the right direction with tools, etc.

More than anything, take pride in your work and you can begin a hobby that will give you hours of enjoyment throughout your life. Good luck!!!!

Pullmeister

Dec 6, 2006
Are your Fluid flow irons the bore thru models with the red plugs in the bottom or are they a different model.?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Post pics! Demon change your avatar!

Tell us how they go.

OP
Crossfire

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Accually, i think i may just look for some used MP-32'S or 67's, demoed them today, and WOW. Ive never hit an iron shot that felt that good. Who knows, i still have many months still hoing season is over.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I almost bought a set from a shop going out of business, wish I had. I say drop some X100's in 'em, knock that ballflight down as low as possible.

OP
Crossfire

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
All i know, i love this global golf store. R7 Quad TP's for 179? score. Mp-32/33 combos for under 300? Oh man anybody wanna buy a Hibore or Cobra 3100's?

🔥 Latest posts