• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Maybe heade to Wisconsin...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So my wife has a possible job offer outside of Milwaukee, in Waukesha(sp?). She is pretty excited and freaked out about the whole thing and I wouldnt mind a change from Vermont (its where I grew up and lived for 95% of my life). I figured I would post this to get some ideas about what its like in Wisconsin. Not looking for to much, weather, jobs and of course golf. I know some people on this forum are from Wisconsin so ANY feedback or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Again not looking for much, not sure what to really ask to be honest, just looking for any insights I guess...Thanks!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
So my wife has a possible job offer outside of Milwaukee, in Waukesha(sp?). She is pretty excited and freaked out about the whole thing and I wouldnt mind a change from Vermont (its where I grew up and lived for 95% of my life). I figured I would post this to get some ideas about what its like in Wisconsin. Not looking for to much, weather, jobs and of course golf. I know some people on this forum are from Wisconsin so ANY feedback or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Again not looking for much, not sure what to really ask to be honest, just looking for any insights I guess...Thanks!

GE Healthcare huh?

Why not stay in VT and work in the BTV office??

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
Golf is AWESOME great courses around and the rates are really pretty good. Taxes suck highest in the US. Weather not too bad gets cold in the winter but you being from vermont should be used to that. Jobs arent too hard to come by depending what you do.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Have golfed every month in Wisconsin except for February. We tend to be a robust people. Golf is great here. Many courses and if you seek the right ones walk ons are common place. Waukesha is good area. Brewers Fan You'll be close to Miller Park. Packers Fan? Just a short drive to Lambeau Field. Sorry though season tickets are put in wills and waiting list years long. Badger fan Camp Randall and Kohl Center just a 1 hour drive away. An I have not even told you about snipe hunts, Hodags, or cow tipping. Great times.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
GE Healthcare huh?

Why not stay in VT and work in the BTV office??

I wish it were GE healthcare, then we would have no prob staying in VT. Its not though, another good oppurtunity though!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I grew up in Waukesha, but left in 1977, so I don't know much about the town now. Wisconsin as a rule has an interesting mix of traditional midwestern values and progressive thinking. Some pretty country around Waukesha - it's not Vermont, but still nice. The Kettle Moraine area (formed during the last great ice age) the Wisconsin Dells, and the lake country a bit west. I've always said that Milwaukee is one of the best cities around - it's just 900 miles too far north. Great PAC, some excellent taverns (lots and lots of corner taverns - people in Wisconsin do know how to drink, and cheaply). Good museums, good restaurants, and Summerfest, one of the greatest festivals on the planet. Do not mess with the cops in Wisconsin. They have no sense of humor whatsoever.

Oh, and there's the bratwurst...you will eat some brats.

Some decent skiing. Again, not up to Vermont standards, but some OK hills. Miller Park, where the Brewers play, is supposed to be one of the nicest MLB stadiums in the country. And if you're into football, then immediately begin begging and pleading with everyone you meet for tickets to a Packer game at Lambeau. There is nothing like it. When you go, make sure you give yourself time to see the Packer Hall of Fame. And have a brat and a beer at the Sideline before the game.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
People cannot drive for crap though....and be prepared to see state troopers all over the place.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Middle of the State on up is beautiful scenery. Heavily wooded, hills, and golf courses everywhere. Eastern state aside from Door County, is flat treeless and boring for scenery, but lots of nice golf courses. Western and Northern sections are not heavily populated..........but the people that are there are some of the friendliest good hearted souls that you will ever meet. Did I mention lots of great golf courses? Winters are no worse than Vermont. Buy mosquito repellant. :)

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
If you come watch out for "wisconsin turns" ie when someone turns from and intersection and crosses the closest lane of traffic to get to the furthest lane.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Did i mention Cow tipping??? Just kidding. It's a good state. Waukesha area good. Usinger Bratwursts are addictive. Goes well with Miller Barley sodas.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks for all the replies! My wife flies out on Sept 10th to meet with the CEO of the company. They really want her, she has had 2 brief phone interviews and the next email she got was that she had a flight booked...so things are moving really fast. Sounds like Wisconsin is not all that different from VT, I dont ski so dont have to worry about that. One thing that I am definitely not looking forward to though is having the house on the market, it could be the absolute worst time in the last 10yrs to be selling a house...

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
My daughter and son-in-law are moving from Michigan to Peoria, Illinois since he got a job with Caterpillar. He worked for GM (engineer) and daughter worked for Delphi brake division. They have the same problem. Their house is a small mansion. (Both West Pointers who make $$$$$). I trust they will support me in my old age... :laugh:

🔥 Latest posts