• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

McIlroy Baby!!!!!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
10 under thru 27 holes! I can't remember anyone being this far under par since Tiger in 2000. Lets hope he can keep it together for the next 54 holes.

Here's to an entertaining US Open! Cheers!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Good to see him bounce back after the fall at the Masters. The issue though: it's early yet!

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I have to say, Roars just played 35 holes of the best golf that I've seen in a very long time. A little stumble on 18, but I think he's pleased.

I just hope the kid can play with no sleep. Because, I would bet he doesn't sleep to well for the next 2 nights.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
They said McElroy was going to a movie tonight.... Hangover 2. I sorta like this kid. Seems as if he learned from the Masters debacle and is just loose as a goose. He broke or tied quite a number of U.S. Open records this week. He was 13 under, before the double bogey that left him at -11. One of the announcers said the "average" score was -2. The cut line is at +4. Quite an accomplishment so far.

titleistman66

Feb 22, 2011
They said McIlroy was going to a movie tonight.... Hangover 2. I sorta like this kid. Seems as if he learned from the Masters debacle and is just loose as a goose. He broke or tied quite a number of U.S. Open records this week. He was 13 under, before the double bogey that left him at -11. One of the announcers said the "average" score was -2. The cut line is at +4. Quite an accomplishment so far.

One of my co-workers was standing behind him in line at the movie theater, and talked with him briefly. Pretty cool.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Rory - US Open Champion - just an awesome display and hard to believe that 2 guys from Northern Ireland will be consecutive US Open Champs. *veryproud*

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
So, for those of you wishing for a "tigerish" performance, the you had one. Great Victory by Rory, and I guess The Masters is already out of his head.... Funny how we could have been talking about "a half grand slam" already if he wouldn't have choked on that Sunday...

Some other things to take notice of:

1. Jason Day suddenly has ranked second in two straight Majors. I have to say its an splendid performance from someone who most people (I include myself) thought would just go unnoticed. Will the third one be the lucky one (If McIlroy chokes again of course, cause he is unbeatable if on a streak)

2. Schwartel and Oosthoizen each have one Major and scored in the Top 10 this time, which means they are not that far behind and it might have not been just pure luck for each of them....

3. Westwood haters can say what they want, but he is still keeping up unnoticed in the first places of most tournaments, so surely he's not going down anywhere soon

So, is last year's "Rookie of the Year" discussion still open? :D

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Phil was soooo close too, only 23 shots off the pace

Much closer then Tiger. At least he showed up!

And IMHO Rory should be number 1. Without a doubt. Westwood's futile attempt at getting to Rory was a joke. Westwood shouldn't be ranked in the top ten. I no longer like the guy. And let's make Day ranked #2. He's playing great. Shwartzenburger (or whatever) didn't make a charge either. Neither did any of the US players. Looks like the Euros, Koreans, Aussies and South Africans are the ruling class of pro golf now. Phail looked lost out there. Wonder what's going on with him. Maybe Tiger will recover his mojo someday and bring American golf back to the top? Nah.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So, for those of you wishing for a "tigerish" performance, the you had one. Great Victory by Rory, and I guess The Masters is already out of his head.... Funny how we could have been talking about "a half grand slam" already if he wouldn't have choked on that Sunday...

Some other things to take notice of:

1. Jason Day suddenly has ranked second in two straight Majors. I have to say its an splendid performance from someone who most people (I include myself) thought would just go unnoticed. Will the third one be the lucky one (If McIlroy chokes again of course, cause he is unbeatable if on a streak)

2. Schwartel and Oosthoizen each have one Major and scored in the Top 10 this time, which means they are not that far behind and it might have not been just pure luck for each of them....

3. Westwood haters can say what they want, but he is still keeping up unnoticed in the first places of most tournaments, so surely he's not going down anywhere soon

So, is last year's "Rookie of the Year" discussion still open? :D

Westwood lovers crack me up. The guy didn't do jack until he was far enough out of it to have the pressue off, then he played well-since nobody was watching.

Other than that I agree with your points.

Much closer then Tiger. At least he showed up!

And IMHO Rory should be number 1. Without a doubt. Westwood's futile attempt at getting to Rory was a joke. Westwood shouldn't be ranked in the top ten. I no longer like the guy. And let's make Day ranked #2. He's playing great. Shwartzenburger (or whatever) didn't make a charge either. Neither did any of the US players. Looks like the Euros, Koreans, Aussies and South Africans are the ruling class of pro golf now. Phail looked lost out there. Wonder what's going on with him. Maybe Tiger will recover his mojo someday and bring American golf back to the top? Nah.

Gotta say I agree here as well. I was impressed with YE Yang also, did you know he didn't really start playing until age 19? Thats pretty cool.

Glad to see Rory bounce back from the Masters.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I don't get the Westwood hate! The guy has been showing up each week to play golf, and each week has been shooting the most consistent scores on the planet, bar Luke Donald. That's why he was number #1 and is now #2. It would help his cause to get one over the line and I hope he does land a Major some time soon. But that doesn't detract from the fact that he is always there. He couln't buy a putt last night, but still finished tied 3rd. Take the winner out of it and there was only one guy Jason Day (who scrambled like God!) better. What's to hate in a consistent performer like this? That he is European / English? If this was Steve Stricker would there be such an outcry? I doubt it.

Rory is not number one because he lacks consistency. Outside this week's demolition, his stats this year have been less than impressive. Same with Jason Day. So are we saying that the World #1 and #2 should be held by the current winner / runner up of a Major? If Rory continues this form, it will only be a matter of time before he hits the top spot, just like it took the same amount of time for Woods to fall off it. That's why the system works well, and not the cursory "who's hot this week" rule. The same applies to Jason Day.

What I can say is that the future of golf looks good. The twenty somethings are really coming through. I hope Woods finds his MoJo soon, as there may not be room at the top table for him much longer. His target of 18 may be at risk.

As for the Rookie of the Year last year, what was his name again, Rickie something? Well he better step up soon to justify that decision.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I dont have an issue with Westwood being a Euro, could care less actually. And yes, he is consistently at or near the top but he wins SO infrequently-same as Luke Donald. Thats my issue.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I could really care less who is ranked #1 - whatever.

I think that was an impressive showing by Rory, to say the least. He seems to have his head screwed on straight, and lord knows his swing is silky smooth.

I don't get into the hero/idol worship thing, but I can definitely see me telling my 2 year old grandson to mold his swing and style after Rory, instead of another golfer who shall remain nameless at this point., :)

🔥 Latest posts