• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

McIlroy - Irish or American?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Rory has opted not to play in this year's Irish Open. He has been the tournament ambassador for the last 4 years. He is opting to focus on the Open (in Ireland) instead. But it doesn't seem to have gone down terribly well here in his homeland. He is also limiting his time in Europe to the minimum 4 events required to qualify for the Ryder Cup. The rest of the time he is going to focus on PGA Tour, WGCs and Majors. I get this. I get that he also lives in the US and has an Ameican wife/life.

It's tough for these guys to make decisions like this. He is very proud of his Irish heritage but he is also determined to focus on where he sees the lowest hanging fruit. But he also should be helping to give back to the European tour. He is a huge draw wherever he goes. Everyone wants a piece of him. He sells tickets, much the same way that Tiger did/does. But the European tour launched his career. I just hope he doesn't turn his back on it completely. Is it all just about the money?

Thoughts?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Politics... professional sports... corporate America... it's all about dollars. We used to see professional ball players stay with a team for close to their entire career. We used to see people remain with the same company their entire working career. Today, athletes are making tens of millions/year but will move to another team for a higher bid. Corporations will let someone go who has given them 15 to 20 years if they can hire a recent college grad and pay him/her a little less. No mind that the new grad may not have the same relationship with customers. No mind.... Get off my soapbox!!

We were just talking, this morning at the golf course, about the Ryder Cup. It's restricted to U.S. and "European" players. How many on the European team actually have residences in the U.S.? An Australian or a South African can't play in the Ryder Cup because they aren't "European" or "American". Yet, someone like Rory who lives here more than in Europe can be part of the European team.

I'm not faulting Rory. It's the world we live in today. The world has shrunk to where it is not as difficult to have homes on both sides of the ocean. Society has become so based on dollars, one would think a dolt if they didn't play/go/join/reside where they could make the most money... even if they are multi-millionaires.

I don't pay a lot of attention, anymore, to who lives where or what. If I do watch golf, I just watch for the shots and don't "follow" one or two players. I'm a fan of the Game, not a player! I enjoy playing much more than watching. The only professional sports I watch is a few of the Chief's games... only because of how exciting Mahommes is. I no longer watch any college sports. I understand such a take is "unAmerican". So be it!

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Rory's worth $110million so I can't imagine this is about the money. I also wouldn't consider WGCs, Ryder Cups, and majors the "lowest hanging fruit" unless you were speaking in monetary terms.

Personally, I think he's earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants and he has a lot of years left in him so he's just focusing on those certain things for now.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I agree with a lot of this. I see both sides of the fence. Interesting to hear it from others.

Last edited:

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I'm a "touch each there own" kinda guy. If he wants to quit golf and play checkers with Limp, so be it.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
If Rory is going to tank, he might as well do it closer to his Florida home. [emoji6]

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I agree with a lot of this. I see both sides of the fence. Interesting to hear it from others.
I can see a country feeling betrayed and tour fans feeling as though he should dance at least a bit with who got him there.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I can see a country feeling betrayed and tour fans feeling as though he should dance at least a bit with who got him there.

WOW, a Crowe sighting! How's it going dude? Been a while.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Life is great, albeit busy. I'm traveling a lot right now, off to Chicago on Sunday! Hope everything is good on the Crowe world. Hanh a while here. Lots of new dudes as well as some old ones!!! :)

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Life is great, albeit busy. I'm traveling a lot right now, off to Chicago on Sunday! Hope everything is good on the Crowe world. Hanh a while here. Lots of new dudes as well as some old ones!!! :)
Seems a bit slow these days, not that there's anything wrong with that.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.