• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Meadowbrook golf course RI

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
I played this course yesterday for the first time in 10 years. It used to be owned and maintained by a non golfing family and it showed. If you looked up dog track in the dictionary there would be a picture of Meadowbrook. It used to get a lot of play, by 5 somes, 6 somes, shirtless fat guys and clueless teenagers, The reason? It cost $12 to play and it was the only course open year round. In the winter it was $6. "Put your money in an envelope and drop it in the slot please".

A couple of years ago new owners bought it and they invested serious money turning it into a golf course. The greens are greens, not just grass mowed real short, the bunkers have sand not hard dirt and the water hazards have water instead of knee deep stinky mud.

At 7500 yards from the tips it's long enough to challenge big hitters but there are 5 tee boxes to accomodate every game. I played from the middle at just under 6500 yds.

Part of the course is wide open, with the rough cut fairly short so a drive a few yards off the fairway is usually playable. around the greens the rough wasa longer and thick. Miss the green and the rough will have an impact. There are areas of fescue and heather that will swallow your ball and a couple of forced carries that were probably tougher off the back tees. There are also a half dozen holes with narrow fairways bordered by mature pines. The new owners have cleaned out much of the underbrush here so that an errant shot is punished but players can usually find the ball quickly.

Greens are large and contoured but not tricky. I found them actually easy to read and I putted well for once. My only complaint was that it seemed like every pin was tucked in the narrowest corner of the green and guarded by a bunker. At my home course it's possible to putt out of many greenside bunkers. I've actually gotten pretty good at that. Not so here.

The new clubhouse is not built yet, but you can get a snack and a drink in the bar located in a temp clubhouse. I've got my fingers crossed that this place survives the current golf/economic climate.

If you are in the area (Fowwoods, Mohegan Sun, Mystic) give it a try. It's not on a par with Lake Of the Isles, but it's a lot cheaper.

🔥 Latest posts