• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Method of checking the ball w/ pitching or chip shots

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
i usually play w/ cheaper balls on the course, but on my approach shots, the ball backs up on the green.

i've been having trouble getting the balls to check (but not rolling back) around the green though. it seems like the bunker shots, 50 yard (or less) pitching shots, or chip and run shots make the ball hit the green and release and run over the green.

i do have few prov1 that i can use, but i'm also thinking it might be 3 year old $20 wilson lob wedge that i'm using.

my grooves are clean, divot looks good, but i feel like my club head speed isn't up to the speed where it'll create enough spin.

should i try different wedges, perhaps vokey Spin Milled, sonartec, or Mcgregor (they are also spin milled)?

or what is the technique (besides hitting down on the ball) for little bit more spin inducing pitching/chipping shots?

thanks

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
Not leave yourself chips and pitches? Sorry, all sarcasm aside, the amount of spin you generate is directly related to how hard you hit the ball . Since you aren't hitting the ball hard on pitches and definately chips, you aren't going to generate as much spin. Maybe someone else will have some other hints, but just from the slower speed you will be generating less spin.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
The way i do it is open the clubface slightly and just pick the ball as cleanly as possible. I follow through ALL the way to a full finish to make sure i nvr decelerate. Divot wise there isnt much of one, if i execute properly i usually have as thin of divot as you can get and its no longer then 2 inches.

That will usually (assuming avg flatish surface) will take a 3-4 foot hop, stop and spin about 5-6 inches. (for me anyway, if i can ever get video to upload onto my comps ill do a little playing lesson for you;))

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
The way i do it is open the clubface slightly and just pick the ball as cleanly as possible. I follow through ALL the way to a full finish to make sure i nvr decelerate. Divot wise there isnt much of one, if i execute properly i usually have as thin of divot as you can get and its no longer then 2 inches.

That will usually (assuming avg flatish surface) will take a 3-4 foot hop, stop and spin about 5-6 inches. (for me anyway, if i can ever get video to upload onto my comps ill do a little playing lesson for you;))

Um... you take a 2 inch divot and make a full finish on a chip? :confused:

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Sry, two inches long, and super shallow. But im using ALOT of clubhead speed to do this, usually this shot on a 1/4 swing will go about 15-30 yards.

I dont actually have to go all the way to a full finish, but i tend to get a little lazy in my swing sometimes, so i go all the way up to ABSOLUTELY make sure i dont decelerate.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Put the ball back in the stance,you will come down on the ball steeper and generate spin.The mistake higher handicap players make is that they THINK the ball is back,but it isn't,its probably in the middle of the stance and yet they think its at the back.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Dave is right, common misconception is ppl think they need to hit it high and put it up in their stance, where you want to hit down in the back of your stance.

Although i have it in the front of mine? Lol, dont copy me:p

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
When choosing a cheap but good ball, a great starting place is finding one that is 3 piece. Why?

A 2 piece ball can only compress so much because when the ball begins to compress on the club face, only the cover is compressing, while the core does very little. A 3 piece ball has the cover and the mantle compress, allowing for greater spin.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
Hold the club with both hands, but swing it with your right hand only if ya get me. The ball will come out softer and check quicker. Works for me anyway

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
Hold the club with both hands, but swing it with your right hand only if ya get me. The ball will come out softer and check quicker. Works for me anyway

is this for a lefty or right ? just so theres no confusuion since your a lefty.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Another good feeling on all short shots is to feel as though you are "striking a match" under the ball. This really keeps you accelerating through the ball.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It's tough to do this time of year 2fast. I hit a PW when I was playing with you last time from about 100yds. and I put mad spin on it. I had my feet close together, ball back and caught it so clean I thought I mighta sculled it, but didn't. That ball had a low, line drive trajectory and shot straight up in the air when it hit the green. I checked the pitchmark, frozen at the bottom. That was a skip-stop and should have left me a putt inside 2 feet. Instead it rolled 12 feet to the back, leaving me a 14footer from the fringe.

It'll come back. If you have trouble I can help you personally. I can show you how to hit that skip stop, it's not hard. I would also like to help you learn to hit more fades with the irons. You have the perfect swing to learn and become proficient with the fade, you'll have no problem stopping those.

Nyper

Feb 23, 2006
Also pay attention to what kind of grass you're in. Chip/pitch shots are often to the left/right of the green and in the rough.

One of the biggest factors of spin is friction. In the longer rough, there is very little of the friction needed to cause the spin.

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
thanks for the reply guys..
it sucks that it's too cold outside to experiment.. damn working.. damn the weather..

ez: do you still go out to range these days? i went to the eagle dome few days back.. but i think i'm done seeing my ball fly 50 yds and just stop. when do the seekonk driving range close? maybe we can meet there or something.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
For a righty. I was being accommodating of the minority group we have here ;)

🔥 Latest posts