• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Michelle Wie disqualified

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
You know....I thought things couldn't get any worse for this girl (woman). But they did.

ESPN - Wie fails to sign scorecard, gets disqualified from State Farm - Golf
"Wie failed to sign her scorecard after Friday's second round."

WHAT!?!?!? How do you "fail to sign" a scorecard? Didn't her playing partners notice? Or an LPGA representative? Or---HERSELF?

The bizarre circumstances Wie manages to put herself into are almost unbelievable. She's a vapid golfing automaton who doesn't think before she does anything. You want to blame it on growing up too fast, but she has been playing USGA and LPGA tournaments since age 11. It's like there's just no brain up there.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
She needs a serious Pro caddy to baby sit her butt. Good grief. Finally gets a good tourney going, and throws it away with a dumb move like that. Rules are what they are, and they do not change very often.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
She was playing great too, she always seems to play ok for a few days then self destructs but that's no excuse for not signing your card that's just plain stupidity.

Burg

Jul 17, 2007
I'm not a big Wie fan but IMO this ruling is absolutely ridiculous.

From the article:

"Wie said that after she finished her round on Friday, she left the tent where players sign their scorecards and was chased down by some of the tournament volunteers working in the tent who pointed out she hadn't signed.

Wie returned to the tent and signed the card.

"I thought it would be OK," she said.

But Wie, according to Witters, had already walked outside the roped-off area around the tent. At that point, the mistake was final."

That's crap. It's not like she waited an extra day. You're telling me that if she had not left the ropes she wouldn't be DQ'd? Is that the spirit of the rule?

I love golf but some of its rules are just incredibly stupid.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I agree on that rule. What in the world difference does that make as long as she signs it. She didn't take the card with her. :(

Burg

Jul 17, 2007
I agree on that rule. What in the world difference does that make as long as she signs it. She didn't take the card with her. :(

It's another "rule" that golf could do without. The fact that the golf rulebook is akin to the IRS Tax Code should tell us something.

Explain to me why we can't have automated scoring in professional tournaments. I don't recall the Boston Red Sox having to keep the Rockies' score during the World Series. I also don't recall the NY Giants keeping the Patriots' score during the Super Bowl.

Golf is a great game but its rulebook is antiquated and obese.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I'll probably get flamed for this, but golf has a number of lame archaic rules that need to be changed & that's one of them. Everyone & their brother knows what she shot, what difference does it make if she even signed the card? The girl has been living under a microscope for how many years now? Every little thing she does is commented on, torn apart, analyzed, & disected. Sure she has made mistakes, but I think it's more the fault of her parents/handlers than anything else. Any of us probably would have cracked from the intense amount of pressure she has been & is under.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Holy Frickin' Mergatroid!!!! What is the next chapter to be written in the saga of Ms. Wie? Unbelievable!!!

First, as another poster pointed out, this young lady has played in dozens of tournament events. If this were her first "rodeo"... if she had zero idea that she needed to sign the scorecard (isn't that why you go to the scorer's tent... to tally, sign, and turn in your card?)... perhaps there could be an excuse. That, however, is not the case. This is a perfect example of a "brain fart"... something that separates "professionals" from those with professional potential.

I akin this to a person on a construction site that forgets to put on a hardhat. Nothing overhead to worry about... no emminent danger... it's just one of the rules. If there's no danger... perhaps it is a "stupid rule". But, if you are going to exist in that world, you have to play by the rules. Ms. Wie... every poster on this board, including myself... and the entire golfing community may think this rule ridiculous. But... until someone changes the rule... if you're going to play at that level you MUST abide by ALL the rules.

This young lady has all the attributes to become one of the best to ever play this game. The only things lacking are the experience of playing at this level and the, if seems, ability to focus. Both should come with maturity. Some mature quicker than others. Some use tough experiences as stepping stones to improving. To others, those tough experiences can be back-breaking. Let's hope, when this lady's life story is finally put to paper, these experiences are just chapters in a journey to success.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'll probably get flamed for this, but golf has a number of lame archaic rules that need to be changed & that's one of them. Everyone & their brother knows what she shot, what difference does it make if she even signed the card? The girl has been living under a microscope for how many years now? Every little thing she does is commented on, torn apart, analyzed, & disected. Sure she has made mistakes, but I think it's more the fault of her parents/handlers than anything else. Any of us probably would have cracked from the intense amount of pressure she has been & is under.
No flame from me on this one. She's a kid for chrissakes! She's been put into the meatgrinder, and told what to do for the last 8 years by people whose only goal is to put her in a position to make THEM money. Loads of natural talent, ruined by her stint with Ledbetter, beaten into submission by expectations playing on sponsors exemptions in tournaments she had no business entering, and subjected to intense media pressure that would have melted most kids her age.

She's got some growing up to do. She needs to have some time to be Michelle Wie, and not everyone's idea of what Michelle Wie should be.

And yes, that rule, along with several others, is idiotic.

OP
cabinessence

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
I'm not a big Wie fan but IMO this ruling is absolutely ridiculous.

From the article:

"Wie said that after she finished her round on Friday, she left the tent where players sign their scorecards and was chased down by some of the tournament volunteers working in the tent who pointed out she hadn't signed.

Wie returned to the tent and signed the card.

"I thought it would be OK," she said.

But Wie, according to Witters, had already walked outside the roped-off area around the tent. At that point, the mistake was final."

That's crap. It's not like she waited an extra day. You're telling me that if she had not left the ropes she wouldn't be DQ'd? Is that the spirit of the rule?

I love golf but some of its rules are just incredibly stupid.
Hmm, they added that to the article after I made my post. I feel a little more sympathetic to Wie and the LPGA now--people DID notice that she had skedaddled, and she did come back to sign her card. It's easy to think of a situation where you're excited, exchange cards, confuse the attest for a signature, and run off to talk to your dad or reporters or whatever.

That said, still unbelievably stupid. What do the announcers say after every important round? "Now just don't mess up the scorecard!"

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Ok now that's really screwed up, I failed to notice that the infraction happened on friday & she wasn't informed of any disqualification until after her saturday rd was complete. Something stinks in the officiating on this call.

Stooonne

Jul 17, 2008
I do agree that there are a lot of rules in golf that should be altered and updated, but this one really isn't much of an issue.

How often does this really happen? It really doesn't seem like a 'bad rule', just a very stupid moment in Wie's life.

For those saying the rule has to be changed, how would you suggest it be changed? There has to be some deadline for when the signed scorecard has to be in.

Edit: That being said I was actually hoping she would win

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Shes a tool for not signing her scorecard RIGHT AWAY.

In tournament golf, you HAVE TO sign it right away, you CANNOT FOR ANY CIRCUMSTANCE leave the scoring area without signing!!!!

This is not a dumb rule in any shape or form, she made YET ANOTHER stupid mistake. It's like "whats guna happen next" with ms. wie...

🔥 Latest posts