• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mickelson has psoriatic arthritis

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i saw this on "Phil Mickelson's Notes" Facebook page:

HAVEN, Wis. (August 10, 2010) – Given his pubic announcement Tuesday at the PGA Championship it’s pretty remarkable that Phil Mickelson shared fourth in the U.S. Open two months ago weeks ago, it’s revelatory about his lackluster performances at the Barclays Scottish Open and British Open, and it’s little surprise that he finished 15 shots back at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitationa<wbr>l Sunday.

Mickelson disclosed that he’s been suffering with psoriaticarthritis since the week before the Pebble Beach Open in mid-June. The condition,which causes joint pain, stiffness and swelling, first flared just days after he told Amy he’d never felt better and five days before the championship began.His left index finger was so swollen that he couldn’t rap it around the club ashe wound around the course.

The ailment was diagnosed and Mickelson went on anti-inflammatories to get through two weeks in the United Kingdom. A secondopinion from the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota soon after that confirmed the diagnosis. For the last two weeks Mickelson has been injecting himself with Embrel, which blocks the protein that causes inflammation, and that regimen will continue.

“Everything is fine now,” said Mickelson. “For the last week I’ve been able to practice and play full bore.”

That’s not what he said after his practice round/match with Jeff Overton against Steve Marino and Dustin Johnson.

When Overton congratulated him on making the winning 20-foot putt on 18, Mickelson laughed, “Yeah, well you didn’t see me for the first 11holes.”

Later, after a media member pointed out that he was a Las Vegas favorite to win the PGA, Mickelson pointed out that he had played three events in seven weeks before the Bridgestone, where he acknowledged only thathe wasn’t sharp, and said, “I don’t know where I’ll be on Thursday but hopefully I’ll be ready.”

If the news of his condition didn’t come as enough of a shocker,Mickelson also revealed that since the diagnosis he’s been a vegetarian. That landed like a meteor on a barn.

“As long as I believe there’s possibility that it will help me overall I’ll continue to do that,” he said. “It if will somehow keep this in remission or stop it from coming back I’ll be able to do it.

“But I haven’t been put to the real test. The real test is driving by aFive Guys (burger place) and not stopping. I don’t know if I can do that yet but we’ll see.”

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
I bet there was a short period of time after the Open he said WTF!!!!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Poor fellow. If he's become a vegetarian, I wonder if we'll see a sudden weight drop?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Wave a juicy medium-rare T-bone in front of his nose and I'm betting he won't stay a vegetarian.....

and I have ankylosing spondilitis so I know all about the arthritis in the joints. Wonder how much it's going to affect him. Maybe I could have played on the tour!!! :p:emot-angel:

🔥 Latest posts