• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mid-Life Crisis?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Sorry, but I just need to vent, I turn the big 5 0h in December, and for some reason, it just kinda started to hit me recently. Not so much the aches and pains, lord knows I've had those for years already. But just the realization that I've lived a half a century, and haven't accomplished a quarter of what I'd intended when I was younger.

I'm not a scratch golfer, and can see now that its not going to happen either. Hell, I can't even break 80, more or less shoot par.

I've never been out of the USA, not a lot of other countries I really want to see, but I would like to make it to Scotland, England and Australia one of these days.

Being unemployed isn't helping for sure, man I hope the job market turns around soon. Going back to school has helped a little, and I am proud of my 3.5 GPA so far. But I swear, the next time someone asks me, have you found a job yet, I think I'll snap. Trust me my friends and family, when I find one, it will be big news in my life, I'll let you know.

I could go on and on griping, but I'll spare ya'll that. How did you other members deal with turning 50? Or am I the only one its hitting this hard? I know I can't be alone in this boat, wasn't there a song and a movie called Middle Age Crazy? :D

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I have 3 years before I turn 50 but honestly it doesn't bother me. Went thru that shit when I turned 30 for some reason.

As far as getting out of the country, there may not be any countries aside from the ones you mentioned that you think would interest you, but I guarantee Italy is fantastic. Make it happen one way or another.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Dude, you're old.

I say two things.... 1)I hope the job situation turns around for ya. I was layed off for a year out of the last two so I can relate. and 2)Take a damn vacation. Get out of country. I've only ever been to Jamaica and that is one of my biggest fears.... life will pass by with me not having done a damn thing.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Wait until you turn 60................that's the big shocker. My working days are done and I didn't accomplish jack s#%$&##*!!! As far as seeing other countries, I still have to see alot of the United States (the West, Hawaii, and Alaska) yet. I've seen Southeast Asia. That really sucked. Australia and Brazil would be on my list. Europe doesn't excite me.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I have 3 years before I turn 50 but honestly it doesn't bother me. Went thru that shit when I turned 30 for some reason.

As far as getting out of the country, there may not be any countries aside from the ones you mentioned that you think would interest you, but I guarantee Italy is fantastic. Make it happen one way or another.
Italy does sound appealing, I just don't want to walk around not understanding what everyone is saying, lol.

Dude, you're old.

I say two things.... 1)I hope the job situation turns around for ya. I was layed off for a year out of the last two so I can relate. and 2)Take a damn vacation. Get out of country. I've only ever been to Jamaica and that is one of my biggest fears.... life will pass by with me not having done a damn thing.

Yep, I've been laid off almost a year now and it sux. I've never had any trouble finding a job in the past, but then again, I was never almost 50 and looking for a job either.

And you're right, once I get back to work, I'm definitely starting a savings account just for a trip abroad. probably a golfing trip to Scotland or Ireland.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Wait until you turn 60................that's the big shocker. My working days are done and I didn't accomplish jack s#%$&##*!!! As far as seeing other countries, I still have to see alot of the United States (the West, Hawaii, and Alaska) yet. I've seen Southeast Asia. That really sucked. Australia and Brazil would be on my list. Europe doesn't excite me.

Seeing Vietnam during a war doesn't count as a vacation there George, :D

I've seen all of the Continental US during my truck driving days, I would like to make it Alaska and Hawaii also though.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
It's not a big deal, I'm half your age, but reading some of this makes me feel blessed in different ways for what I've done and seen so early, and makes me cherish some of it a bit more considering we all have done and do different things in our lives.

I never really thought traveling was a big deal, living in other countries as special, but moving and staying around here, I know people who haven't left the state they were born in, let alone the country.

No need to be bummed about 50. It sure beats the alternative. :)

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I know it sounds weird to go to a country where you don't speak the language, but you might be loosing more than you are winning by keeping it that simple. I've been to a lot of places, some of the strangest ones in the world (like Sudan for example), and I have never had a problem on getting people understand what I'm trying to say. I'm not a native English speaker, but I have used it in most places having great results (except for France, where its easier to go around speaking any language but English).

Why not think in Central-South America? Most of the Caribbean is extremely tourist friendly, specially English speaking friendly. You could get to a place like Cartagena, Colombia, or Punta Cana in Dominican Republic, Cozumel in Mexico, etc. Golf courses all around, sand, beaches bikini, and the gorgeous lovely bodies only Latin women can provide :D

You're more adventurous than that? How about Machu-Pichu in Peru? The Colombian Amazon? Argentinan Patagonia?

Think about it. With the exchange rate of the U.S. in the rest of the Americas' countries, you could have a wonderful get away with a week income and have no regret about it, I promise :D

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
What other language do you speak xamilo?

mdw: Scotland is the shit; don't go to London because you will be stabbed; France sucks; Italy is also the shit; Greece is way cooler than either Scotland or Italy. Can't go wrong the Caribbean, just soak up the rum oops I mean sun. South America could be interesting. Check out Peru or perhaps Ecuador?

Traveling is probably a way better midlife crisis idea than getting a motorcycle or a bigger boat.

Whatever you decide to do, if anything at all, the most important thing to remember is: you are fricken OLD, so you better enjoy it while it lasts. :D

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Traveling is probably a way better midlife crisis idea than getting a motorcycle or a bigger boat.

Yeah, I toyed with the idea of getting a motorcycle a while back, may still one day? I don't really want a bigger boat, just want to get mine back in ship-shape.

I did the affair with the younger woman bit when I turned 40. Been there, done that, used the T shirt to mop up the blood, :D

I seriously doubt SWMBO would put up with that again, :emot-ange

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
MDW, exercise and eat healthy. Age is a number. When you start feeling old, you should think you're old. You've got years and years and years left to do all those things you want to do. Quit ****ing around. It's easier to say "I should've" than "I will."

And you can shoot par, whether you ever do or not. Stop buying new clubs and work on making good contact with the clubface square to the target line, moving through on a shallow curve from slightly inside back to slightly inside. Then apply speed.

You can do all the things you think you've missed out on, my friend. Just stop letting the days go by.

Maybe think about getting separated, honestly. If you feel like you're tied down and unable to live the way you want to, untie yourself. If you're happy with the wife obviously stay with her. I do hope that is the case.

Life is what you make it.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Oh yea Dub to echo what Sux typed, you can shoot par. Sure it may not be for 18 holes but I guarantee you can do it at some point. Hell I suck at golf a lot of times & have managed to shoot par at my home course once & have also had numerous rds of 2-3 over.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Jake, Greece is right now at the top of our "mustsee" list. One of my wifes cousins is living there right now for 2 years & we have an open invitation to stay & visit as long as we want.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Oh yea Dub to echo what Sux typed, you can shoot par. Sure it may not be for 18 holes but I guarantee you can do it at some point. Hell I suck at golf a lot of times & have managed to shoot par at my home course once & have also had numerous rds of 2-3 over.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Jake, Greece is right now at the top of our "mustsee" list. One of my wifes cousins is living there right now for 2 years & we have an open invitation to stay & visit as long as we want.

Get over there ASAP. Honestly, the food blew away even Italian for me. Ma & Pa type places, look for locals, etc. Very friendly people too. Athens was a little busy for me, but out of the city we saw some cool stuff and had some good food. I'd go back, and will go back, in a heartbeat.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I know it sounds weird to go to a country where you don't speak the language, but you might be loosing more than you are winning by keeping it that simple. I've been to a lot of places, some of the strangest ones in the world (like Sudan for example), and I have never had a problem on getting people understand what I'm trying to say. I'm not a native English speaker, but I have used it in most places having great results (except for France, where its easier to go around speaking any language but English).

Why not think in Central-South America? Most of the Caribbean is extremely tourist friendly, specially English speaking friendly. You could get to a place like Cartagena, Colombia, or Punta Cana in Dominican Republic, Cozumel in Mexico, etc. Golf courses all around, sand, beaches bikini, and the gorgeous lovely bodies only Latin women can provide :D

You're more adventurous than that? How about Machu-Pichu in Peru? The Colombian Amazon? Argentinan Patagonia?

Think about it. With the exchange rate of the U.S. in the rest of the Americas' countries, you could have a wonderful get away with a week income and have no regret about it, I promise :D

+1 on this. Speaking the local language is not a barrier for the enthusiastic tourist. Kindness, wiilness to learn, and a smile will suffice as universal communication.

My Daughter took trip to Machu Pichu and came back impressed. I would like to think the WHOLE WORLD is within reach. Life is too short to spend solely in the backyard.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
We spent most of our time in Italy about an hr north of Venice & it's definitely not a tourist area so not much English is spoken. But we survived just fine, used the basics I learned of Italian to do a little speaking as well as reading menu's.

The language barrier was really a non issue.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.