• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Might as well have a COVID-19 thread

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
Just leave the politics out of it, please.

I will be getting sent home any day now. Luckily for me, I am able to work from home.

Nike (my wife's employer) closed everything. All the retail stores, headquarters, all of it. Sounds awful, but:
Nike will continue paying their employees throughout the closure.
They are donating a total of $24 million to various agencies fighting the pandemic.

No PLAYERS, no Masters, no PGA Championship... I may not get to send any coffee cups out this season. :(

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I'm kinda in the same boat. Very unclear how this all pans out. I guess we write off the next three months.

Mrs. IG has almost gone into OCD meltdown. The kids are off school. Self-isolating, except for the monster, me! But we have to earn a living, right!?

On the golf side, I played last weekend and we have a tee-time for this Saturday, but it now looks at risk. I had a trip planned for our junior golfers over Easter. Lots of time and effort into setting it all up. Kids were all super-excited and motivated. And bam! All finished!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I have a Bali holiday booked for July, which is now at risk. Otherwise I’m glad my local golf course and practice facility is still open.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Oregon governor shut all the schools down until at least April 28th.

shining-a-couple-of-weeks-of-isolation-with-the-family-what-can-go-wrong-jack-nicholson.jpg

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
We are on lockdown as well, schools closed here starting Tuesday. My wife and I already work from home so that is business as usual. My employer had the company go full WFH last Wednesday and my wife's employer did the same yesterday. This thing is nuts, but quarantine seems liek the right play. San Fran on lockdown, NV followed suit last night and rumor has it NY is next. Interesting times we find ourselves in.

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
My wide and I already work from home so that is business as usual.
I would highly recommend you edit this before your wife happens on to it!! :>)

Board of Directors meeting last night re where our course would go re COVID-19. Began performing a much more stringent area disinfection protocol last week. Other courses in our area were consulted. We understand anything can change in hours. Have the entire Board on notice we may need an emergency meeting should things worsen in our area. In the meantime....

All cups raised 1 to 1 1/2" above the surface of the green. This eliminates anyone having to remove the flagstick and have a chance of cross-contamination. If your ball hits the raised cup, consider the putt made. Played this morning. Amazing how many putts you can miss just trying to hit that raised cup!!

All rakes removed from traps. All ball washers removed from the course. Again, cross-contamination potential.

We have a sliding window close to our snack bar. Beginning tomorrow morning, no traffic will be allowed in the clubhouse. Check in, pay green fees, get food & beverage, etc. through the window. The door that leads to the restrooms will be kept open. All other access will be blocked.

Running e-mail blasts, etc. trying to get folks to pay green fees on line before coming to the course.

Scheduled tournaments either postponed or cancelled.

We are trying to keep the course open. Have approximately a $35,000 cost each month, whether open or closed. Salaries, utilities, fleet leases, taxes, insurance, etc. Have some reserve funds, but those will be eaten up quickly should we have to close. More and more area courses closing, daily. Most all city owned course in the area have been forced to close. We are member owned and can make our own decisions, except if the local or state comes in and requires we shut down.

Interesting time....

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I would highly recommend you edit this before your wife happens on to it!! :>)

Board of Directors meeting last night re where our course would go re COVID-19. Began performing a much more stringent area disinfection protocol last week. Other courses in our area were consulted. We understand anything can change in hours. Have the entire Board on notice we may need an emergency meeting should things worsen in our area. In the meantime....

All cups raised 1 to 1 1/2" above the surface of the green. This eliminates anyone having to remove the flagstick and have a chance of cross-contamination. If your ball hits the raised cup, consider the putt made. Played this morning. Amazing how many putts you can miss just trying to hit that raised cup!!

All rakes removed from traps. All ball washers removed from the course. Again, cross-contamination potential.

We have a sliding window close to our snack bar. Beginning tomorrow morning, no traffic will be allowed in the clubhouse. Check in, pay green fees, get food & beverage, etc. through the window. The door that leads to the restrooms will be kept open. All other access will be blocked.

Running e-mail blasts, etc. trying to get folks to pay green fees on line before coming to the course.

We are trying to keep the course open. Have approximately a $35,000 cost each month, whether open or closed. Salaries, utilities, fleet leases, taxes, insurance, etc. Have some reserve funds, but those will be eaten up quickly should we have to close. More and more area courses closing, daily. Most all city owned course in the area have been forced to close. We are member owned and can make our own decisions, except if the local or state comes in and requires we shut down.

Interesting time....
Thank you for the heads up! Sounds like your course is taking the proper measures.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Working in the mortgage biz I find myself getting a lot of questions I can’t answer. What are rates gonna do? How long will it take to get my loan done? There is so much up in the air I’ve extended timeframes 3-4 weeks. Most town offices closed making it hard to get title stuff done. And the answer to most questions is “I have no idea, don’t even dare guess!”

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I'm in real estate, so basically self employed. Things are grinding to a halt. I have 3 closings coming up shortly that will take care of cash flow for a while. But, I have listings that are now on hold indefinitely and new prospects are hard to find.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
San Fran on lockdown,

Ironically, I wonder how the plethora of homeless people can be locked down. No toilet paper shortage applicable.

Interesting time....

Interesting indeed, Limp. My course has introduced new measures; e.g cashless pay, flags stay in holes and clubhouse doors stay open so no handling necessary. But yours is another level on that.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Interesting indeed, Limp. My course has introduced new measures; e.g cashless pay, flags stay in holes and clubhouse doors stay open so no handling necessary. But yours is another level on that.
A number of course in the State have been Tweeting their protocol. One isn't putting cups in the greens. They put a flag on the green and you treat it like a "temporary" green... on the green, pick up the ball and count it as a two putt.
Our clubhouse was locked this morning. All transactions done via the sliding window.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I'm getting tired of the "At so and so business, we value our customers and staff. In this time of turmoil..." emails. It's like there's a template out there that all the businesses are copying.

Absolutely! Covid spam. Businesses lining up to out-virtue signal each other with their emails. The dopes don’t realise that they just annoy people.

🔥 Latest posts