• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mike Weir......choke, or outplayed?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I dunno.

I feel as though he played well (after seeing Sunday's highlights and watching most of Friday and Saturday's rounds), but he really didn't shoot the lights out on Sunday. Vijay bettered him by 3 strokes, which isn't alot. But he has that knack of sticking around and playing consistent, terrific golf.

I dunno. Sometimes, Weir looks unreal. And other times he seems to really suffer from mental breakdowns. I love the guy as a Canadian and a golfer, but i think he still needs a few of these types of situations to really make him a toughened golfer.

And Vijay. Unreal. $810,000USD for first, just under $500,000 less than Tiger's season earnings record with 5 tournaments to play. This guy is the real deal, and looks like he will be for a while with the type of game that he plays.

I used to hate Vijay, but i was guilty of using the american press as my passport to who he really is. I feel bad for him, because of that. I've really changed my views after seeing many interviews with him on UK broadcasts and more recent interviews with a more candid approach to him as an individual, and not as an attack on his approach to the game. He speaks his own mind, and has a great head for golf on his shoulders. He's a traditionalist and hard on himself. Critisism of his own game is his only vice and his greatest asset. He truly is a great player.

Choke or outplayed, the better player one today. It's as simple as that.

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Veegh is definitely misunderstood.

And apparently long after the players have left the range to go in for a beer - Singh is still out there hitting balls. Makes it hard for anyone to get to know him well...

In any event, he has had a phenomenal season.

I know that during WWII, Sam Snead won a bunch of tournaments in one year - 11 I think.

What is the post-war record??

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
rockford35 said:
I dunno.

I feel as though he played well (after seeing Sunday's highlights and watching most of Friday and Saturday's rounds), but he really didn't shoot the lights out on Sunday. Vijay bettered him by 3 strokes, which isn't alot. But he has that knack of sticking around and playing consistent, terrific golf.

I dunno. Sometimes, Weir looks unreal. And other times he seems to really suffer from mental breakdowns. I love the guy as a Canadian and a golfer, but i think he still needs a few of these types of situations to really make him a toughened golfer.

And Vijay. Unreal. $810,000USD for first, just under $500,000 less than Tiger's season earnings record with 5 tournaments to play. This guy is the real deal, and looks like he will be for a while with the type of game that he plays.

I used to hate Vijay, but i was guilty of using the american press as my passport to who he really is. I feel bad for him, because of that. I've really changed my views after seeing many interviews with him on UK broadcasts and more recent interviews with a more candid approach to him as an individual, and not as an attack on his approach to the game. He speaks his own mind, and has a great head for golf on his shoulders. He's a traditionalist and hard on himself. Critisism of his own game is his only vice and his greatest asset. He truly is a great player.

Choke or outplayed, the better player one today. It's as simple as that.

R35

I don't mean to be critical of Wier but it seems he really let the pressure get to get him. I can't imagine what it would be like having an entire country pinning it's hopes on you. 50 years without a Canadian winner is a long time. In any case, both Weir and Vijay played very well but you could sense it was over after that missed put for par on the second playoff hole. I think what Weir could use right now is a little short term memory loss. :)

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Agreed.

I saw the highlights once again, i would have to say that he played well during the 18, and then choked in extra holes.

I think the post war record is 10 by Nicklaus, followed by 9 from both Tiger a couple years ago and Johnny Miller in '74. I think there's a list on the golf channel website, as they've been showing it from time to time after Vijay's victory to bring him into that group.

R35

grazo

slacker hacker
Aug 31, 2004
rockford35 said:
I dunno.

R35

I think Vijay is a legend and an inspiration to a hacker like me. Vijay is number 1 in the world right now because he puts in more work than anyone else out there. It shows that hard work does pay off, and that we can reach our goals through hard work, be they breaking 100/90/80 or being number 1 in the world.

I have a theory when it comes to high achievers. There are 3 kinds:

The ones that are just naturally gifted. Someone like Tom Weiskopf: had one of the most natural swings going around. Apparently was shooting in the 70s only 3 months after taking up the game. Now that's talent!

The ones that work harder than anyone else. I include Vijay in this category. Doesn't have all the shots or the prettiest swing but gets the job done because he's out there longer than anyone else.

The ones that are naturally gifted and work harder than anyone else. Tiger is in this category but I'm not sure that he's working as hard as he used to. A perfect example of this category would be Michael Jordan or Michael Schumacher; both supremely gifted, both realise their talents, and both have/had the hunger to always go for more. This category is where the legends of sport reside.

Members online

No members online now.