• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Milled putters

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
My "boutique" putter experience is well documented also. I am still playing my Slighter Bellevue and I will be adding another to the mix once the new baby is born. I'll get his/her name and DOB stamped on it like I did for the first one.

I am thinking Byron for baby #2.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
For what it is worth, I am using mizuno bettinardi c-01, and it is a very nice feeling putter. Although never gaming a scotty, or any other precision milled putter (other than the one that I made of course :laugh:) I have putted with some of them in stores, and find it to be just as good (not really a fair comparison though).

skim milled or not, its staying in the bag......

for now

I just picked up a C02 and love it. Tried a Scotty before but never got the hang of it. Personally for the price of a Scotty its not gonna sink more putts. People are just drawn to the name, Ive seen some serious hackers gaming Scotty and 3 putt just about every hole.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
I just picked up a C02 and love it. Tried a Scotty before but never got the hang of it. Personally for the price of a Scotty its not gonna sink more putts. People are just drawn to the name, Ive seen some serious hackers gaming Scotty and 3 putt just about every hole.

I actually liked the look of the C-03 in the store better (no #2 in 34") just I putted much better with the long neck, so I ended up getting that one.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I ordered a Lux Milled putter. What are the differences, if any, between milled and non-milled putters?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
My "boutique" putter experience is well documented also. I am still playing my Slighter Bellevue and I will be adding another to the mix once the new baby is born. I'll get his/her name and DOB stamped on it like I did for the first one.

I am thinking Byron for baby #2.
Annika????

OP
wirehair

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I ordered a Lux Milled putter. What are the differences, if any, between milled and non-milled putters?

I've never seen a Lux putter before, they look very nice. Thanks for bringing them up into my radar.

To answer your question, a milled putter is carved from a block of rolled steel, a cast putter is made by pouring molten metal into a mold. Here's a post with some in-process pics of Palombi's milling process.
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/17672-new-putter-palombi-2.html#post202039

There's lots of arguments about whether milling is a superior manufacturing process, it really comes down to whether you think the "juice is worth the squeeze".

Most of the big guys sell a milled putter (ping Redwood, Odyssey black, etc), but they're manufactured in a big facility with 1000's of identical putters coming off the line each day. I'm not trying to slam them, or the cast putters. I just appreciate the special attention that these smaller guys give to their putters when they make them.:)

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Sorry, I've still got 8 nice Scotties still hanging on the wall, a couple of pre-Titleist classics (one a Tour) as well some original gun blues & a couple of oilcans. All the cheap OTR's (except the uber-ugly detour which doesn't count) are long gone - no studio styles, pro-plats, or stuff like that. I can still fix you up with a nice Scotty if you're interested.:)

Thanks wirehair , but I'm good for now. I due keep an eye open when you have a ad up though. :)

OP
wirehair

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Thanks wirehair , but I'm good for now. I due keep an eye open when you have a ad up though. :)

Lee, you've got a couple :scotty:already don't you?

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I've never seen a Lux putter before, they look very nice. Thanks for bringing them up into my radar.

To answer your question, a milled putter is carved from a block of rolled steel, a cast putter is made by pouring molten metal into a mold. Here's a post with some in-process pics of Palombi's milling process.
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/17672-new-putter-palombi-2.html#post202039

There's lots of arguments about whether milling is a superior manufacturing process, it really comes down to whether you think the "juice is worth the squeeze".

Most of the big guys sell a milled putter (ping Redwood, Odyssey black, etc), but they're manufactured in a big facility with 1000's of identical putters coming off the line each day. I'm not trying to slam them, or the cast putters. I just appreciate the special attention that these smaller guys give to their putters when they make them.:)

Lux is a good option for me, I wanted something custom, but didn't want to spend a ton. I was going to buy a Scotty and send it to the custom shop, but it'd be a little more expensive and take a little longer. I'm still not ruling that out of the equation though. It took me so long to figure out what finish, paintfill, loft, lie, etc. I wanted, I know that I'm going to develop a collection soon.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Lee, you've got a couple :scotty:already don't you?

Yes I do, I haven't bought any wall hangers because the wife won't let me have a rack to hang them on the wall..lol..She doen't see the beauty of putters hanging on the wall.

🔥 Latest posts