• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mini Buds

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
My father in law brews his own...usually an amber. Pretty good stuff.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
All right, I'll play this game again. :D Like VT, I am more into wine than beer for the last few years, but I still like to have a cold brew every now and again.

Best all around beer:

Boddington's English Pub Ale (England) Hands down my favorite beer. It has the best of everything I look for in a beer.

Best hot day beer:

Brahma (Brazil) This stuff makes Corona and all the Corona wana be's taste like piss. Smooth, refreshing, with a slight citrusy taste. Great by the pool. The bottle fits perfectly in your hand. Pick one up and see what I mean.

Best cold day beer:

Guiness Draught (Ireland) Its like eating a sandwhich and having a beer all at the same time. Even better in a black and tan or a Bumble Bee (50/50 with Boddingtons). Brilliant!

Best mass produced beer in the US:

Sam Adams Boston Lager (USA) You can find it almost anywhere in the US and is one of my favorites if the rest of the beer selection are limited to mass produced US beers.

Best Light Beer:

Budweiser Select (USA) Used to be Sammy Light for me, but the Select really does something for me. A nice crisp taste without the lingering after taste of a straight Budweiser. Had my first one a few weeks ago and have been craving one since I ran out. Amazingly good taste for a light/lower carb beer.

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I'm rather fond of Smithwick's..

I used to chuckle when the Americans a playing our club used to come into the bar and ask for Smithwicks. The 'w' isn't pronounced - it is just "Smith-icks."

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
All right, I'll play this game again. :D Like VT, I am more into wine than beer for the last few years, but I still like to have a cold brew every now and again.

Best all around beer:

Boddington's English Pub Ale (England) Hands down my favorite beer. It has the best of everything I look for in a beer.

Best hot day beer:

Brahma (Brazil) This stuff makes Corona and all the Corona wana be's taste like piss. Smooth, refreshing, with a slight citrusy taste. Great by the pool. The bottle fits perfectly in your hand. Pick one up and see what I mean.

Best cold day beer:

Guiness Draught (Ireland) Its like eating a sandwhich and having a beer all at the same time. Even better in a black and tan or a Bumble Bee (50/50 with Boddingtons). Brilliant!

Best mass produced beer in the US:

Sam Adams Boston Lager (USA) You can find it almost anywhere in the US and is one of my favorites if the rest of the beer selection are limited to mass produced US beers.

Best Light Beer:

Budweiser Select (USA) Used to be Sammy Light for me, but the Select really does something for me. A nice crisp taste without the lingering after taste of a straight Budweiser. Had my first one a few weeks ago and have been craving one since I ran out. Amazingly good taste for a light/lower carb beer.

Haha, I like it, Tim lad. Good to see someone so fond of their beer :)

Boddingtons ain't bad. Used to have the occasional pint when I lived in England. I lived in the north west and since it is brewed in Manchester it was popular round the parts I lived in. Wouldn't be at all popular here in NI, though.
It used have well renowned adverts featuring Melanie Sykes.. Even tastier than the drink, she is..:) :)

Brahma - liking the sound of that.

Guiness - Am liking the 50/50 scenario there. Have never heard of that before, although zilch folk round here would drink Bod. That interests me, however. Not a big Guiness fan, but would take the odd pint when it is flowing and lots of others are drinking it. Would be sceptical of having a fair few as have never been truely p***ed on it before :)

Sam Adams - Had a pint of this in an Irish bar in New York - where I was made to feel very unwelcome in, btw - and didn't like it. It was more like an ale with a fairly ropey aftertaste.

Budweiser Select - Am severely wanting to road-test this. Is it just a US thing ?? I don't seem to see where you find there to be an aftertaste with regular Bud, though..:confused:

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
hmmm, let's see, in no particular order:

St. Peter's English Ale
Harpoon IPA
Harpoon Winter Warmer
Yuengling
Becks Dark
Guiness
Schneider Weisse Weizenhell

Also any Hefeweizen in general...

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
I used to chuckle when the Americans a playing our club used to come into the bar and ask for Smithwicks. The 'w' isn't pronounced - it is just "Smith-icks."

And yet, I had an aquaintance in college who was Irish, and called in "Smiddicks." So, that's what I called it. Whenever I go somewhere and order it, I usually order it as "Smiddicks," and always get a screwed up face in response.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Sheeiitt!

Yuengling is hitting the top of the charts!

FFFFFFFFFFFFF this, my key board tray just broke.

See you guys later. :laugh:

This week pretty much sucked, what a way to end the week.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005

I learned on my trip to Scotland that the Budweiser there is very different from the Budweiser here. Much better.

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Just moving to Orlando, and living 2 mins from the Orlando Ale House has made me some new favorites.

No particular order:

Yuengling
New Castle Brown Ale
Stella
Sam Adams

Kind of a change from the whole Milwalkues beast, mixed with some natty light, and a hint of keystone light diet i was on in highschool. Drinking beer to enjoy it, is a whole different world.

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I learned on my trip to Scotland that the Budweiser there is very different from the Budweiser here. Much better.

Yeah ? That is interesting. I love my Bud on draft these days. In fact, I think I might have a mini Bud or two shortly. I bought a case of 20 the other day there :)

You guys really ought to try out Czech beers. There was some sort of survey or test done some time ago of the top beers in the world. There were 4 beers originating from the Czech Republic. When I went I was drinking Staraprauhim (spelt incorrectly) and Budvar (the original Budwesier), mostly. Was typically 60p a bottle...and this was in the more 'touristy' areas, too.
Also tried one in the Bier Halle in Glasgow (which is class, by the way); the name of particular brand currently escapes me. If you can, though, try and get a sample of these beers. Real clean & sharp taste with distinctive flavours. Nice..:)

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
New Castle Brown Ale /
Stella

Am not a fan of Newcastle Brown Ale, or "Newcy Brown" as some would call it. Haven't tried it in years, but can remember hating it. Would give it another go, though :)

Stella is "the" beer :D Used to drink a lot of this at university. 8 or 9 pints of those and you know about it...as does everyone around you as you continue to pester them by shouting and roaring !! :eek: :laugh: Has much more of an aftertaste than the likes of Bud, which has a refreshing and crisper taste. Stella is the ultimate "lets get hammered on the beers" drink..:D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The Czech beers are good.

Staropramen
And one of my favorite beers - Pilsner Urquell

Also try Okocim, which is a very good Polish beer. Less hoppy, and a bit smoother and lighter, but still very tasty.

According to Wikipedia, the Czechs were brewing beer in the 13th centuries in the cities of Pilsen and Budweis, and today have the highest per capita consumption of beer in the world.

I think the Budweiser I had in Scotland was a draft beer made in Czechoslovakia.

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Pilsner Urquell

Ahhh, how could I have left it out ?! I spent an eternity trying to track some of this down after I returned from a visit to Prague a couple of years ago !!

I think the Budweiser I had in Scotland was a draft beer made in Czechoslovakia.

Would it have been the Budvar, dude ??

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Pilsner Urquell

Ahhh, how could I have left it out ?! I spent an eternity trying to track some of this down after I returned from a visit to Prague a couple of years ago !!

Would it have been the Budvar, dude ??

After a few of those, and a few ice-cold Guiness? Who the hell knows...!

🔥 Latest posts