• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mixing Shaft Stiffness

WSC

Jan 15, 2013
Country
United States United States
I have switched my irons to regular graphite.....I have a new set of TM BLZ fairway and hybrids with stiff graphite....I don't see that as a problem...anyone with similiar experience or opinions? Thanks

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
I had back surgery in Nov of '11. . .last year, consequently I switched to R flex in everything except my wedges and hybrids. The hybrids have no flight! Its like they're being shot out of a cannon. All of my other clubs, I get a nice high trajectory, which I've been missing for a few years now. So, I just pulled the S flex shafts out of the hybrids and reshafted with oem pullouts that are R flex. The problem is now, its still a bit cold for my back, I've not hit balls with the new hybrid shafts yet.

That doesn't really answer your question. But it may give a different outlook. Have you hit balls yet? Have you compared the R's to the S's you still have?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I play X flex in my D, 3W and Hybrid but the rest of my clubs are a S flex. It's just personal preference though. I feel like I have more control with the X in a driver but I don't like the way a X steel shaft feels in an iron.

Mathwizard

Aug 5, 2007
I play a Fuji Motore Speeder in stiff flex in my Titliest 910 D2 driver and 910F 3 wood. I also play CFS stiff shafts hard stepped once in my Ping i20 irons. However, I have regular flex shafts in my Adams a4OS hybrids. Works for me. Best of luck.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
As age has taken its toll, I have gradually transitioned to "R" flex shafts. My irons, however, have been in the bag for a number of years and still have the "S" flex shafts. So, I do have a "mixed bag". I still believe today's shaft technology isn't so much "S" vs "R". It has to do with torque, spin, and how the dynamics of a specific player's swing loads the shaft.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I have switched my irons to regular graphite.....I have a new set of TM BLZ fairway and hybrids with stiff graphite....I don't see that as a problem...anyone with similiar experience or opinions? Thanks
Bear in mind that there is no industry standard for shaft flex.....plus you need to remember that shafts all have different profiles.. (i.e. stiff/soft tip, low/hi torque...etc). Plus, factory shafts are very not often the same as the intended after-market shafts.
So since you are looking at a substantial investment to re-shaft the clubs, I really recommend you go to a club fitter who can see your swing, and make recommendations......it will be WELL worth your investment.

LTCMARCPAUL

More demanding player's clubs / better golfer!
Jun 24, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
Country
I switched the shafts in my Callaway Prototype Tour Authentic irons from PX 6.0 Flighted to PXi 7.0's. They feel as soft as PX 5.5's, lighter, and straighter than the 6.0's. I'm thrilled! The PXi 7.0's are hard to find and expensive if you do but I think even the PXi 6.5's might feel too soft even though I'm sure they're accurate and faster. Just saying.

🔥 Latest posts