• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mizuno Custom Fitting

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
As has been noted, have the lies checked by your fitter when they come in. NBD.

I just picked up a new set of 60s on e-Bay from a guy in Wyoming, and had all the lies bent to +1*. They all checked out on delivery.

It's a sweet set. ;)

CP, why the 67s over the 60s? Just curious.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Cypress

I love mizuno irons. They are among the best feeling irons ever made. They just have terrible quality control. I would use their irons in a heartbeat however.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I currently play 1* upright pings. Towards the end of last year that still held true as my proper lie. Checking the Ping and Mizuno Websites, I see the Mizuno's stock sets are about 3/4* to 1* upright compared to the stock Pings. My understanding is that you can bend these roughly 2* either way. Is it safe to assume that if I am ever fortunate enough to locate a stock set at a great price that it would likely be no problem matching these up? Assuming I can find the Shaft I like, do my own grips, and check that they have not been previously altered.

Seems I would likely only need to alter them 1/2* at the most, give or take.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
The mizzy's can be bent about 4* in any direction with out any worry.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
Farquod, I demoed MP-32, MP-60,

and MP-67 six-irons at a driving range. I put the clubs in a position where I could not tell which club was which. I hit many, many shots and was watching for stuff like sweetness of contact, line, accuracy, the general "feel" of the club, carry distance, etc. I was swinging well that session though probably less consistently than Iron Byron. I hit good shots with all three clubs. The average shot with each club was close to the same as the average shot with others. It was, indeed, difficult to determine which was "better" in MY hands. When I was hitting eight or nine shots with each club before switching, it was difficult to remember all the shots for comparison. I finally started hitting one shot with a club then switched to another club for another shot then made another switch. Each set of three hits was a contest, and it turned out the MP-67 was the first club to win ten contests. The other two had won six each. By that time, I was so confused as which was the best that I decided to consider this contest thing as scientific PROOF that the MP-67's were best for me. I chose not to go another round out of fear that the results might have proven different thus creating doubt.

Afterwards, I also came up with the reasoning that the people at Mizzuno probably thought that the MP-67 was an advancement of some sort over earlier models. Otherwise, why come out with it?

I was trying to see if I could detect the forgiveness that you would expect in the perimeter weighted MP-60 irons. I would like to be able to write that my swing was ON to the degree that there were no missed shots involved. Had that been the case, I would have chosen the MP-60's with the idea being that if I had miss hit a shot, the forgiveness was so miraculous that I had not known there were any miss hit shots. I did hit misses with all the clubs, and I could not tell if there was more forgiveness in one club compared to the others. (I can say that the miss hit shots were not that badly hit. Had I hit some really bad ones, perhaps the MP-60's would have helped more.)

Lyle, thanks for the clarification. Still, there are posters who do seem to be so proud of their sticks that they enjoy occasionally sticking it to those who use a different brand. Probably nothing at all wrong with that so long as we stay within the limits of good taste as Bevis and Butthead might say.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Thanks, CP.

I have played Mac 1025 Ms for the past 3 years, and I went through a very similar process as you just described in choosing those muscle backs versus the Mac cavity backs (1025Cs) and the Titleist 690 CBs. I was also having a very good ballstriking day that day, which led me to choose the Ms (my test was accuracy with a 5i to a hump out at ~175yd). I have been happy with my choice, although I have noticed a pretty tangible loss in distance on those days when my ballstriking is not quite so stellar. The difference 1/2" (off center) makes in distance is amazing.

It's interesting, in that we considered the same 3 offerings from Mizuno. I tested them differently this time, though, as I hit all 3 on separate occasions. I did that purposely so that I would not make a direct comparison on any given day. In the end, the 60s look more forgiving, and I went with them precisely in anticipation of those days when my ballstriking was a bit off. I hit them all about the same when my swing was on, and to me, they all felt great.

And feel is key for me; it was the one aspect at which the Macs excelled. A pure on those babies felt like there was no ball in the way of my swing. A pure shot of opioid up the arms and straight to the pleasure centers of the brain.

For looks, I really favor the 67s, and I know you'll have a lot of great rounds with them. For me, the 60s just look like a more forgiving club (whether or not they are), and as you know, confidence is another key ingredient in this game.

Cheers, & good luck with the sticks.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Apparently a set of Mizuno irons goes through an average of 144 pairs of hands during the manufacturing process, that is why I thought it might be strange that they might not be completely true to spec...

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
FYI, 3 costs that I was told yesterday by the guy I went to regarding the pricing on the MP60's were as follows on the Upgrades. Not sure if that is high or low, seemed a little high to me but I am going to check around, although I think I would likely better trust this guy doing my clubs as opposed to saving a few bucks anywhere else depending on the difference. It may be the same for every authorized Mizuno Fitter???

Nippon 950 Shaft - $12.50 extra per club
Flighted Rifles - $17.50 extra per club
Golf Pride Full Cord Midsized Tour Wrap - $5 extra per club

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I didn't know diff. grips were a fundable upgrade.

I remember Flighted Rifle upgrade being £6 ($11) cost price. I don't see why a stockist / Pro should charge more than that to the customer as he ain't doing anything to warrent making any money in my mind.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Just as a means for comparison, PA, I picked my 60s up a couple of weeks back on e-bay from an authorized dealer/fitter in Wyoming (I'm in NJ). New set, precision rifle 5.5's, standard tour velvet grips. Bent to 1* upright. Cost me ~$725, with shipping and no tax.

By your figs, the price should have been ~$1000.

Now, I've been fitted before, and build clubs for fun, so I'm pretty comfortable with my specs, and with the added 3i that I practice with but will never take to the course. However, the extra $$ you'll pay the fitter is money well spent.

Plus, he should do minor follow-up adjustments for gratis after you get the set.

Good luck with them! I'm actually gonna take mine out in the next week or so--maybe even tomorrow(!)--if the weather holds.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I have played Mac 1025 Ms for the past 3 years, and I went through a very similar process as you just described in choosing those muscle backs versus the Mac cavity backs (1025Cs) and the Titleist 690 CBs. I was also having a very good ballstriking day that day, which led me to choose the Ms (my test was accuracy with a 5i to a hump out at ~175yd). I have been happy with my choice, although I have noticed a pretty tangible loss in distance on those days when my ballstriking is not quite so stellar. The difference 1/2" (off center) makes in distance is amazing.

It's interesting, in that we considered the same 3 offerings from Mizuno. I tested them differently this time, though, as I hit all 3 on separate occasions. I did that purposely so that I would not make a direct comparison on any given day. In the end, the 60s look more forgiving, and I went with them precisely in anticipation of those days when my ballstriking was a bit off. I hit them all about the same when my swing was on, and to me, they all felt great.

And feel is key for me; it was the one aspect at which the Macs excelled. A pure on those babies felt like there was no ball in the way of my swing. A pure shot of opioid up the arms and straight to the pleasure centers of the brain.

For looks, I really favor the 67s, and I know you'll have a lot of great rounds with them. For me, the 60s just look like a more forgiving club (whether or not they are), and as you know, confidence is another key ingredient in this game.

Cheers, & good luck with the sticks.

Ummmmmm, this sound like anyone I know?

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
and you the 60's after me. Now switch to a Yes putter already ;)

Never Compromise, baby. :thumbs up:

2522d1163986862-mallet-blade-voodoo-dad.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.