• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mizuno F-50 4-wood

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I recently bought a Mizuno F-50 4-wood from our friends at Global Golf. I bought it to see if I could find a 4-wood that was a little longer than my Callaway X w/uniflex steel shaft, but still as straight. The Mizuno has a stock Exsar stiff shaft. Why did I pick a stiff shaft, when my driver is regular-flex, and my irons are regular-flex? Same reason I have stiff Nippons in my hybrids. The Nippons play soft to stated flex, and I heard the same thing about the Exsar shaft.

I've now played two rounds with the F-50, and I've hit it enough times that I can make some early observations.

The club has a simple, understated look. Black crown, with the composite weave barely showing through. No alignment mark on the head, which I like.

I like this club a lot. Great solid feel from the composite/steel combo head. Nothing mushy about the hit, yet there is no sense of harshness at all. Just solid power through the ball. Of course, mis-hit harshness is covered up by the composite head, but the forgiveness is there, so it doesn't matter all that much. Bottom line - if you can make a decent swing, you will get good results. I will say this - it's a lightweight shaft (71g, I believe), and combined with the lighter composite head, might not work for those who like a heavier FW club.

The stock stiff shaft feels very responsive, and has a nice smooth kick through the ball. I can feel the head throughout the swing, and there's no hint of boardiness. I think the stiff-flex is right for my swing speed. Other reviewers I've read report that they are very happy with this shaft, and I am in the same camp. I don't feel the need to change it.

Ball flight is interesting. I have never hit a club that draws the ball the way this club draws the ball. I don't play a draw. I have a hard time playing a draw when I need to. Yet nearly every shot, from the tee or from the fairway, was a gentle draw. The ball starts out straight, on a medium-high trajectory (what I would call a perfect 4-wood trajectory) then slowly draws 5-10 yards before landing. Very strange. Nothing even remotely resembling a fade ever resulted from any shots. The only miss was a high pull when I overswung the club. I wish I could morph this thing into a driver. I would take a consistent, automatic draw like that every day. Distance is good. Better than the Callaway, but not by much. It does what I want a 4-wood to do with my swing.

This club is staying in my bag for now. It is as reliable from the tee box as my Callaway X was, with maybe a touch more distance. It is better from the fairway. For some reason I had a hard time getting a good trajectory from the fairway with the X. The F-50 hits the same from the tee, or the fairway.

I don't know what this club would do in the hands of someone who naturally draws the ball. I don't know if changing the shaft would change the ballflight. I do know that the F-50 is a fine performer, and I'm very happy that WildcatGolfer17 reviewed it earlier and led me to it. Mizunos newer FW wood is the F-60, which has a titanium crown instead of the composite crown of the F-50. Probably a bit hotter and crisper feeling. I'm happy with the F-50, although I'll probably end up ho'ing an F-60 when they come out with the F-70...;)
Mizuno F50.jpg

🔥 Latest posts