• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mizuno MP 57 or 52?

rayfaylor007

May 17, 2009
Hello. I am new to this site, and have posted a swing problem I am having on the shot talk thread. That is another matter all together...

I have played DCI 962's with 6.0 rifles for almost ten years. When I am on, they are buttery and I have never been more confident with a club during a good round. However, they are really starting to show their age and it is about that time to upgrade. I should mention that I am a 12 handicap. Yes, the DCI is probably not the right club for me to begin with, but I LOVED the way they looked at address and the rifles added about 20 yards per club when I bought them. I hit my 6 iron 180, 7 170, etc.

I recently found a set of used MP 57's (mizuno has always been the only other brand I liked the looks of, but until now they have been to much of a "players" club for my game) and hit them. Then I went to a demo day and the Mizuno rep put the MP 52 in my hands. I felt that they were incredibly close to the feel/launch/distance I get now, but a little more forgiving. The rep indicated that I probably need a 2* up, 1/2" long set (as he watched me hit about a bucket with the 52's). I am 6'1" and have an "upright" swing.

I am just curious to all of you out there that care to comment...which set should I go with if I want a similar feel to the DCI's, but a little more forgiveness? I intend to purchase Rifle shafts again, and have been reading comments on here about flighted vs. project x vs. standard. I have 6.0 now. Thoughts on shafts and clubs would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ray

buykrux

May 15, 2009
i owned a set of 57's last year with s300s, s300s are the only shafts i use. i had PX but pulled them, i couldnt stand the buggers, they made the ball go way to high
anyways, my old irons were cleveland ta2s and titleist 731pms
these mp57s were 2 full clubs shorter than my old irons distance wise, they seemed to just die in the air and have nothing behind them
i hit them again 3 weeks ago and the 32s aswell and found the same problem
i would steer you towards cobra pro cbs or titleist ap2s/zb depending on your consistancy, the cobras are GREAT feeling irons with the right shafts and you can literally place the ball where you want it and i found to be as forgiving if not more than the 57s
personally i wouldnt ever buy any mizuno irons anymore due to my experiences

OP
R

rayfaylor007

May 17, 2009
That is a very interesting take. One I did not expect. I appreciate your honesty.

I have not yet sought out the King Cobra irons. I might have to try them. I have hit Callaway X Forged, Callaway X22 Tour, Mizuno MP 57/52, Ping Rapture, Ping G10, TaylorMade BurnerTour, and Cleveland Reds (cant remember their brand designation). I have yet to hit the AP2...but my club pro recommended them as a solid replacement to the 962. I have some work yet ahead of me before pulling the trigger, but am looking for more feedback on the Mizuno. I have heard from so many people that Mizuno should not be overlooked in my quest to replace what argueably isn't broken.

Thanks again.

Ray

buykrux

May 15, 2009
cobra wasnt my first pick either
i was in a bind, i lost my clubs in a fire and needed a set for the weekend and being a lefty i was limited to what was on the shelf
i knew i didnt like PX so i went with mizunos mp57s with s300s, after the weekend i traded them from ap2s wiht PX and had a real hard time hitting them, like really hard time, i hit the 690s better than the ap2s which didnt make to much sense so i traded those for cobras after seeing them on the hot list and decided to cut my losses with the PX and put in s300s and love them
i did hit this year and last years xforged with 6.0s and i hit them much better than expected but found them to be a hard feeling iron much like the nike cci's
it doesnt hurt to try the cobras and even the titleist zm's and zb's which i found more forgiving then they look
good luck finding a nice new set but if you arent 100% sold on them i wouldnt change whats working for you

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
i like the look of the mp 57. the feel is about the same, although MP 57 feels little more solid, probably due to "pocket cavities" in MP52.

as far as distance loss, you can't compare one manufacture's irons to another unless you have checked to see the loft and the length are the same. of course the shafts has to be same flex and model.

some manufacturer's PW loft start at 44* and that's between my 8 and 9 iron. of course if i hit my PW (50*) vs a particular brand w/ pw at 44* one w/ 44* will go 2 clubs further.

however, cobra pro cb is an excellent iron set that i wouldn't mind using time to time. they feel softer than other cavity backs i've tried.

buykrux

May 15, 2009
i like the look of the mp 57. the feel is about the same, although MP 57 feels little more solid, probably due to "pocket cavities" in MP52.

as far as distance loss, you can't compare one manufacture's irons to another unless you have checked to see the loft and the length are the same. of course the shafts has to be same flex and model.

some manufacturer's PW loft start at 44* and that's between my 8 and 9 iron. of course if i hit my PW (50*) vs a particular brand w/ pw at 44* one w/ 44* will go 2 clubs further.

however, cobra pro cb is an excellent iron set that i wouldn't mind using time to time. they feel softer than other cavity backs i've tried.

you are about the 30th person to tell me about the lies and the lies were checked before i even bought the clubs
exact same lofts, same shaft and played to the same length so there was obviously something wrong there
even the 2 pros at my club found a similar result
personally i think there are much better irons out there than the 57s IMO

tacks451

May 17, 2009
get a set of cobras!!! i have the new cobra pro mb and they are the best i have ever hit. I have mint set of ping eye2+ coppers for sale ;-)

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
you are about the 30th person to tell me about the lies and the lies were checked before i even bought the clubs
exact same lofts, same shaft and played to the same length so there was obviously something wrong there
even the 2 pros at my club found a similar result
personally i think there are much better irons out there than the 57s IMO

lie and loft are two different things. the loft will make majority of distance difference. also, the club length is different b/w different brands.

i was just saying that there are other variables than just "2 clubs longer." i truely do not believe a pro CB is 2 clubs (that's about 30yds) longer than mizuno sets if they were exactly the same except for the head design.

did your pros make measurements of the flex? were the shafts in same spec? same swing weight? was the cobra sets 2 clubs longer than other manufacturers iron sets? i had 4 different shaft put in my irons, and they all had different characteristics and also the distance difference. i went with the most accurate shaft, although it wasn't the longest.

i tried mizuno mx200, and w/ it's lighter swingweight and offsets, i keep hitting it little fat, and the launch monitor show that i was avg around 170yds w/ a 5 iron. i also tried mp 62, w/ less off set and little heavier and stiffer shaft and i was getting ~195yds, which is about normal distance for me. so my guess is that your swing probably fit better w/ the cobra set, whether it be due to shaft, offset, swingweight, etc then MP32 or MP57. one club does not fit every swing. you gotta find your set up. Every single clubs in my bag are changed from their original specs, even though i was measured by "pros" as "standard."

and lastly, there's thing little thing called "confidence." if you like the way cobra set looked, and you feel comfortable, you will swing better, hit on the swing spot more often, and thus hit further. this is why i play blades. i feel more comfortable having thinner top line of the club, not because i have the perfect swing to hit them. but 7 hndcp isn't too bad no?

not saying what you're saying isn't true, but just know that there's reason behind it. and my apologies if you felt offended.

take it easy mang..

tacks451

May 17, 2009
its true the mp 57 on a 165 yd par three he had to hit a 5 iron yet with his ta2's he could hit a 7. the factory specs of these were checked and he isnt the first to get rid of them. the pro at the club got a set and went back to hi sold ping irons

buykrux

May 15, 2009
twofast2s, no offence taken i just dont think you read my comments throughly or didnt get what i was saying
sorry when i said lie i ment loft
i checked online to make sure the new set had the exact specs that matched my 2 previous sets
both previous sets were standard and matched up to mizunos lengths and lofts, as for swing weight, i dont think that would make a 20 yard difference...
both previous sets, the mizuno and my current cobras all have s300s, the cobras came with PX which were pulled after playing a round due to terrible hooks on the low irons, straight mid irons and fading out the long irons and not to mention the ridiculous height on them
you cannot compare mx 200s and mp 62s, for one the mx are i believe 2 or 3* stronger and also do not come with the same shafts as the 62s, one comes with DGXP and the other PX and DGS300 and R300
i steer everyone who asks about mizuno irons to go try them for themselves and they can see it for themselves, 2 pros and myself cant be the only ones who noticed the difference
as for looks, they look just like the cobras at address, a bit bigger than my old clevelands and tittys
there is something definitely wrong with the 57s where it be poor engineering or a lemon mold who knows
i made sure majority of the extraneous variables were taken care of before picking the new set out
the only thing i am not 100% about is the swingweight, but after using more than 10 different sets of irons from i3s to zb's without much of a variance in distance or accuracy i find it hard to believe that the swingweight changes could be at fault
anyways i have finally settle on a set that feels and preforms great, now just to decided if i want to bore them out and get them frequencied...hmmmmmm

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.