• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mizuno MX500 driver

alw041

Sep 29, 2006
I demoed a couple of drivers the other day, and even though it wasn't the one i thought i would like....i ended up loving it. I hit a Mizuno MX500 10.5 loft and reg flex shaft.

I really like how it hit, but i was thinking of getting one with 8.5-9.5 loft with a stiff flex. I was wondering if i changed the loft and flex, would it hit much differently than the one i tried out? I really liked how it hit, and i don't want it to feel much different.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Loft and flex make clubs worlds apart.

How fast do you swing? What shaft was in it? How were you hitting the one you hit?

It's tricky, but I'd still recommend at least trying to demoing something before you buy it, the exact club.

OP
A

alw041

Sep 29, 2006
I swing 120-130mph according to what their equipment measured. I was hitting one with a adilia reg flex shaft, and i was hitting it very well. I was thinking about getting one with stiff flex and a lower loft.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
I swing 120-130mph according to what their equipment measured. I was hitting one with a adilia reg flex shaft, and i was hitting it very well. I was thinking about getting one with stiff flex and a lower loft.

haha i dont think so. either you're lying about your SS (or have it confused with ball speed - noob problem), or you used to play a big slice and the noodle shaft helps square the club at impact.
just saying that i REALLY dont think reg flex would work with 120-130 mph swing speed.

OP
A

alw041

Sep 29, 2006
Actually not sure if they measured ball speed or swing speed. The device behind me place about 4 feet behind where i would make contact. The guy said i definitely needed a Stiff shaft. Measured....112, 120, then 126

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
Actually not sure if they measured ball speed or swing speed. The device behind me place about 4 feet behind where i would make contact. The guy said i definitely needed a Stiff shaft. Measured....112, 120, then 126

hm.. weird how the reg works better for you ...
have you got a smooth tempo?

OP
A

alw041

Sep 29, 2006
Oh...i demoed the mizuno 500 the day before. When i was at the golf shop getting the speed tested, i was hitting a cobra driver with a stiff flex.

OP
A

alw041

Sep 29, 2006
Not exactly sure about how smooth my tempo is, but i am sure it is pretty good.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
haha i dont think so. either you're lying about your SS (or have it confused with ball speed - noob problem), or you used to play a big slice and the noodle shaft helps square the club at impact.
just saying that i REALLY dont think reg flex would work with 120-130 mph swing speed.

I played a regular flex shaft on a 10* Warbird about 10 years ago. I hit that thing over the driving range fench on 1 out of 5 shots. The only problem was the shafts would break all the time. Callaway got sick of sending me a new Club all the time and finally asked me to return the new club they just sent me for store credit on a club with a hozle on it. Swing speed was probably in the 120+mph range back then.

How far are you hitting your drives? 120 - 130 mph swing speed should net you 285+ yards of carry as long as you are getting into the magical launch angle at that particular club head speed. If you are under 250 yards that is the ball speed that is being measured. If you are swinging that fast go with an Xtra stiff shaft possibly even tipped and a lower lofted club.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Well, it also depends on the shaft, more than one might think. Rockford enlightened me to this.

I love the Blue Tour X(pretty stiff), yet the V2 in a stiff felt like a 2x4 to me.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006

Don't be so quick to dismiss, gorillas play golf too.

OP
A

alw041

Sep 29, 2006
My average drive is around 270ish....an occasional 290-300 yard one

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.